The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 07/09/2023 at 17:47, FTOF said:

The clubs agreed a compromise on his development fee, but as usual we retain a sell on which everyone hopes will bring in a decent bounty further down the line.

David Longwell is at Burnley, hence the interest.

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Nah, that's not happening. 

Initially I thought the same, but surely the likelihood of them accepting an extended deal from St Mirren would depend on how any offer to the players was structured. 

Perhaps the deal on offer could contain a transfer offer price that would trigger a release clause, with the player being guaranteed a chunky % of that fee. Such a deal could be a win-win for the player and the club.

16 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Perhaps the deal on offer could contain a transfer offer price that would trigger a release clause, with the player being guaranteed a chunky % of that fee. Such a deal could be a win-win for the player and the club.

Theyll be already getting offered 5 (maybe 6) figure signing on fees from English clubs if they join for nothing.

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

Initially I thought the same, but surely the likelihood of them accepting an extended deal from St Mirren would depend on how any offer to the players was structured. 

Here's hoping.

Surely it's a gamble for a player to let their contract expire? Imagine if they got seriously injured before signing a new deal! Isn't it better to have the security of a new deal with us, but with a release clause like the one you've suggested?

9 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Here's hoping.

Surely it's a gamble for a player to let their contract expire? Imagine if they got seriously injured before signing a new deal! Isn't it better to have the security of a new deal with us, but with a release clause like the one you've suggested?

I think they both have fitness issues which may help in getting them tied up a bit longer. Baccus had a spell out last season and missed most of pre-season this year . Strain is usually struggling by the 75th/80th minute in matches with what looks like tight groins , so I suppose that could work in our favour , particularly with Strain !

11 hours ago, Wilbur said:

A few positives if any in our favour is that we are playing well, there is a great bond in the dressing room and those players are still being recognised at international level playing with us. 

If we could offer a 2 year extension to both with improved wage, a minimum release fee and sell on that is fair, then if there is any small chance of them staying, that would be it. It could still mean they move in the summer, though we get a return rather than nothing.

9 hours ago, billyg said:

I think they both have fitness issues which may help in getting them tied up a bit longer. Baccus had a spell out last season and missed most of pre-season this year . Strain is usually struggling by the 75th/80th minute in matches with what looks like tight groins , so I suppose that could work in our favour , particularly with Strain !

Spot on. I think Baccus was jusy unlucky as he gets a fair amount of tackles on him. Strain on the other hand 100% suffers from pardon the pun strains. I have never seen a player who has to come off so much. 

We do game manage him well but every week i fear he will be out long term with a groin or hamstring pull. 

Thankfully he is normally in the team the following game. 

Would love to tie them down to new deals even if it is to get us more cash when they leave.