The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

😬

I have to say that the only thing that is keeping my pessimism at bay is the fact we were poor this time last season. But, as others have pointed out, we had brought in some players who looked promising and should have beaten Arbroath and Motherwell. I haven't seen us yet, but what I've heard isn't cause for optimism.  

Let's hope for a convincing win on Saturday. 

8 of the team who started yesterdays game were with us last season.

If Tanser had been fit it would almost certainly have been 9 and if Carson hadn’t spat the dummy it would have been 10!

3 minutes ago, Kempes said:

That’s my worry, that was almost our strongest team (as things stand)!

We’ve not become a bad side overnight.

Squad balance isn’t quite right yet but I’m full of hope that Nahmani and the mystery other striker are going to transform the dynamic of the team as will having a proper left wing back in there with McMenamin playing further forward.

Need to stay calm and trust the process.

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Absolutely no chance.

He's such a tailor made St. Johnstone signing, it's unreal.

12 months ago we'd already have offered him a 2yr deal on more money than he was getting at Hibs.

This Summer?

No chance.

23 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

12 months ago we'd already have offered him a 2yr deal on more money than he was getting at Hibs.

This Summer?

No chance.

I would agree it’s more of a Davidson signing than a St Johnstone one. Of the exact same mould as Conway, Bryson, Considine and about 10 others

3 minutes ago, proudtobeabuddy said:

I hope that this "new striker" is in before the Arbroath game. We are badly needing it until big Ayunga is back. 

Expect that to be announced tomorrow and both him and Nehmani should feature on Saturday.

23 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I said I think the format stinks for every team… aside from those involved in Europe. I think it stinks because of the time in the season it takes place.

I agree that we are shit at this group stage malarky, no argument there. I strongly disagree with one of the two major trophies that diddies can realistically win taking place right now, in the format it currently does. 

So, your whinging jibe can fcuk right off, thank you very much. Yeah, we’re shite, but so is this League Cup format… IMHO, he added for extreme fcuking clarity.

Teams failing to prepare properly for the League Cup and going in half fit or not taking it seriously is down to the managers of those clubs, not the format.

4 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Wonder if any of them will play tomorrow in the closed doors game

Signing, practical stuff and photos 1st.

Tuesday to Friday full training and getting to know their new teammates, and what their management team is looking for.

Big week with big expectations 

1 minute ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I think we will end up with Theirry Small back . Also think we are still chasing Bedeau and will bring a midfielder in on loan . Hope we can keep hold of Baccus this transfer window . Look forward to confirmation of our mystery signing , I'm guessing it's Aaron Pressley. 

Surely not another left sided centre half.

2 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I can’t see us signing another CB

We’ve already got 5 guys who can play CB and Robinson obviously rates them all - he gave them all contracts 

We don’t have much cover for the wing back positions though……

Gallagher's drop off in pace concerns me slightly.

2 hours ago, Div said:

We’ve not become a bad side overnight.

Squad balance isn’t quite right yet but I’m full of hope that Nahmani and the mystery other striker are going to transform the dynamic of the team as will having a proper left wing back in there with McMenamin playing further forward.

Need to stay calm and trust the process.

Unfortunately I don't think Nahmani is going to be a transformative wonderkid, according to Wikipedia he has scored 6 goals in 3 years. No clue about the other. I would prefer Sutherland in left wingback until Tanser or another is available.

Nahmani not had a lot of game time either at senior level

Edited by Mac28

I think it’s obvious that Nahmani has potential to do well but I’d like a bit of experience up there with him and looking at the other forwards we have excluding Ayunga I don’t see much nor crucially do I see any goals 

As has been said before, we will never be a club that signs a striker whose been banging in 20 goals a season at a decent level because those players go for several million ££.

Foyle and Robbo have done well in the market for us up until now so fingers crossed they find us another diamond or two.