The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

48 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

No. The match you refer to was the quarter final in 2015 and the TMO (VAR) wasn’t used. 
Every week in Scotland (and England) there are controversial (and slow) VAR decisions and it needs to be much more open.  
Justice needs to be done and SEEN to be done

Ah. Ta. Appreciate the info’.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It literally happened to us on Saturday.

Last season we conceded goals to blatant handballs twice.

Clearly youre one of the "bad things only happen to us" band..

Seen plenty of poor decisions across the board. I just dont think we should accept it and roll over. 

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Wherever theres human decision making, particularly in pressure situations, youll get mistakes. 

The folk who cant accept that, who instead see every decision solely through the prism of their own club, and claim a "conspiracy" against their side, are the reason the games been ruined by VAR and the reason we're likely not moving away from it anytime soon.

Cant understand why the same people then demand people from their club apply even more pressure to referees, who clearly struggle to deal with it, and encourage even more mistakes.

There are no better referees available in this country, the lower league is even worse.

There are human errors and tough judgment calls sometimes that one person would opt one way while another takes the opposite view..  but there are blatant errors going on in our league and even at Liverpool last week.

Incompetent,  bias or whatever, people must be accountable and decent standards must be expected and be delivered... this is professional not amature.

Don't kid yourself... 2 clubs with larger fan bases exert the most pressure on officials, who either buckle or are biased towards already.

Time for performance tables on these officials with all errors documented to show who benefits and who losses because of them.

Managers lose their jobs andcteams get relegated because of these errors sometimes.

Edited by medals

Referees don’t have an issue with St Mirren, they just aren’t good at their job and every team suffers because of it. 

I do think that referees are more likely to give decisions in favour of the Old Firm purely because of the reactions of their crowds though.

1 hour ago, medals said:

Time for performance tables on these officials with all errors documented to show who benefits and who losses because of them.

Managers lose their jobs andcteams get relegated because of these errors sometimes.

This is exactly the type of chat that brought VAR into football. 

I'm not sure what is going on at SMISA, but the new proposed board member is a guy who I've never seen at any meetings, left Paisley in 1986, lives in Colchester and attends garden parties hosted by sausage fingers. 

I think i'll be voting naw. 

Proper fan ownership i think is dead, maybe it was an illusion like so many other things right now.

8 hours ago, Friskysteed said:

No. The match you refer to was the quarter final in 2015 and the TMO (VAR) wasn’t used. 
Every week in Scotland (and England) there are controversial (and slow) VAR decisions and it needs to be much more open.  
Justice needs to be done and SEEN to be done

Wrong.

There was a TMO, foe example they ruled that the Scotland right winger had intentionally knocked-on in the first half resulting in a yellow card. The 10 minutes when Scotland were a man down was when Australia scored most of their points.

For that c**t Joubrert to give a penalty that late in the game is one of the worst pieces of officiating in any sport that I have ever seen.

24 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wrong.

There was a TMO, foe example they ruled that the Scotland right winger had intentionally knocked-on in the first half resulting in a yellow card. The 10 minutes when Scotland were a man down was when Australia scored most of their points.

For that c**t Joubrert to give a penalty that late in the game is one of the worst pieces of officiating in any sport that I have ever seen.

Maybe I should have been more specific. The op suggested that the late penalty was a mistake by the TMO, but my point was that it wasn’t used for that (wrong) decision. 
When used correctly and openly the TMO/VAR does work. We just don’t use it properly in football, so it doesn’t work like it does in other sports. 

Ryan Strain and Keanu Baccus in the Australian squad for games later this month v England at Wembley and New Zealand at Brentford. Alex Grieve in the New Zealand squad for game v DR Congo in Spain plus the Australia game.

44 minutes ago, Eednud said:

Ryan Strain and Keanu Baccus in the Australian squad for games later this month v England at Wembley and New Zealand at Brentford. Alex Grieve in the New Zealand squad for game v DR Congo in Spain plus the Australia game.

If Strain/Baccus actually face Greive in a full international, then I’m assuming that will be the first time ever that St Mirren players have appeared in such circumstances? If that is the case, and it happens, the club should get Alan Picken to have a word with a photographer down there and capture a photo for the club hospitality suite or somewhere. 

6 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

If Strain/Baccus actually face Greive in a full international, then I’m assuming that will be the first time ever that St Mirren players have appeared in such circumstances? If that is the case, and it happens, the club should get Alan Picken to have a word with a photographer down there and capture a photo for the club hospitality suite or somewhere. 

Somewhere in the back of my mind I’m sure this happened before. I’ll ask our esteemed historian and feedback.

13 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Wrong.

Not just that, but seconds before the fateful penalty, the officials failed to spot Stuart Hogg being totally taken out by a late tackle on the touchline. Had that been given, Scotland would've kicked ball to touch in the Aussie 22, wasted the remaining time and the game would've been over. 

Whilst I like rugby, I don't live and breathe it like I do football, but that was comfortably the most angry I've ever been at a rugby match.

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Not just that, but seconds before the fateful penalty, the officials failed to spot Stuart Hogg being totally taken out by a late tackle on the touchline. Had that been given, Scotland would've kicked ball to touch in the Aussie 22, wasted the remaining time and the game would've been over. 

Whilst I like rugby, I don't live and breathe it like I do football, but that was comfortably the most angry I've ever been at a rugby match.

Did the ref not sprint off the pitch at the final whistle?

On 04/10/2023 at 17:22, SS77 said:

Referees don’t have an issue with St Mirren, they just aren’t good at their job and every team suffers because of it. 

I do think that referees are more likely to give decisions in favour of the Old Firm purely because of the reactions of their crowds though.

That & the fact that double glazing is bloody expensive to replace . 🙄

22 hours ago, Hendo said:

I'm not sure what is going on at SMISA, but the new proposed board member is a guy who I've never seen at any meetings, left Paisley in 1986, lives in Colchester and attends garden parties hosted by sausage fingers. 

I think i'll be voting naw. 

Proper fan ownership i think is dead, maybe it was an illusion like so many other things right now.

We are fan owned, that was never going to (nor was it intended to) lead to us being fan run. Folk seem to be constantly making this mistake. 

11 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

We are fan owned, that was never going to (nor was it intended to) lead to us being fan run. Folk seem to be constantly making this mistake. 

I agree with most of that but it wouldn't be too far-fetched to hope that someone representing the "fan owning shareholding group" would be living and spending time in and around the community in which they represent (I know that SMiSA members are spread far and wide but I think you'll understand the general point). My desire would be best person for the job but understand other's concerns.

With Lady Cathy Ferguson sadly passing away today I assume the club will also pay tribute via the minutes applause. 

Unfortunately I don’t think we will ever see Sir Alex in our club hall of fame as he still holds a massive grudge our club board at the time for his treatment. 

Tony Fitzpatrick still sees him every time he visits Glasgow but SAF so far won’t forgive what went on back in 1978. 

RIP Cathy. Condolences to Sir Alex and all his family and friends. 

19 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

Jimmy Irvine is as big a fan of St.Mirren as any of us on here.