The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

32 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yeah. I totally get that. The manager has hinted he might change formation next season.

I just hate the idea of losing another decent young academy graduate. 

We have lost Ethan Erahon and Dylan Reid already this season. I was really hoping Reid would get a decent chance to play and shine in the first team before he departed. 

What we would all like to see is a terrific goal scoring striker coming through the academy.

Could Thommo’s son be as good or better than his auld man in the black and white stripes?

A forlorn hope in today's game.

Even the two arse cheeks can't stop EPL teams hoovering up their best talent at a very young age.

We've got no chance.

I'd have loved to have seen Reid in the 1st XI, but realistically he wasn't going to dislodge Baccus, Gogic, Erhahon or O'Hara.

Also, the major point of our youth system is to produce players to sell and make some money. So "losing" players is unfortunately what our club is going to be accustomed to. We can only hope that any sell on clauses that we have, bear considerable fruit. Much like John McGinn's has.

Henderson is playing well in a league where the standard isn't really up to much. Not that our level is great either! I may be wrong, but I'm not convinced that he's as good a player as Erhahon or Reid.

I suspect that if his agent is touting him around, it will be to English league 1 or 2 clubs, where he can get a significantly larger wage compared to most clubs in Scotland.

Edited by FTOF

Reid has apparently looked a complete standout playing in the U18 Premier League down south for Palace.

Little surprise though, he looked a much bigger physical specimen in the December game at Tynecastle than he did last season so he's likely more developed than a lot of the young lads he is playing beside.

3 hours ago, aldo_j said:

The problem for Jay is that he’s doesn’t fit into the current formation and I don’t think he can play the wingback role. Or be better than Strain.

If Robbo switches it to 4-3-3 next season, or at least on occasion, then there’s definitely a place for Jay. He’s just been unfortunate that during his time in the first team we’ve typically played 3-5-2.

My choice would be to put him on a two year contract with a view of him replacing Strain . Would even consider putting him out on loan for the first six months of next season .

I like Henderson but I think some of the onus also needs to be on him getting himself into the team, rather than just saying the system doesn't suit him. Half the wingbacks in the league are converted wingers these days. Both Strain and Small are pretty attacking and pushed up, and also if Henderson is playing on the right he'll have Fraser behind him and Baccus inside so there will be plenty of licence to get forward at every opportunity. If he can get himself fit enough to run the line, and enough about him defensively (where, lets be honest, none of Strain, Tanser or Small excel at) then I think he can be a really good player as a right wing back.

9 hours ago, GAD said:

I like Henderson but I think some of the onus also needs to be on him getting himself into the team, rather than just saying the system doesn't suit him. Half the wingbacks in the league are converted wingers these days. Both Strain and Small are pretty attacking and pushed up, and also if Henderson is playing on the right he'll have Fraser behind him and Baccus inside so there will be plenty of licence to get forward at every opportunity. If he can get himself fit enough to run the line, and enough about him defensively (where, lets be honest, none of Strain, Tanser or Small excel at) then I think he can be a really good player as a right wing back.

Both Strain and Small can defend very ably. Henderson hasn't shown anything when he has played for us that indicates that he can do that.

Henderson is a very good young player,  but he's not particularly good defensively I wouldn't say.

He's unfortunate in that he is actually an out-and-out winger and I can't see him playing any length of time at wingback. I hope he proves me wrong.

In saying that, I seem to recall Robinson saying that the current 3-5-2 with the wingbacks isn't actually his preferred system, so perhaps we will see a change of shape next season once we have done our transfer business. That could be a way into the team for Henderson.

It'd be a shame to lose the boy as I think many of our fans do really rate him and I'd certainly be sorry to see him go.

11 hours ago, FTOF said:

Both Strain and Small can defend very ably. Henderson hasn't shown anything when he has played for us that indicates that he can do that.

Well then he'll never deserve a place in this team. The world has moved on a bit from wingers who stand out wide doing nothing untill you have the ball.

I just don't see Henderson developing into a wing back any time soon. Defensively he is very poor as was shown when he came on at Perth earlier in the season. Could see him in a front three or playing behind a striker.

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Even our strikers defend like fucking dogs.

That's different to being a defender, to be fair.

I'd say mentality, persistence, fitness and work-rate are what's required for an attacker to defend from the front. Knowing when to press and when not to can be coached. If we went 4-3-3 I think Henderson could play one of the wider roles, and he brings a lot to the side in an attacking sense.

29 minutes ago, Drooper said:

My photo memories on my phone from 5 years ago today are of the title winning match and glorious celebrations in the Bankhouse that evening.

5 years ago today?! Can that be right?

Screenshot_20230414_090152_OneDrive.jpg

Sure is. When you think we just celebrated the 10th anniversary of the League Cup win, and the ‘new’ stadium is heading at breakneck speed towards its 15th anniversary, makes you think indeed, ‘that can’t be right’…. Bloody is though. I also think it’s 20 years since I last played a game of five a sides, and 40 years since I was any fcuking good at five a sides. It’s a mind-melt…. I know for a fact, May 6th 2024 will be the 50th anniversary of my first-ever concert. Slade at the Apollo…. F actual FS.

🥸

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I mean it's been three years since Hearts were convinced league reconstruction was the best way forward for Scottish football. Can't imagine why they've not really mentioned that much since then.

On the flip side, we can celebrate the 20 minute anniversary without an EPL manager being bagged. Cheers everyone.

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/stephen-robinson-warns-clubs-st-26695454

Has anyone been enquiring about O'Hara? They must have been if Robinson sees fit to mention him being priced out of a move.

Under normal circumstances, this would have been the beginning of the end. He'll run his deal down and be gone to a bigger side in summer 2024 so it's reassuring knowing that he's going nowhere unless the money on offer genuinely can't be knocked back.

Also feel the article is doing him and his form a disservice by saying he's scored 10 goals 'albeit mostly penalties' as if that's the eye-catching factor to his contributions this season - he brings so much more to the starting XI than a goal threat and he's definitely not a player I'm expecting a goal from on a weekly basis.

35 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

https://www.footballscotland.co.uk/spfl/scottish-premiership/stephen-robinson-warns-clubs-st-26695454

Has anyone been enquiring about O'Hara? They must have been if Robinson sees fit to mention him being priced out of a move.

Under normal circumstances, this would have been the beginning of the end. He'll run his deal down and be gone to a bigger side in summer 2024 so it's reassuring knowing that he's going nowhere unless the money on offer genuinely can't be knocked back.

Also feel the article is doing him and his form a disservice by saying he's scored 10 goals 'albeit mostly penalties' as if that's the eye-catching factor to his contributions this season - he brings so much more to the starting XI than a goal threat and he's definitely not a player I'm expecting a goal from on a weekly basis.

I wonder if the new 2 year deal was the reason for him signing. If a bigger move happens then both the club and the player benefit.

1 hour ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

O'Hara's spell in England wasn't exactly a success, so it wouldn't surprise me if he fancied another crack at it at some point in his career. At least now, if someone does want him then we won't be taken for a ride.

Pay up or go away.

Of course £800k plus would be good to rake in, but we are gonna need O'Hara for Europe next season and some other very good additions too - bigger squad likewise.

There will be some others leaving anyway.

A cynical or paranoid person would highlight the coincidence that the manager of an in-form team is being asked about the future of his in-form captain, despite him recently signing a new contract, the day before he takes his team to play one of the Old Firm.

But I'm not a cynical or paranoid person so I won't be highlighting that coincidence.