The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

5 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Whether we sign someone now or next week, what difference does it make?

Is it really so strange that he wanted to Ask? I think Strapp could be worth a punt, though coming from the Morton is likely to be a sweet and tender hooligan. Well I wonder what happened to this striker.

7 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Whether we sign someone now or next week, what difference does it make?

We could save a weeks wages or not have him for Saturday's game...

But your right. Priority is getting the right ones in, not how fast we get someone in.

22 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Both Sharpp and Marshall have had serious injuries is it worth the risk ? 

Were Strain and O'Hara worth the risk?

Both were coming off of relatively serious injuries when we signed them and both worked out not bad.

It has to be said that regardless of who we sign, they are always going to come with a caveat of some sort. A lot of the time that trade off is presence of ability for high risk or history of injury.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Were Strain and O'Hara worth the risk?

Both were coming off of relatively serious injuries when we signed them and both worked out not bad.

It has to be said that regardless of who we sign, they are always going to come with a caveat of some sort. A lot of the time that trade off is presence of ability for high risk or history of injury.

Dunne too had a poor history when we signed him.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Tansers a more reliable defender...

I don’t think Tanser has completed 90mins as regularly as we would have expected since he signed. Perhaps I’m wrong but invariably he’s always has to come off. 
Reckon he must be on a decent wedge. We signed him from St Johnstone the summer after they had won the cup double. Given he was guaranteed European competition we must have offered him some decent wage increase and signing on fee over what St Johnstone were offering. 
I have been a bit disappointed by him - guess that’s because Strain has been outstanding (although he has struggled with various knocks). 
Neither of them a patch on Steve Clarke and Tommy Wilson!

Gies a signing! 

28 minutes ago, Marko van Haddock said:

Is it really so strange that he wanted to Ask? I think Strapp could be worth a punt, though coming from the Morton is likely to be a sweet and tender hooligan. Well I wonder what happened to this striker.

You’ve taken this too far. Stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before but frankly, mr haddock, I’m a sickening wreck, and heaven knows I’m miserable now. 

Edited by Captain_Sensible

37 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

You’ve taken this too far. Stop me if you think you’ve heard this one before but frankly, mr haddock, I’m a sickening wreck, and heaven knows I’m miserable now. 

The Smiths pun winner was always going to be MvH!

43 minutes ago, Molotov said:

We signed him from St Johnstone the summer after they had won the cup double. Given he was guaranteed European competition we must have offered him some decent wage increase and signing on fee over what St Johnstone were offering. 

He didnt want to stay with us, regardless of any offer, unless he was guaranteed first choice. He threw a strop when told he'd have to compete with Booth and prove himself worthy of what he wanted.

So realistically you possibly pay him less than youd expect due to that.

A couple of years back, I remember Jim Goodwin saying that left back / left wing back was the most difficult position to sign players for. Bringing Strapp and Marshall in on trial would suggest that there's still a shortage out there.

Strapp probably the more likely as Morton fans seem to think he's better than Championship level: he could compete with Tanser potentially. Marshall has always looked very ordinary to me but at least he knows the position inside out.

2 hours ago, McG said:

Club will be looking for about 750k onwards for him even with a year left on his deal, he won’t be sold cheap and it will be a lot higher than Baccus.

Why?