The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, Yorick said:

When Ross left St. Mirren back 2018, did he leave on good terms? 

It wasn't bad terms. The way Sunderland went about their business was underhanded (verbalised as 'skulduggery' hilariously) but he was always going to go. Sunderland are a massive club and the step from us to them is far bigger than the one Jim Goodwin is currently making. He even got a good send off in the friendly we had with Sunderland that pre-season.

The bad terms sort of manifested themselves in the years afterwards when it seemed he wanted to take everyone he ever worked with at St. Mirren with him on his travels. Led to a bit of bad feeling.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

If Jack Ross won't take it - and I don't think he will - what about, and bear with me here... Danny Lennon?

No chance. He's not exactly done anything since. 

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

Lennon was sacked unfairly imo, he was terrible at times, but to win a cup then get your jotters is pretty shit.

I mean really? We started the season 7 games without a win and knocked out the same cup we won by QoS. We then had 2 wins in 14 games from January to March in the same season. It was absolutely the right not to renew his deal, and he was lucky to see out the season. The issue was ballsing up the next appointment. 

7 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Why? Genuine question. There might be a dearth of options. We never seem to attract the caliber of candidates that we assume we will.

Seems like he's just about to be sacked by Clyde right enough, so would meet the no compo required.  A recentpost from their thread below, all of that was applicable to him at us in 2014 :D 

image.thumb.png.9e3eeb3a87832969d4e0b349377a3827.png

1 minute ago, flyingscot said:

I mean really? We started the season 7 games without a win and knocked out the same cup we won by QoS. We then had 2 wins in 14 games from January to March in the same season. It was absolutely the right not to renew his deal, and he was lucky to see out the season. The issue was ballsing up the next appointment. 

I mean sure, he wasn't having a good start that's true. Not the first manager to have a bad start with us though.

It's the other issue regarding Lennon that I am more uncomfortable with.

Danny Lennon was a crap manager with a very talented squad. He won a cup and had a few famous victories over the OF because he had a squad that could rise to that level, but it didn't happen nearly often enough under Lennon (with plenty of humiliating defeats for good measure) and that's why he got sacked in the end and has never troubled a premier League club since.

26 minutes ago, Lex said:

Seems like he's just about to be sacked by Clyde right enough, so would meet the no compo required.  A recentpost from their thread below, all of that was applicable to him at us in 2014 :D 

image.thumb.png.9e3eeb3a87832969d4e0b349377a3827.png

Fair enough. And yeah the way that is worded is uncannily similar to where we were. 

I don't feel as scunnered by this as I did about Ross, though not quite sure why. I just felt Jim 'got' the club, and his recruitment was, by and large, very successful. That'll be the thing we miss the most: Jim's ability to sell us to players. That, and his beautiful face. 

I actually think the timing is ok; our squad is easily good enough for top six. We're actually a decent prospect for a new manager: safe for this season, lots of time to assess the squad, work on PCAs, get extensions handed out to the right players, etc. 

52 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

It wasn't bad terms. The way Sunderland went about their business was underhanded (verbalised as 'skulduggery' hilariously) but he was always going to go. Sunderland are a massive club and the step from us to them is far bigger than the one Jim Goodwin is currently making. He even got a good send off in the friendly we had with Sunderland that pre-season.

You feel if anyone held animosity towards Ross for leaving, it was very quickly replaced by ire towards his successor.

8 minutes ago, Gareth_Glasgow said:

I don't blame Jim for leaving while we're on a good run and his stock is high, but I still think he could probably see out the season with us and get a better offer if he keeps doing well.

I'm really worried we're going to appoint some complete dafty to replace him.

What worries me is we won't know we've appointed an idiot till the summer. It would be quite hard for someone to really, really f**k it up from here, but in the summer when we have to replace Alnwick, Gogic, Jones and Ronan?

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Why? Genuine question. There might be a dearth of options. We never seem to attract the caliber of candidates that we assume we will.

Because he's a honking manager who is struggling in League One with Clyde. What makes him an attractive appointment? You've only mentioned him because he happened managed us previously.  Why don't we go for Paul Hartley? He's top of that league or Ian Murray ?

7 minutes ago, GAD said:

What worries me is we won't know we've appointed an idiot till the summer. It would be quite hard for someone to really, really f**k it up from here, but in the summer when we have to replace Alnwick, Gogic, Jones and Ronan?

I mean, really, isn't that an argument for Goodwin to go now? Perverse as that sounds, if his "star is rising" we could be sitting at the end of the season, after doing well, and Goodwin being courted away leaving a new person to do short term planning. As we are "relatively safe" now, a new manager will have several months to work out how they'll replace the players you mention.

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

I mean, really, isn't that an argument for Goodwin to go now? Perverse as that sounds, if his "star is rising" we could be sitting at the end of the season, after doing well, and Goodwin being courted away leaving a new person to do short term planning. As we are "relatively safe" now, a new manager will have several months to work out how they'll replace the players you mention.

Spot on. Better now than pre season

10 minutes ago, Officer Michaels said:

You've only mentioned him because he happened managed us previously.

Partly true. I also just wanted to prompt some debate as I want to move on from Goodwin asap once he's out the door, and I knew Lennon would provoke a response.

16 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yes. I've been making that point repeatedly over the last two days. Doesn't mean what I've said couldn't happen.