The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Could this be our year for another chance to lift the cup?

I fcuking hope so. Unlike the English FA cup our tournament still is treated by the top clubs as a very special competition.

COYS.

Would love to see Mark O’Hara repeat what previous captains have done. 

IMG_6982.jpeg.3fb17d407292ff45930e1ac4dd323176.jpeg

IMG_6984.jpeg.543fd39780b78f036fa0d8db8e9cc904.jpeg

IMG_6985.thumb.webp.a9a5a4d74ca487a9a24a37ab56285209.webp

13 hours ago, flood said:

Rumours are that Killie have him tied up on PCA

Yip and story I was told this week is they are trying to push it through this window with Martindale seeing that as an opportunity to provide a bit of cash to wheel and deal so it could happen. I think he will do well in a better team.

Robinson on Main:

"I spoke to Curtis and we made him a very good offer. I have a very good relationship with Curtis and I wish him nothing but good luck. But he has to look after his family as well and we couldn’t compete with that offer and didn’t want to compete at that level. He’s one of many people we have spoken to. When you sign players, they have to be better than what you’ve got. If you pay silly money, it maybe sends things backwards to where they were 18 months ago.”

9 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Robinson on Main:

"I spoke to Curtis and we made him a very good offer. I have a very good relationship with Curtis and I wish him nothing but good luck. But he has to look after his family as well and we couldn’t compete with that offer and didn’t want to compete at that level. He’s one of many people we have spoken to. When you sign players, they have to be better than what you’ve got. If you pay silly money, it maybe sends things backwards to where they were 18 months ago.”

Dundee have either way more money than us or are resorting to overspending. 

We have missed out on a few players according to Robbo. He is rightly keeping the club in budget. 

We can't set us back financially. 

I trust the manager to get a couple in the door who will add to the squads quality. 

2 hours ago, AW saint said:

Offered a lot last season Curtis but with 13 goals in 74 games, he was not Kevin van Veen. I think we're sensible.

32 in June so he's obviously trying to squeeze as much money out of the game while he can. Must have concluded that he'll be able suck up 3-4 hours in the car every day back and forward from Elderslie to Dundee. Won't be doing the school run any more anyway!

4 hours ago, AW saint said:

We have missed out on a few players according to Robbo. He is rightly keeping the club in budget. 

We can't set us back financially. 

I trust the manager to get a couple in the door who will add to the squads quality. 

Dundee are in debt and it’s increasing year on year. They have wealthy owners but surely the governing bodies should be looking more closely at clubs that spend beyond their means. Especially ones that have been in administration twice before. 

https://dundeefc.co.uk/club/accounts/

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

The live audio is horrendously bad, how hard is it to do live audio? 😂

Usual equipment was faulty today - was done with a fairly makeshift set up

46 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Usual equipment was faulty today - was done with a fairly makeshift set up

Fair enough and certainly not a criticism of you guys, it just sounded like you were commenting in a windstorm with dial up internet tones in the background 😛

Given how cold you guys get doing this, it is greatly appreciated 👍🏻

20 minutes ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Didn't make the game today, how was Kwon?

A wee bit rusty, but looked pretty useful, albeit against lower league opposition.

Stick him in the middle and tell him to break up play and make tidy passes and he'll be fine IMO.

Some nice bits of skill too.

10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Can tell he's not played a lot of football but was probably the best player on the park for me.

That's promising, hopefully pushes the other midfielders to up their game going forward now there is a little bit more competition.

Thought Kwon looked like a proper player despite the rustiness. His touch and turns oozed class. Thought bar a couple of wild passes Elvis was good too.

Queens were hard to break down but we stuck at it and imo never looked like not going through. 

Not sure the formation worked today with two wide forwards and a Central striker. We looked better when Jamieson replaced Mcmenamin (he's becoming increasingly frustrating).

1 hour ago, Torfason said:

Fair enough and certainly not a criticism of you guys, it just sounded like you were commenting in a windstorm with dial up internet tones in the background 😛

Given how cold you guys get doing this, it is greatly appreciated 👍🏻

Didn't take it that way at all mate!

Appreciate the kind words

Edited by SS77

23 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I remember him going to Motherwell and bring relived as I know we were very interested when he was at Caley but I didn't rate him and his spell at Motherwell proved me right I thought. 

He's done relatively well at County but just doesn't fit the mould for me being 32 and not very pacy or mobile which Robinson has gone on record as saying is a requirement. 

Of the four I've mentioned, Anderson is probably the one that'd fit the mould of what we need most. Nouble is pretty close in style to Ayunga and neither Doidge or White are young or mobile enough in my opinion.

Nouble is leaving us before the window ends, 2 English League 1 clubs and 1 Scottish Premiership side have tabled bids atm. No clue who that could be though. Worth getting it in that if you play him as a striker you'll find yourself frustrated as his finishing is stinking. He's a winger, get him 1 on 1 and let him run and he'll succeed