The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

13 hours ago, AW saint said:

Jacob Bedeau released by Morecambe

He turned down a new contract , and has a few clubs after him. If you believe the Morecambe forum , he's already agreed a deal with Robinson ?

1 hour ago, medals said:

The problem was based around two things :-

1. Injuries, getting up to speed with us    and

2. He was touted as a goalscorer.

His second season should see him more settled and used to how we play and hopefully up a notch in fitness.

Goals? All depends on how he is being played and what positions he gets into.

The settled squad will kick on next season overall I expect and the taste of Europe will help. 

In addition a few really good additions again is always appreciated. 

I think it will also do him and Boyd-Munce the world of good being involved in the national set-up again leading up to our first games. 

57 minutes ago, SS77 said:

He was touted as a goal scorer in a part time league though - I don’t think many fans appreciate just how big the jump is.

IMO we’re a far better team with McMenamn in it than not.

Yes your 1st point is bang on, however I think that there is some correlation in folks heads. i.e. he has an eye for goals, so he will replicate that with us. (It didnt help that he was purchased for "big" money [for us]. Expectaions were higher).

Jump for sure, but if is more fit, settled and up to speed, that will help in spades.

I'm glad you are so positive about him as there are plenty who are quick at being critical of our players.

On your other point I'm not sure that's true when he's expected to do too much defending as a wingback - but that's just my opinion.

20 minutes ago, billyg said:

He turned down a new contract , and has a few clubs after him. If you believe the Morecambe forum , he's already agreed a deal with Robinson ?

Since SR left Morcambe they've went down hill big time.

What an investment he's been for us.

JB definitely expected in Paisley by many of us - we'll know for sure soon.

Posted (edited)

I expect next season to be a lot tougher for us I reckon Aberdeen will be much stronger, Hibs :whistle probably  stronger and Dundee Utd a vast improvement on Livi - if Saints make the Top6 for a third consecutive season I reckon that SR would be the GOAT manager of my lifetime which goes back past Sir AF.

@Arch Stanton

Edited by btb

37 minutes ago, btb said:

I expect next season to be a lot tougher for us I reckon Aberdeen will be much stronger, Hibs :whistle probably  stronger and Dundee Utd a vast improvement on Livi - if Saints make the Top6 for a third consecutive season I reckon that SR would be the GOAT manager of my lifetime which goes back past Sir AF.

@Arch Stanton

He’s definitely our best since SAF. I don’t even think it’s close!

1 hour ago, billyg said:

I think we only have one centre half spot available though, cant see us signing both him and Balmer.

1 hour ago, btb said:

@Arch Stanton

Yeah, Aberdeen found a bit of form too late this season and have the spending power to make a difference next season.

Dundee Utd a massive upgrade to Livy, though they need to hit the ground running and would probably accept a high bottom half of the table finish on their return. All down to recruitment too as I felt they signed a lot of championship level players last season bar probably Moult.

Dundee will be at it again next season. Relied on a lot of loan players so will be interesting to se how they recruit.

Hibs have a decent budget too and have been way underperforming. A change of manager may have them challenging again

Can't rule out Motherwell either here. For years they were hitting the heights of the top half. They have been similar this season to Aberdeen. Hit form at the wrong time on a small budget. 

Killie will be in amongst it again and will probably be one of the favourites to push top 6 again.

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

I think we only have one centre half spot available though, cant see us signing both him and Balmer.

Was there not some feedback to say Balmer has knocked us back.

Id say Bedeau is a more realistic signing target now that he’s a free agent.

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Was there not some feedback to say Balmer has knocked us back.

Id say Bedeau is a more realistic signing target now that he’s a free agent.

Rooney signing put an end to any chance of Balmer coming in. Bolton, Fraser, Gogic and Rooney can all cover at RCB - any defender coming in will be left sided so Bedeau will likely be a target.

Think Balmer can play left or right sided CB. He is right footed but trivial things like that have never stopped Robbo.

12 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I'm greedy . I would like us to sign Balmer and Bedeau . And play Gogic in midfield .

To be fair we're going to need a big squad to deal with the rigours of group stage European football every Thursday.

18 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I'm greedy . I would like us to sign Balmer and Bedeau . And play Gogic in midfield .

Gogic is a headless chicken in midfield. It’s no coincidence he had the best year of his career playing at centre back, that’s his best position by a country mile.

Gogic is definitely better at centre half and was excellent last season, but he's fine to sit in defensive midfield on occasion. Certainly would never describe him as a headless chicken, regardless of position. 

8 hours ago, saintmurn said:

Gogic is definitely better at centre half and was excellent last season, but he's fine to sit in defensive midfield on occasion. Certainly would never describe him as a headless chicken, regardless of position. 

He chased the ball constantly and left gaps all over the park when he was midfield - he’s a lot more disciplined when he plays at the back and it suits our team perfectly

8 hours ago, saintmurn said:

Headless chicken is perhaps a bit harsh.

He is prone to the odd absolute howler at centre half where his feet sort of get tangled up in themselves and playing as a holding mid where a lot of play goes through you, that sort of gets magnified a bit so I agree with Sam in that his head goes on occasion far more from centre mid. 

Just now, SS77 said:

He chased the ball constantly and left gaps all over the park when he was midfield - he’s a lot more disciplined when he plays at the back and it suits our team perfectly

Did he not end up sent off twice against us for Accies playing in centre mid? Granted one was a clear goalscoring chance where he had no real option but to drag our player back but still.