The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

22 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Personally I could give two hoots but I sort of understand in a way - fans want that "big game feel" and I think a large and noisy away support can contribute to that.

Dingwall is such a small place, it has to be remembered. If they filled it, it would mean about 30% of the population of their entire town was there or something. For comparison, the equivalent for us would be taking 23,000 to away games!

Stop trolling those poor Well fans.

Wellstupid will be here any minute talking about our hammer throwers.

14 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Absolutely. Just makes me a bit sad to see all the buses going from cities, towns and villages across Scotland to Ibrox and Parkhead when there are good clubs on their doorsteps.

Think how those poor people on Ireland must feel as they wave the charabancs away every week. 

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Think it's a bit of a mad take to suggest Tanser was in any way at fault for it. He's following the ball in to protect from any potential attacker, shielding it for the keeper to collect.

Keeper needs to be braver and read that situation better. It's an absolute howler from him and hopefully one he'll learn from.

No Doubt it was Hemming's ball to attack.

However Tanser played them on side. So if a Don did get on it, he'd be on side because of that.

Mute point though and as others have said Taylor gave away a daft foul for the free kick.(Although I didn't think there was much in that).

No player is perfect but our entire team are playing with belief and ability that's truly enjoyable.

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

2 main reasons I’m “upset”

1. I’d rather have a day out up to Maryhill than travelling up to Dingwall

and

2. Partick’s travelling support would boost our coffers in comparison to Ross Co

Also, our supporters buses and the team would save a fortune in travel cost.

5 minutes ago, medals said:

No Doubt it was Hemming's ball to attack.

However Tanser played them on side. So if a Don did get on it, he'd be on side because of that.

Mute point though and as others have said Taylor gave away a daft foul for the free kick.(Although I didn't think there was much in that).

No player is perfect but our entire team are playing with belief and ability that's truly enjoyable.

Definitely not a mute point unless you mean Tanser and Hemming didn't talk to each other. 😉😀

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

Not a chance Dundee would. They were 600 seats short in their first away game back up on a Saturday afternoon only two weeks ago. 1100 away fans is a good effort but they are never bringing more than that.

Top 5, Killie and Motherwell would all have a stab at filling it. Motherwell brought nearly 1400 to the cup game and always travel to us in big numbers.

Outside of that Partick, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd and Morton would all make a fair fist of it.

They brought 906 to the recent league game.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Personally I could give two hoots but I sort of understand in a way - fans want that "big game feel" and I think a large and noisy away support can contribute to that.

Dingwall is such a small place, it has to be remembered. If they filled it, it would mean about 30% of the population of their entire town was there or something. For comparison, the equivalent for us would be taking 23,000 to away games!

But they're not called Dingwall FC. They pull in fans from all parts of Ross-shire.

57 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Livi and Ross County are here on merit so fair play to them.

When Gretna FC were shooting up the leagues while being "drugged up" by Brooks Mileson's filthy £millions their 'success' was (quite justifiably) regarded with disdain by fans of most other clubs. A club from a small town with a small fan base that had no right to be owning a space in Scotland's top division, albeit only for one season. It felt like cheating, not playing on a level playing field with the majority of Scottish clubs that exist hand-to-mouth every season and have to cut their cloth accordingly. 

Not entirely unlike Ross County IMO, a small club from a small town that surely wouldn't be dining at Scottish football's top table without many years of substantial financial support from Roy McGregor.

I would question that Ross County are 'there on merit' any more than Gretna were.

1 minute ago, Wilbur said:

When Gretna FC were shooting up the leagues while being "drugged up" by Brooks Mileson's filthy £millions their 'success' was (quite justifiably) regarded with disdain by fans of most other clubs. A club from a small town with a small fan base that had no right to be owning a space in Scotland's top division, albeit only for one season. It felt like cheating, not playing on a level playing field with the majority of Scottish clubs that exist hand-to-mouth every season and have to cut their cloth accordingly. 

Not entirely unlike Ross County IMO, a small club from a small town that surely wouldn't be dining at Scottish football's top table without many years of substantial financial support from Roy McGregor.

I would question that Ross County are 'there on merit' any more than Gretna were.

They are there on merit. Regardless of how much money they’ve spent to get there they’ve established themselves in the top flight and fair play to them.

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

McGregor owns Global Energy I don't see him as a Brooks type character. Ross County are well established and represent the Ross shire Highlands personally I don't have a problem with them.  I'm sure McGregor payed for Saints fans buses a good few years ago anyone remember that ? I'm sure it was for a midweek game.  Certainly would prefer to see the Thistle, Morton , Dunfermline these types of clubs for their support and revenue but don't have a problem with County . 

I’m not buying the notion that having Ross County in the top flight is good because it promotes interest in football in the Highlands. ICT were quite a force in the top flight for a good while, won the Scottish Cup, had strong squads year after year. They could have won the Champions League and still had 3,000ish max home fans at games. Not much stoking going on with their relative success.

Nah, all it meant having them strutting around the top flight was well-dodgy local refereeing appointments, away games there scheduled for Boxing Day and suchlike, and, like their Dingwall counterparts, three men and a dug at the FeegieField of Dreams. 

For entirely, purely, completely, totally unashamed, 100% unapologetic selfish reasons of my own personal choosing as a resident of the central belt who supports a central belt team - get them to buggery with their pals from down the road. A top flight without Ross C, ICT, and Hamilton bloody Accies (for every reason imaginable bar geography), is a better top flight. IMHO, naturally, and all that jazz.

The Highlands is lovely, I like it up there. I just want to go there for reasons of scenery, short breaks, and alcoholic beveragement imbibement. They also have lovely accents. I have enough good reasons for visiting the Highlands without football. Get them to fcuk. 😎

Edited by pozbaird

So that's 5 current Internationals on the books again (McMenamin, Grieve, Gogic, Strain and Baccus).

There were 5 last season (the last 4 above plus Gallagher who was on the bench for the Ukraine game in Krakow) plus past Internationals Brophy and Carson.

In all my time watching Saints I cant recall this many at the one time; previous best was early 80s when Thompson, Munro and Weir were all on the books at the same time.

23 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’m not buying the notion that having Ross County in the top flight is good because it promotes interest in football in the Highlands. ICT were quite a force in the top flight for a good while, won the Scottish Cup, had strong squads year after year. They could have won the Champions League and still had 3,000ish max home fans at games. Not much stoking going on with their relative success.

Nah, all it meant having them strutting around the top flight was well-dodgy local refereeing appointments, away games there scheduled for Boxing Day and suchlike, and, like their Dingwall counterparts, three men and a dug at the FeegieField of Dreams. 

For entirely, purely, completely, totally unashamed, 100% unapologetic selfish reasons of my own personal choosing as a resident of the central belt who supports a central belt team - get them to buggery with their pals from down the road. A top flight without Ross C, ICT, and Hamilton bloody Accies (for every reason imaginable bar geography), is a better top flight. IMHO, naturally, and all that jazz.

The Highlands is lovely, I like it up there. I just want to go there for reasons of scenery, short breaks, and alcoholic beveragement imbibement. They also have lovely accents. I have enough good reasons for visiting the Highlands without football. Get them to fcuk. 😎

I couldn’t agree more. Let’s bin the clubs that are a nuisance to get to. I vote for a three team league of St Mirren, QoS and Annan(boo).  The St Mirren franchise will obviously have to relocate to Dumfries & Galloway. 

14 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

So that's 5 current Internationals on the books again (McMenamin, Grieve, Gogic, Strain and Baccus).

There were 5 last season (the last 4 above plus Gallagher who was on the bench for the Ukraine game in Krakow) plus past Internationals Brophy and Carson.

In all my time watching Saints I cant recall this many at the one time; previous best was early 80s when Thompson, Munro and Weir were all on the books at the same time.

CBM has to be on the verge as well, you'd imagine.