The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, elvis said:

There's a stat on BBC.web site.our manager has never won an opening day match in his managerial career don't see that changing on Sunday. 

Records are there to be broken elvis.

How many records have we broken over the last few years? 

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Alex Lowrey on loan at Hearts. Would have loved him at our place. 

We should have moved in quicker. If Baccus goes, he could have done a job for us.

Not sure how regular he'll be played at Hearts though.

14 minutes ago, medals said:

We should have moved in quicker. If Baccus goes, he could have done a job for us.

Not sure how regular he'll be played at Hearts though.

Exactly my thoughts. I still expect Baccus to leave. Lowrey would have done well under Robbo.

17 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Exactly my thoughts. I still expect Baccus to leave. Lowrey would have done well under Robbo.

If Baccus leaves, I'd imagine our target will be a permanent replacement, using some of the money pulled in from the transfer.

Lowry would have been good back up. Can't really see him featuring that much for Hearts. A bit of a strange deal IMO.

4 minutes ago, FTOF said:

If Baccus leaves, I'd imagine our target will be a permanent replacement, using some of the money pulled in from the transfer.

Lowry would have been good back up. Can't really see him featuring that much for Hearts. A bit of a strange deal IMO.

Yeah, doesn’t make much sense from a Hearts perspective.

Doesn’t he play as a ‘number 10’? If so, he wouldn’t really fit into our system.

1 minute ago, AW saint said:

Big Dec strolling it for Utd. Still got his stupid hairband though

He should cigar that league.

Good move for him and United. May regret it if they come up next season though, they seemed to have signed up a lot of good championship standard players that may not make the step up, if they get promoted.

I'm raging. I have spent the last three hours installing and messing about with that Macron app, trying to design our third kit. 

My plan was a checked shirt, similar to Croatia's, only in blue and white (I know) on a yellow background. The inspiration was our crest. It looked bad, so I've binned it. 

I have another idea now, but I suspect that will look equally bad. What a waste of a Friday evening!

Anybody else have a go?

8 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Lots of us weren't impressed by the possibility of signing Moult. He's been excellent, a goal and a hand in the rest if them. OK Arboath look utter shite but if he stays fit he'll be a good player for them.

Totally agree.  A fit Moult will bag a lot of goals at that level. He has a strikers instinct. We don't have one of those. 

7 hours ago, houston_bud said:

Kyle Magennis became a regular when he was 18, McAllister too. That was in a much weaker side though. I felt Dylan Reid looked like he could be a regular any time I saw him.

I actually think St Mirren have done OK for developing young players over the past 10 years or so. As the team has improved, there's been a desire to bring in better players which has meant less game time for younger players. Also whilst Celtic, Rangers and teams in England have always been able to take young players from teams like us, I think that's a bigger problem now. They all have development squads and pay reasonable money to the players. 

Yes we’ve developed good talent for sure. Sadly we haven’t got the cash we deserved 

On 03/08/2023 at 17:16, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Just caught up with 5 pages of posts on here.

I can see @Ric's point about Carson, even though I don't agree with him, because I rated him very highly. I actually believe he was better than Hladky and Alnwick, a comment that I don't believe would have been controversial prior to his petulance. My views on the matter are essentially: 

i) There's no way we should be paying him to train, and I agree that he cannot be part of the team given that he clearly doesn't want to play for us anymore. Our players should be proud to don the shirt.

ii) He needs to be got rid of to set an example to other players that we will not tolerate that sort of disruptive behaviour.

iii) His continued presence might unsettle other players.

iv) Any sort of pay off, to get him off the books, would have been immoral.

Even if Carson has a sensational season for Dundee, we need to have some pride as a club. This was the right decision, IMHO.

I cannot remember who it was who made the excellent point about hos Carson's selfish antics would have possibly affected Urminsky's confidence going into the Rangers game. Of course, that's speculation, but it's a valid point and certainly it could have done. The guy's an arse and I hope everybody boos him and lets him know that he's seen for the scumbag he is. 

If he's egotistical enough to spit the dummy out over not being played in what was a meaningless game, then I think booing and jeering will get to him. You'd have to be pretty thick-skinned not to notice several thousand fans' boos at all. If it does and especially if he concedes a howler or a few goals, then it may knock his confidence and lead to him having an underwhelming season. 

"Fucking boooooo!" 🤬

I agree with booing him, childish or not, effective or not, but it lets him know what the grown-ups think of him, vehemently disagree re Hladky and Alnwick, those two were far superior to Carson by several degrees,  Hladky = 9, Alnwick = 8, Carson = 6 in my opinion anyway.