The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, SS77 said:

The issue is that Hemming will be on a hefty wage as he’s still on Middlesbrough’s books.

Maybe, I wouldn't have the first idea. I have enough trust in Robinson that he's not going to break the bank for anyone though.

If we reinvest the Baccus money and end up with McMenamin, a left back and a centre half we might not have been able to afford otherwise, are we going to say we've dealt not bad with the situation?

Edited by djchapsticks

I'd also suggest that if we've made a bid of £50k for McMenamin and it was knocked back, going in £25k more means that we're not a million miles off what Glentoran will be asking for him.

I'd imagine 100k plus add ons would probably land him.

57 minutes ago, Div said:

Whether he's any good or not is open to debate, but he's far more experienced than Urminsky is and they are pretty much the same age.

Every single time I saw him in a Killie shirt in the premiership it was like it was the first time he'd ever seen a football, let alone played the game before.

49 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Hemming is 23. Young for a keeper, there's every possibility he'll improve if fact, I'd say it's likely he'll improve.

Where are you getting the notion Hemming will improve? He was so bad he had to be replaced by Walker, who in turn was pretty bad.

What's more Urminsky is 24.

All in all, this is my opinion on the matter...

mh8harU.png

Like DJ I'd be quite excited to see what Robbo and Foyle could do in the market with a wee bit cash to play with.

I'm very relaxed about the current recruitment position. Good things come to those who wait!

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

I've just invested £1000 in Pampers shares. I fully expect to quadruple my money by Tuesday going by this thread. Get a grip guys !!!

If you don't get worried at our best players going out of the club for peanuts, our offers elsewhere are all being knocked back and in turn we are being linked with trash like Hemming, then I don't know when you will be worried. I am by no means a knicker wetter, and I have no intention of being so now, but it's a little unfair to question people asking wtf is going on.

I trust Robinson to put a decent team out on the field, I also trust the club not to bankrupt us in a forlorn hope of chasing a top 4 or something, but almost everything coming out of the club since the end of the season has been negative.

Edited by Ric

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

If you don't get worried at our best players going out of the club for peanuts, our offers elsewhere are all being knocked back and in turn we are being linked with trash like Hemming, then I don't know when you will be worried. I am by no means a knicker wetter, and I have no intention of being so now, but it's a little unfair to question people asking wtf is going on.

I trust Robinson to put a decent team out on the field, I also trust the club not to bankrupt us in a forlorn hope of chasing a top 4 or something, but almost everything coming out of the club since the end of the season has been negative.

Not a knicker wetter though. Fucking hell 🤣

Just now, Div said:

Not a knicker wetter though. Fucking hell 🤣

No examples to counter the point though.. 🙄 ..care to provide some?

You know me well enough to know that while I might be a miserable c*nt at times, I don't invent stuff to hammer the club with. I think I'm justified here to say it's looking all a bit messy.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

What exactly has "come out of the club"?

There's not one thing recently, other than Dunne re-signing, that has "come out of the club".

The most recent discussions have centred on internet rumours and unsubstantiated speculation.

Edited by FTOF

15 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not at all worried.

I'd be concerned if Carson was being replaced by Hemmings as our number 1 for next season but until someone says otherwise that's not the case. If there's an issue there between player and management, I fully expect them to sit down and hash it out. 

Carson is under contract for another two full years so definitely wouldn't be going anywhere unless the cash being dished out for him was enough for us to bring in an established number one as his replacement - that I'm confident of. You don't just give away your best players because there has been a disagreement.

1 minute ago, FTOF said:

What exactly has "come out of the club"?

I was meaning in a whole, rather than official press announcements. The ticket sales have been good, so I will roll back my "almost everything" statement, and in turn I suppose you could argue that "no news is good news", so silence is not necessarily bad.

Allow me to revalue my appraisal to one word "lacklustre".

Just now, Ric said:

No examples to counter the point though.. 🙄 ..care to provide some?

You know me well enough to know that while I might be a miserable c*nt at times, I don't invent stuff to hammer the club with. I think I'm justified here to say it's looking all a bit messy.

Well, you've said everything that's come out of the club since the end of the season has been negative.

Here's what has ACTUALLY come out of the club since the season finished.

Caolan Boyd-Munce signed a new contract on May 31st
We announced a new multi-year kit deal with Macron on May 31st
The manager and his assistant agreed a new 3 year contract on June 12th
We announced season ticket sales were up 25% on the same time last year on June 13th
We announced 3000 season ticket sales on June 14th
Charles Dunne re-signed for the club on June 22nd

The only negative thing I can see coming out of the club since the season finished is Curtis Main turning down a new contract. That door isn't even closed yet.

Don't confuse twitter and forum rumours with facts Ric.

4 minutes ago, Ric said:

I was meaning in a whole, rather than official press announcements. The ticket sales have been good, so I will roll back my "almost everything" statement, and in turn I suppose you could argue that "no news is good news", so silence is not necessarily bad.

Allow me to revalue my appraisal to one word "lacklustre".

Remarkable that you don't see the manager signing a new 3 year deal as being a good news item LOLZ

We're in the position just now of waiting for the players we want.

That has evolved a wee bit over the last 5 years. It's gone from firmly in the 'we are waiting on club X signing a player so they'll release the player that we want and until then it's up in the air' to 'we are negotiating with clubs over players in contracts who we may meet their fee and we may not'.

I'm certainly happier with us in position B than our usual position of scraping around waiting on other teams' scraps and cast offs. If that means we wait a wee bit longer or miss out on a few targets on the way, so be it.

33 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is most of this negative news not actually social media speculation?

Just now, Div said:

The manager and his assistant agreed a new 3 year contract on June 12th

We announced season ticket sales were up 25% on the same time last year on June 13th
We announced 3000 season ticket sales on June 14th

Those three are fair shouts, as I said to FTOF, I was maybe over egging the pudding a little by saying "nothing".

The new strip deal was a necessity, I wouldn't call it a positive (or negative, just a matter of fact). Dunne resigning, I do not consider a huge coup. In fact, I'd have preferred to see him go than to improve his wages in hope of him having a change of heart. I don't consider Boyd-Munce's extension as anything more than a cheap gamble being given more time. He looked well short of fitness in his cameo appearances and we can't make a judgement on him. At present again, I don't consider it a huge positive.

Managerial and ticket sales, both positives, and I fully admit I didn't roll that into my initial comment and I should have.

It's not like I have high expectations. Over the decades, Div, you and I have stood on the terrace and watched a truly awful St Mirren playing mind numbingly bad football at the wrong end of the Championship. We didn't give up on the club then. Now is not then, of course, we are in a considerably better position than we were, and I trust Robinson, but the lack of movement, several knockbacks (and you can debate all you want about them being rumours) and seeing both key players either leaving or being linked with a move, is beyond frustrating. Especially as we were well aware of our league security long before the end of it, which would have hinted at planning being done earlier.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

Can I ask where this Carson is leaving rumour started? Also who said it’s Hemmings has this been confirmed. I’d really hope it’s as back up if at all

Why ask questions now mate? Just blindly believe everything!

3 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's not like I have high expectations. Over the decades, Div, you and I have stood on the terrace and watched a truly awful St Mirren playing mind numbingly bad football at the wrong end of the Championship. We didn't give up on the club then. Now is not then, of course, we are in a considerably better position than we were, and I trust Robinson, but the lack of movement, several knockbacks (and you can debate all you want about them being rumours) and seeing both key players either leaving or being linked with a move, is beyond frustrating. Especially as we were well aware of our league security long before the end of it, which would have hinted at planning being done earlier.

New players will arrive in due course Ric. If the manager and Martin Foyle have demonstrated one thing over and above anything else it is that they are shrewd operators in the market.

Wait and see how the whole window unfolds.