The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

24 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Should we now start worrying about losing Stephen Robinson to Hearts before Halloween ?

Hearts look a very poor side, they’ve had a disastrous start to the season, it would not be a surprise to see Naismith be the first manager to get punted.

1 hour ago, Bakero said:

Keeping the Van Veen dream alive by sharing my favourite fact about him:

IMG_3340.jpeg

Scunthorpe rejected a bid of 4 million quid for him from China in 2017. 

He was top quality for us particularly in those last few months where he was a genuine joy to watch whether he can reproduce that form (whether he can be arsed to is another matter) remains to be seen.

5 hours ago, Smithers Jones said:

I thought you should have won the first leg by more than two. I only managed to watch the last 10 minutes today and the 3rd goal was a disaster so late in the game. I enjoyed watching your team over the last two rounds.

Thanks!

They played really well at home. I think they ended up being focused on keeping the 2-0 lead instead of hunting the 3rd goal. Brann dont really know how to defend and should've never stopped attacking.

9 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Any idea of what these lads are likely to be earning at a club such as Wolves?

It would be worth it if they get enough so they can tuck away a few quid to put down on a house or put themselves through college/uni. But they could get released and be back to square one.

There's stuff from West Ham a few years ago saying the average wage in their u21/u23 squad is £5k a week.

6 hours ago, RagaRocker said:

Thanks!

They played really well at home. I think they ended up being focused on keeping the 2-0 lead instead of hunting the 3rd goal. Brann dont really know how to defend and should've never stopped attacking.

Agreed mate. You are great going forward, but when you stop pushing, it all falls apart. I don’t know how your manager/ team can’t see that. The best form of defence is attack

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

There's stuff from West Ham a few years ago saying the average wage in their u21/u23 squad is £5k a week.

In that case, I can't blame any young player for moving from the likes of St Mirren. Hopefully they've got their heads screwed on and can save a good chunk of that money.

Got to wonder where football in Scotland, or any of the smaller UEFA countries, goes from here. We've never been able to compete with the big teams in England, then we couldn't compete with the top 3/4 leagues. Now we can't even compete with youth teams.

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

In that case, I can't blame any young player for moving from the likes of St Mirren. Hopefully they've got their heads screwed on and can save a good chunk of that money.

Got to wonder where football in Scotland, or any of the smaller UEFA countries, goes from here. We've never been able to compete with the big teams in England, then we couldn't compete with the top 3/4 leagues. Now we can't even compete with youth teams.

I always wonder if other small nations beside big nations with (I think) similar cultures (Belgium/France, Austria/Germany) have the same issue?

Always mean to try and look into it but either forget or never find anything.

I guess, eventually, clubs will have to start paying kids more and/or playing them younger, to have any chance of keeping the better ones.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I always wonder if other small nations beside big nations with (I think) similar cultures (Belgium/France, Austria/Germany) have the same issue?

I'd imagine it's not to the extent we do as youth players can't switch to different countries any more until they turn 18. 

So they will of course still be at risk of losing young players internally within their country but unless there is dual citizenship involved, they can't leave to play in a foreign land anymore until after they are 18.

The days of Messi, Fabregas, Pique being snatched up as children for foreign academies are gone.

The problem though is that although different FAs, the UK is one country and there's nothing FIFA or UEFA rules can do to prevent it happening as it would be contravening UK employment law to prevent such moves .

If Scotland had become independent in 2014, we'd be having a VERY different conversation just now.

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Always mean to try and look into it but either forget or never find anything.

I guess, eventually, clubs will have to start paying kids more and/or playing them younger, to have any chance of keeping the better ones.

I think the EPL was the league doing it to everyone. They were signing players from all over Europe at 16/17. They can't now because of Brexit so it's only really us and Ireland/Wales they can do it in now. 

I'm sure Barcelona got into trouble a few years back as well for poaching youngsters they shouldn't have been?

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, GAD said:

I think the EPL was the league doing it to everyone. They were signing players from all over Europe at 16/17. They can't now because of Brexit so it's only really us and Ireland/Wales they can do it in now. 

I'm sure Barcelona got into trouble a few years back as well for poaching youngsters they shouldn't have been?

Partly brexit but it is the same the world over as FIFA have rules now that were brought in to prevent a situation like this and ongoing exploitation. Even without Brexit, this would still be happening albeit to a lesser extent than it is now, only the truly exceptional talent would be getting poached.

For every Messi, there were 100 youngsters brought to countries from all over the world and ditched before they hit 18. This now cannot happen.

Edited by djchapsticks

So what is the situation today, are we waiting to ship out Sutherland in order to bring in van Veen? Or are they separate things.

Shame to lose Sutherland, but under contract I'd hope we manage to insert some add on or sell on clause.

As for van Veen, I trust Robinson to make the right call, but I'm not overly convinced he is the answer.

11 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Any idea of what these lads are likely to be earning at a club such as Wolves?

It would be worth it if they get enough so they can tuck away a few quid to put down on a house or put themselves through college/uni. But they could get released and be back to square one.

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I remember an interview with Micah Richards, where he said he went from £500pw at the age of 17 to £5kpw when he made it through to first team (this is Man City of course), then it jumped to 50k per week on his next contract (again Man City crazy spend). That is absolutely insane. I'm not saying that Wolves offer the same to 17/18 years olds (possibly close to the £5k it if they make the first team), though it just shows the gulf in finances.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan earns at least 3-4 times what he was on with us at Wolves.
If you have a look at Owen Beck at Liverpool for example, he's rumoured online to be earning around £3k a week.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

So what is the situation today, are we waiting to ship out Sutherland in order to bring in van Veen? Or are they separate things.

Shame to lose Sutherland, but under contract I'd hope we manage to insert some add on or sell on clause.

As for van Veen, I trust Robinson to make the right call, but I'm not overly convinced he is the answer.

I think at least 1 player in was regardless of Sutherland leaving or not. It wont be a like for like signing, though it also wouldn't surprise me if we bring in a wide player also. 

There is also the possibility teams approach us for our players. Most notably the like of Taylor or Boyd-Munce, so we will need a plan in action incase that also happens.

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

I think at least 1 player in was regardless of Sutherland leaving or not. It wont be a like for like signing, though it also wouldn't surprise me if we bring in a wide player also. 

There is also the possibility teams approach us for our players. Most notably the like of Taylor or Boyd-Munce, so we will need a plan in action incase that also happens.

Knew about the Boyd-Munce chat, but that was weeks back, didn't think that was still on the go.

With Taylor, which one, Fraser or Richard?

1 minute ago, smellthepaw said:

Taylor has had a very good start of the season . Wouldn't surprise me if teams come in for him .

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Knew about the Boyd-Munce chat, but that was weeks back, didn't think that was still on the go.

With Taylor, which one, Fraser or Richard?

I think with one or two clubs showing interest in Boyd-Munce, there is still time for someone to step in with an acceptable bid. He has been on off injured the last month or so, though hes just been included in the NI squad for the nations leagues so he cant be far away from a return.

I was referring to Richard Taylor. He's started the season off extremely well. I'd go as far as saying hes our biggest asset. I would love him to sign on longer though as he has huge potential to go far in the game.

I do like CBM. For the most part, he's been very good for us and was a fairly low risk signing. I think if we're moving on a midfielder this window though, then he's the obvious option.

Young, playing well, an international and one who can generate a fairly decent transfer fee.

I'd prefer to keep him, but if we're letting one go, he's one that makes sense for all parties.

Leyton Orient offered a derisory £175k for CBM - a 24yo full internationalist. I do not think we should be accepting a slightly increased offer. He's had an injury and been forced to play this season resulting in poorer performances.

However he is an excellent player that we need to keep if we are aiming at top 6 again. Maybe offers of £500k would be more tempting but doubt anyone will offer that.

59 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I remember an interview with Micah Richards, where he said he went from £500pw at the age of 17 to £5kpw when he made it through to first team (this is Man City of course), then it jumped to 50k per week on his next contract (again Man City crazy spend). That is absolutely insane. I'm not saying that Wolves offer the same to 17/18 years olds (possibly close to the £5k it if they make the first team), though it just shows the gulf in finances.
I wouldn't be surprised if Ethan earns at least 3-4 times what he was on with us at Wolves.
If you have a look at Owen Beck at Liverpool for example, he's rumoured online to be earning around £3k a week.

I think that would probably be a few years before Man City were taken over - making the figures even more nuts!

Some of Michael Calvin's more recent books are a fascinating and depressing read into youth football and academies in England.

Edited by Stu