The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Interesting to read folk writing off Hemming and then calling to get McCrorie on loan

McCrorie ended up losing his place at Livi due to poor form and has now emerged as Sevco’s number 2 (at least) and been called into the Scotland squad.

Players can have off spells. Outfield players can come in and out a side and can make the odd mistake and get away with it.

When keepers make mistakes they usually end up in a goal conceded and they get noticed. And when a keeper gets dropped it’s very difficult to get back in to redeem yourself as there’s only 1 slot up for grabs.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Family had flown over from NI. Presumably not of the St. Mirren persuasion either, to see him play against Rangers.

Manager decides not to risk him in a dead rubber as is the gaffer's prerogative in a nothing, dead rubber match and he has went off on one. 

I got the impression it was more about giving Urminsky a game and give him some experience, he’d been on the bench all season after all.

Gave SR to see him in live action, along with Boyd Munce and Jamieson. 

And quite right too! 

1 minute ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I got the impression it was more about giving Urminsky a game and give him some experience, he’d been on the bench all season after all.

Gave SR to see him in live action, along with Boyd Munce and Jamieson. 

And quite right too! 

True. If we still had something to play for in that last game, Carson would have 100% started. But we didn't. So he didn't.

IF its the actual reason for all of this, it's a massive and stupid overreaction on the part of the player.

6 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Family had flown over from NI. Presumably not of the St. Mirren persuasion either, to see him play against Rangers.

Manager decides not to risk him in a dead rubber as is the gaffer's prerogative in a nothing match and he has went off on one. The decision is not made to satisfy a player's family who by all accounts are over to actively watch the team their family member is playing for, get beaten. The decision is made as its best for the team.

There's a few comments on social media as well alluding to his brother having a dig at Robinson at the POTY do a few days later which ties into all this. Again all eyewitness accounts so nothing official but if it's the case then Carson is 100% in the wrong on both fronts and is being a petulant child. He owes Robinson an apology on behalf of his family members before he comes back into the fold.

If its all true of course.

The utter Staunchness of Trevor's da was a running joke on our thread for years - so this is objectively quite funny. 

5 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Like the Dundonian said. He's probably staying away as he's told. He'll not be naive enough to refuse to train SURELY.

Why? If he's naive enough to throw a massive tantrum because his family of rangers fans wanted to see him get a few stuck past him in an end of season dead rubber because the manager wanted to give another player some minutes, then naive enough to have his brother shout at the manager over it at the poty while he does nothing then I'd say there is plenty of scope for several different scenarios here.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

True. If we still had something to play for in that last game, Carson would have 100% started. But we didn't. So he didn't.

IF its the actual reason for all of this, it's a massive and stupid overreaction on the part of the player.

Needs to keep his hair on imo.

Just back to the new strip

Its supposed to be paying homage to 79/80

Yet the 79/80 strip had a white stripe down the middle, 5 white stripes and 4 black stripes

The new strip is the opposite with a black stripe down the middle, 5 black stripes and 4 white stripes

I suspect they came up with the strip first and then someone has said it looks a bit like 79/80. 

The fact that no-one has noticed that the stripes are the wrong way round is an outrage! 

Trevor missing out on a trip to Belfast. Oh, the irony. Don’t know what the truth is, but so far I’m with Robbo. I’m hoping that WAS Hladky I saw at the Antrim Road Tesco, but I would settle for JA. 

13 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Taking the hump because you didn’t get to play in a game against Rangers when you’d brought all your Rangers supporting family over from N Ireland to watch isn’t a reason that’s going to gain much sympathy with Saints supporters! 😆

Aye exactly.  If that’s the case then f**k him 

42 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Just back to the new strip

Its supposed to be paying homage to 79/80

Yet the 79/80 strip had a white stripe down the middle, 5 white stripes and 4 black stripes

The new strip is the opposite with a black stripe down the middle, 5 black stripes and 4 white stripes

I suspect they came up with the strip first and then someone has said it looks a bit like 79/80. 

The fact that no-one has noticed that the stripes are the wrong way round is an outrage! 

Shhhh. They might pay homage to the bib strip next. Let them be. 😀

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Hemming was excellent in the Championship for us and I was sure he was going to handle the step up no bother, but it didn't really happen for him. It didn't help that he started the season out injured and then never really got a chance to settle himself in.

His partner posted on our forum a few days ago talking about the fact that in the first season, she and their kids had stayed up in Scotland with him, but last season they moved back down south because their oldest child was starting school, and he was basically up here by himself, which seems to have affected him a lot.

I definitely wouldn't be writing him off, I think he has all the makings of a very good goalkeeper at this level, he's big and commanding and pulled out a lot of important saves last season. There were definite similarities to Freddie Woodman when he came up here as a young keeper.

I agree. Zach was great for us during our season in the Championship. The way he came for crosses and corners was fantastic and inspired confidence in teammates and fans. If the big man can recapture that from, St. Mirren have signed a great goalie. Disappointed to see him leave Killie. 

Good luck Zach, enjoyed your work.

Robbo’s mate at Boro, the goalkeeping coach, has an impressive CV and has worked with some top keepers. I’m feeling more relaxed about Carson’s probable departure; he must have taken the view that Zach was worth a contract at Boro until 2026.

11 minutes ago, Boring Bob said:

I agree. Zach was great for us during our season in the Championship. The way he came for crosses and corners was fantastic and inspired confidence in teammates and fans. If the big man can recapture that from, St. Mirren have signed a great goalie. Disappointed to see him leave Killie. 

Good luck Zach, enjoyed your work.

Killie fans on social media almost unanimously supportive of him which is strangely refreshing to see.

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Interesting to read folk writing off Hemming and then calling to get McCrorie on loan

McCrorie ended up losing his place at Livi due to poor form and has now emerged as Sevco’s number 2 (at least) and been called into the Scotland squad.

Players can have off spells. Outfield players can come in and out a side and can make the odd mistake and get away with it.

When keepers make mistakes they usually end up in a goal conceded and they get noticed. And when a keeper gets dropped it’s very difficult to get back in to redeem yourself as there’s only 1 slot up for grabs.

If push comes to shove and Carson does leave, the replacement will not be another loan goalkeeper. We'll definitely not go with two loan goalies unless one is with a solid commitment to being full time at the end of the loan agreement.