The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

10 minutes ago, Div said:

New players will arrive in due course Ric. If the manager and Martin Foyle have demonstrated one thing over and above anything else it is that they are shrewd operators in the market.

Wait and see how the whole window unfolds.

"It's always darkest before the dawn", etc, etc..

Yeah, I mean there is f**k all any of us can do other than just sit and watch how this all plays out, and I do trust Robinson - and by extension Foyle.

I don't think I'm being unfair in raising my concerns, but I am just one person, who is as far from ITK as you can get.

It's obviously silly season and I will happily spread the rumour that Carson could be off to us, but if you just break it down for even a second, it's clear it's nonsense.

Even if Robinson and Carson have had an irreparable falling out, Robinson is absolutely not letting one of the best goalkeepers in the league go to a divisional rival for nothing. And no-one, even a club as mental as ours, would pay a fee for a 35 year old keeper who has a 2 year deal.

But the fact that there's a chance... I'm taking it.

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Even if Robinson and Carson have had an irreparable falling out, Robinson is absolutely not letting one of the best goalkeepers in the league go to a divisional rival for nothing.

It's what Dundee United effectively did! What's hilarious is they put all their eggs in the Birighitti basket. Technically it wasn't for 'nothing', the fee was undisclosed, but I doubt you could find an Arab that considers that shenanigans a good bit of business.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Even if Robinson and Carson have had an irreparable falling out, Robinson is absolutely not letting one of the best goalkeepers in the league go to a divisional rival for nothing. And no-one, even a club as mental as ours, would pay a fee for a 35 year old keeper who has a 2 year deal.

If there is a falling out, I'd be genuinely astonished if it couldn't be sorted out.

His career has been largely tied to Robinson's managerial stints for the past six years over three different clubs and he was happy enough to extend that by another two. Even if there has been a disagreement somewhere along the line, it would need to be really serious or really petty for both sides to decide they were going to cut and run.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

It's obviously silly season and I will happily spread the rumour that Carson could be off to us, but if you just break it down for even a second, it's clear it's nonsense.

But the fact that there's a chance... I'm taking it.

Tbf, if Carson was going anywhere then with his family situation I'd have thought he'd be away back to the North East.

It's well known he gets special dispensation from Robinson re: training that allows him to get down to the Newcastle area.

He was linked with a move back to Hartlepool before United jumped in to sign him from us and I've got a feeling the same thing happened when St Mirren signed him as well.

To speak to @djchapsticks point above I'd be more inclined to believe the rumour if it was about him wanting to move off the back of personal circumstances than a falling out with Robinson.

Just now, capt_oats said:

To speak to @djchapsticks point above I'd be more inclined to believe the rumour if it was about him wanting to move off the back of personal circumstances than a falling out with Robinson.

A fair point but then he just signed an additional year extension in March to take him through to end of 2024/25. Would be some turnaround in such a short time to THEN decide it was family issues.

It's well known that he only trains 2 or 3 days a week to be given time with his family. Always been the arrangement he's had with SR. Not sure how many other managers or clubs up here would facilitate that.

8 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

A fair point but then he just signed an additional year extension in March to take him through to end of 2024/25. Would be some turnaround in such a short time to THEN decide it was family issues.

It's well known that he only trains 2 or 3 days a week to be given time with his family. Always been the arrangement he's had with SR. Not sure how many other managers or clubs up here would facilitate that.

100%.

That's broadly why I'd be taking a crate load of salt with the rumour.

He had the same arrangement with Robinson when he was at Fir Park. I'm not sure if Alexander was open to being as flexible although I guess it was a moot point as Carson had a long term injury when he took over and Kelly was our #1.

41 minutes ago, Div said:

New players will arrive in due course Ric. If the manager and Martin Foyle have demonstrated one thing over and above anything else it is that they are shrewd operators in the market.

Wait and see how the whole window unfolds.

I have all the faith in Robo and Foyle. I also believe this is a long game as we have most of the squad signed up for next season, so we will have 2 lists, one with squad fillers as he was known to complain last season with the numbers we had with injuries and suspensions, and another list of potential players who are starters to go for If the likes of Carson, O'Hara, strain and Baccus were to go... and potential starting LWB (ideally a left sided strain) 

I am also impatient and want to know everything now and want it sorted yesterday. I check the forum hourly. 

Here are some opinions from your favourite Kilmarnock fan:

Regarding Hemmings I don’t think he is as bad as some of you make out. If he comes in as your number 2 then it’s probably going to mean you have a half decent #1 and he should be good back up. If he is starting as your number 1 then (based on last season) I would be worried for you. 

His form was pretty good for us in the Championship and without him we wouldn’t have came up I don’t think. He’s not as bad as Danny Rogers or anyone like that in my opinion. Jamie MacDonald level goalkeeper in my opinion.

Regarding Baccus and his fee, and without wanting to get back into my argument about the World Cup, I do feel that some St Mirren fans felt that just because he played at the World Cup meant he was an “X” value type player. I always felt that was a bit unrealistic. When it comes to transfer fees the selling club’s financial position is probably the biggest factor and clubs down south know they can rip the hole out of us. The only way you would’ve been looking at big money for Baccus (again only my opinion) would have been if you had given him a 5 year deal on crazy money a week straight after the World Cup and for a club like St Mirren that’s just too much of a gamble.

Harry Soutar of course went for big money after the World Cup after being a stand out for Australia but it’s not even worth considering the internal transfer fees within England.

Similar to the McGinn discussion a good sell on might be a better deal than more cash up front.

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

Regarding Baccus and his fee, and without wanting to get back into my argument about the World Cup, I do feel that some St Mirren fans felt that just because he played at the World Cup meant he was an “X” value type player. I always felt that was a bit unrealistic. When it comes to transfer fees the selling club’s financial position is probably the biggest factor and clubs down south know they can rip the hole out of us. The only way you would’ve been looking at big money for Baccus (again only my opinion) would have been if you had given him a 5 year deal on crazy money a week straight after the World Cup and for a club like St Mirren that’s just too much of a gamble.

Possibly. I think if the additional clauses come to fruition then over £500k will end up being a good deal.

If you take it in isolation, if someone had said last season that we'd pluck a 25 year old player from the Aussie league, get a pretty good season out of him and then sell him for potentially over half a million quid, you'd be alright with that on paper.

If you can replicate a transfer like that with one of your players every season, it's a good business model to have so in isolation, I suppose it's not THAT bad and his form after the WC had dipped through him carrying an injury.

51 minutes ago, Estragon said:

Dundee have more chance of signing Frank Carson.

51 minutes ago, Ric said:

It's what Dundee United effectively did! What's hilarious is they put all their eggs in the Birighitti basket. Technically it wasn't for 'nothing', the fee was undisclosed, but I doubt you could find an Arab that considers that shenanigans a good bit of business.

On first read, I thought this read that Dundee United signed Frank Carson last season. Tbs, he would have been an improvement.😂

40 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I have all the faith in Robo and Foyle.

Did they not generally waste any money garnered at Motherwell?

Have it in ny head whenever they get money to spend they get distracted by 6ft tall pacey attackers and launch money at them.

11 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

Steve Coogan Shrug GIF

I'm sure that's if great comfort to you after not getting anywhere near the £3m+ continually touted. 

As predicted.

Happy Leonardo Dicaprio GIF by The Academy Awards

I haven't seen a figure of £3m mentioned.

Good to see that we still live in empty vessel that is your head though.

44 minutes ago, Derry Alli said:

I'm sure that's if great comfort to you after not getting anywhere near the £3m+ continually touted. 

As predicted.

You've not done that thing where you've read something that one person has written on the internet and assumed it's a widely-held opinion, have you? Because that sort of mistake was embarrassing in 2008, let alone today.