The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I could be wrong, but I see Oluyansa as the guy who tires the defences for the likes of Grieve to come on and get the goals. Yeah it'd be great if he contributed more goals himself, he lacks the end product. He's got good pace on him and can stretch the defence at times. Albeit a little inconsistently. That said I'd prefer him over Grieve just for that if I'm right.

Olusanya has pace but his control when running with the ball and finishing is shocking. He does however hold the ball when taken from a pass up front. 

I would not be upset to see him moved on if we bring in better. 

1 hour ago, Buddiesaint said:

I could be wrong, but I see Oluyansa as the guy who tires the defences for the likes of Grieve to come on and get the goals. Yeah it'd be great if he contributed more goals himself, he lacks the end product. He's got good pace on him and can stretch the defence at times. Albeit a little inconsistently. That said I'd prefer him over Grieve just for that if I'm right.

To be fair Olusanya comes off the bench more often than he starts, so it should be him benefiting from tired defences. He just doesn't have same the impact when he comes off the bench that Grieve has.  Thought this was quite interesting - he's been given offside the second most in the entire league. Given he's not played a full game once all season - he's either been subbed on or subbed off (or sent off) in every game he's played - and we aren't exactly a team that's on the front foot often, that is an absolutely remarkable stat. Not only does he not score, he's breaking down loads of our other attacks because of his poor positional play. 

But like I said, we have six strikers who all started games in December, we clearly have to get rid of at least one of them.  I don't believe it's been a decision to keep Olusanya over Grieve per se, I just don't believe there would be any other clubs interested in taking him. Why would they be? His numbers are awful and he flopped at Arbroath. Whereas, there were clubs interested in taking Grieve on loan, so it's him that leaves. 

image.png.4593c0dbe8505e9722653992e3b1d5ab.png

13 hours ago, Stu said:

Aiden Gilmarton going on loan to Stranraer - thought he was already out on loan somewhere but maybe not. Either way can't see it making much difference to the budget.

He was in the Lowland League with East Kilbride. Has stepped up a level into League 2 now. I think hes rated by the club and the step up will test him at a higher level. It's probably the likes of Gilmartin who may fill a place in the squad next season as a lower cost squad player attacking option.Just my opinion

26 minutes ago, btb said:

Doncha long for the daze when the club leaked like a sieve and rumours abounded - Giza signing!

Knowing our luck, we'll get a gaza signing instead!

I see the half term report card is on the BBC for us. It's Canavan, Thompson and Div, is there likely to be anything new or interesting in the 20 minutes or so? I'd listen to it, but with all respect to all the people involved (even Div!) it's not "a panel of experts" that will rock the boat or make left-field suggestions.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

Knowing our luck, we'll get a gaza signing instead!

I see the half term report card is on the BBC for us. It's Canavan, Thompson and Div, is there likely to be anything new or interesting in the 20 minutes or so? I'd listen to it, but with all respect to all the people involved (even Div!) it's not "a panel of experts" that will rock the boat or make left-field suggestions.

Didn't think the boat needed rocking tbh.

49 minutes ago, Div said:

Didn't think the boat needed rocking tbh.

Not intended as shade.. ;) ..and totally understandable, considering it'll reach quite a wide audience.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Not intended as shade.. ;) ..and totally understandable, considering it'll reach quite a wide audience.

I don't really think who it reaches really makes any difference. We are sitting 5th in table after a very decent first half of the season.

There's very, very little to complain about and absolutely loads to be positive about.

IMHO.

Crystal ballin' but I don't reckon we'll finish Top6 and Robbo will be under pressure unless we get a good Cup run - not now but next season how many managers make it over 3 years these days? The problem with having a good season is that what would be acceptable becomes grounds for complaint just look around the division.

1 hour ago, btb said:

Crystal ballin' but I don't reckon we'll finish Top6 and Robbo will be under pressure unless we get a good Cup run - not now but next season how many managers make it over 3 years these days? The problem with having a good season is that what would be acceptable becomes grounds for complaint just look around the division.

Anything below the top 5, and not getting past the Quarters of either cup, should be seen as failure really, considering how shite the rest of the top flight is.

32 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Anything below the top 5, and not getting past the Quarters of either cup, should be seen as failure really, considering how shite the rest of the top flight is.

Here fishy fishy fishy 🎣 

Bit of a strange one farming Greave out to United...  But I'm sure the Manager knows what he's doing. AG seemed to be one of the most clinical finishers we have (Had). Assume he didn't enjoy sitting on the bench every week. 

He'll tear up the Championship. Good luck to him. I wonder what odds I'd get on him scoring 5 past us next season... 

3 minutes ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

Bit of a strange one farming Greave out to United...  But I'm sure the Manager knows what he's doing. AG seemed to be one of the most clinical finishers we have (Had). Assume he didn't enjoy sitting on the bench every week. 

He'll tear up the Championship. Good luck to him. I wonder what odds I'd get on him scoring 5 past us next season... 

None of us know whether this is the manager’s decision, budget cuts or the player/agent.

AG has only a few short months to impress to secure a new contract somewhere so perhaps it’s his choice. 

With LJ now being given more of an opportunity then perhaps it’s good for all parties.

Good luck to the lad. His playing highlight for me will be the winning goal away at Easter Rd.

No doubt AG will argue he should have got more game time with us but managers live and die by their decisions.

All I can say is that he scored more goals in Paisley than mega signing Brophy. 

Interesting one. A midfielder who joined Celtic in the summer and hasn’t played for them since. Hope he’s good.

IMG_5206.jpeg

Bit meh about this signing until we see him play. Celtic are well served in midfield so his lack of games is no surprise. However it does worry me if he will be any good. 

Celtic spent a few bob on him so there must be a player in there. 

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Bit meh about this signing until we see him play. Celtic are well served in midfield so his lack of games is no surprise. However it does worry me if he will be any good. 

Celtic spent a few bob on him so there must be a player in there. 

Loath them as I do, I grudgingly admit their transfer policy is generally pretty decent. There must be a player there for them to have signed him on the contract they did. 

Not too concerned at his lack of appearances for them given they tend not to need a holding mid too much in our league.

Hopefully not a Baccus replacement but it does make me fear the worst.

3 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Loath them as I do, I grudgingly admit their transfer policy is generally pretty decent. There must be a player there for them to have signed him on the contract they did. 

Not too concerned at his lack of appearances for them given they tend not to need a holding mid too much in our league.

Hopefully not a Baccus replacement but it does make me fear the worst.

Area of the park we needed more depth in, don’t think he’ll be a replacement for Baccus mate.