The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Good afternoon on all levels. 2nd goal was pure class. Strain is by far the best wing back in this League - triple his wages and offer him a 5 year contract or sell him to a Saudi club. Baccus was excellent. Good to get some game time in for new players and fringe players. Reckon we should put Greive out on loan until Jan to team like Partick Thistle as lack of game time means he is not progressing. All in all a decent afternoon and the score flattered Forfar.

I wonder if we’re going to go 3-4-3 / 5-4-1 this season now after today?

If so, I can see why we’d want another forward player who can play wide

In saying that, I can see Nehmani dropping out next week to bring Boyd-Munce in to bolster midfield 

I can see Grieve going when / of the mystery forward arrives 

2nd half was one to forget. Our second goal was a thing of beauty. 

How good is Ryan Strain? 

He is our best player by a mile. 

McMenamin looked better playing on the same side as Strain. 

Liked Bolton looks a player. 

Jamieson is handy to have. 

Still fail to see anything in Olusanya except pace. 

We have the makings of a good side again. Just a couple of tweeks and we will be fine. 

26 minutes ago, Molotov said:

All he wants is to get us to 40points and take us forward from there. Still feels that our main objective is to stay in the league which most of us can fully understand. 

I guess after previous seasons finishes prior to last, it shows anything can happen. It should also keeps focus elsewhere, but I think as fans we know the club want to build on last season and makes us a regular competitor for top six. You don't spend nearly 150k on a player to avoid relegation.

9 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

Baccus was excellent today, didn't look rusty at all IMO.

Absolutely.

Strain and Baccus strolled through the game.

McMenamin's deliveries in the first half were really good. Still looks a bit short of match fitness.

Bolton looked solid, but very obvious that he hasn't kicked a ball for a while. Hopefully his run out during the week in the SPFL cup will help him kick on.

Mandron definitely looks more of a goal threat than Main. He just seems to pop up in the right places with composed finishes. Looks like a penalty box striker. The new Yardley, but slimmer.:rolleyes:

Thought Jamieson did well when he came on, but he just lacks that wee bit of self-confidence and composure in the final third. Hopefully with more game time he'll improve in both of these areas.

Still a wee bit concerned about the defence against better opposition and our lack of depth up front.

2 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Absolutely.

Strain and Baccus strolled through the game.

McMenamin's deliveries in the first half were really good. Still looks a bit short of match fitness.

Bolton looked solid, but very obvious that he hasn't kicked a ball for a while. Hopefully his run out during the week in the SPFL cup will help him kick on.

Mandron definitely looks more of a goal threat than Main. He just seems to pop up in the right places with composed finishes. Looks like a penalty box striker. The new Yardley, but slimmer.:rolleyes:

Thought Jamieson did well when he came on, but he just lacks that wee bit of self-confidence and composure in the final third. Hopefully with more game time he'll improve in both of these areas.

Still a wee bit concerned about the defence against better opposition and our lack of depth up front.

Would agree with this, I thought that defence today were all a bit similar and flaky. It was like having two Fullbacks and a defensive midfielder all together. There wasn't a natural, dominant, heading and tackling penalty box defender.

Also, if we are going to play that formation today then we definitely do need another forward as the three up are going to have to run themselves into the ground every match.

Same as last week really, plenty positives to take from the performance, with the caveat that this was against lower league opposition.

Strain again magnificent, and I thought Taylor was very good and Baccus got better and better as the game wore on.

Bolton, McMenamin and Stav are all in the same boat that Strain was in this time last season, not nearly fully fit or match sharp but each showing some glimpses of good stuff that hopefully bodes well for the season ahead.

Shame LJ didn’t take his big chance when it came. Feel a goal would make a big difference to him and he’s deserved it.

Big shout out to Scotty T as well who was excellent today.