The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, medals said:

Not ideal, but to win the cup, better to get them now. 

Full House pay day.

Guess Kwon will be out though.

Looks like you could predict the winner of every tie except the Livi one. But cup surprises happen... the Fakes and RC last round - hopefully us + Airdrie or ICT.

We need to be starting again like the start of the season.

Get goal scorers and "assisters" in ASAP.

I can't see it being a full house. Plus we have to give them 40% of the gate receipts. 

It's a terrible draw, IMHO. I'm really disappointed. If we were playing like we did at the start of the season I'd have said we'd have a decent chance. Now progression is very unlikely. Sorry to do an @elvis, but I really hoped for an away trip to Ayr or Morton, or a home tie against Bonnyrigg or Brora/Cove.

There were 40,000 at Parkhead today, at least if we got them there we'd have got a decent pay day.

26 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I can't see it being a full house. Plus we have to give them 40% of the gate receipts. 

It's a terrible draw, IMHO. I'm really disappointed. If we were playing like we did at the start of the season I'd have said we'd have a decent chance. Now progression is very unlikely. Sorry to do an @elvis, but I really hoped for an away trip to Ayr or Morton, or a home tie against Bonnyrigg or Brora/Cove.

There were 40,000 at Parkhead today, at least if we got them there we'd have got a decent pay day.

I'm with you on this. I wanted Ayr too, but unlikely as it is, there is one possible really good outcome for us - if we win.

It should still add 6 figures to our income though even if we fail

51 minutes ago, medals said:

I'm with you on this. I wanted Ayr too, but unlikely as it is, there is one possible really good outcome for us - if we win.

It should still add 6 figures to our income though even if we fail

Indeed, if we win I take it all back and it would be the best draw ever! 😍 It's the hope that kills you, though...

9 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Surely as a club we are beyond the stage of rather having the arse cheeks at their middens in the cups for a pay day ? I think most folk are disappointed with the draw but for me that is purely from a progression point of view as this is one of only two competitions we can realistically have thoughts of winning. If we have to get either cheek this early then it must at least be better to get them at home in my eyes.

A slice of the bigot pound is very "Morton" (and you can understand why)

33 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Surely as a club we are beyond the stage of rather having the arse cheeks at their middens in the cups for a pay day ? I think most folk are disappointed with the draw but for me that is purely from a progression point of view as this is one of only two competitions we can realistically have thoughts of winning. If we have to get either cheek this early then it must at least be better to get them at home in my eyes.

A slice of the bigot pound is very "Morton" (and you can understand why)

I agree, although i guess getting a few quid in softens the blow of having to go to Ibrox or Parkhead.

I wasn't doing somersaults at the draw, but we're good at home and we've given Celtic a game almost every time we've faced them over the past couple or seasons. They're, of course, heavy favourites but we can get a result against them.

Worst draw for the cup we could have gotten.

Against a team we wouldn't be expecting to beat, and with the way the gate receipts or TV money are worked out it's hardly a bumper pay day to offset any lack of possible progress. At least if it was an away draw we would get both more money and no need to cater for their fans.

What's more, we lose our loan player for the game. If Celtic had to pick who they'd play, they'd want a premiership team (thus no part time bar worker snapping their million pound player's legs) and if it's away they'd want one with a decent surface. While we might be 5th in the league, I genuinely feel they will be pretty happy with the draw, even with it being away.

It is what it is, and as Mowbray knows, we can pull the odd upset, but literally any other draw would have been better.

13 minutes ago, Ric said:

Worst draw for the cup we could have gotten.

Against a team we wouldn't be expecting to beat, and with the way the gate receipts or TV money are worked out it's hardly a bumper pay day to offset any lack of possible progress. At least if it was an away draw we would get both more money and no need to cater for their fans.

What's more, we lose our loan player for the game. If Celtic had to pick who they'd play, they'd want a premiership team (thus no part time bar worker snapping their million pound player's legs) and if it's away they'd want one with a decent surface. While we might be 5th in the league, I genuinely feel they will be pretty happy with the draw, even with it being away.

It is what it is, and as Mowbray knows, we can pull the odd upset, but literally any other draw would have been better.

Is it just me who thinks we have a chance. I seen us beat Celtic in the cup at home a no d Hampden. We also beat a strong Rangers at home in the cup. Cups are different to league games players know it's a chance of glory in a one off game. 

Obviously not the draw any of us would have picked, but we certainly have an outside chance. With doing away with the replays it makes the home draw much more of an advantage. Let's hope we can at least make a game of it and not be two goals down inside the first six minutes, like we were a few weeks ago. 0-0 AET Saints to win 3-1 on pens. 

Youre better playing Celtic or Rangers at home in an earlier round than at Hampden.

If you want to win a trophy youll likely have to beat one of them at some point.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

Youre better playing Celtic or Rangers at home in an earlier round than at Hampden.

If you want to win a trophy youll likely have to beat one of them at some point.

We’ve actually between Celtic on two famous occasions in semi finals to win both the league and Scottish cup. 

BTW when will you learn how to use apostrophes. 😂 

We should have beaten Rangers twice in semi finals in both tournaments in the 80’s but referee corruption was at its peak to protect them. 😡 

We only had 3000 home fans against Queens on a Sat at 3pm. 

Since Visplay will pick our game, it will be a rotten kick off time so I don't see many more buds paying £20 plus turning up. 

Children prices will be high as well so I don't expect many family's in the south stand. 

Hoping for a 12-30 k/o but likely be a late Sat or Sunday k/o.

48 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

We beat Celtic at home in the cup in 2009 (I think). We're a far better team now, although so are Celtic.

I’m not sure the Celtic team now is better than the one in 2009.

I would agree our side is better now. 

The week before this tie we lost 7-0 at Parkhead in the league.

IMG_7115.thumb.jpeg.bd55de9696903bdfcbfdf8181d99363c.jpeg

13 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Yeah, looking at the team lines there I'm inclined to agree actually. 

1 hour ago, ZingaliMan said:

Is it just me who thinks we have a chance.

I'm not writing us off, but it doesn't change the fact we have gotten the worst draw going.

Can't be changed now, and obviously Robinson and the players will go into the game hoping for victory.

33 minutes ago, Molotov said:

Mo fucking Camara, what an absolute charlatan. I am actually surprised we only lost 7 while he was in our defence.

1 hour ago, tam the bud said:

We only had 3000 home fans against Queens on a Sat at 3pm. 

Since Visplay will pick our game, it will be a rotten kick off time so I don't see many more buds paying £20 plus turning up. 

Children prices will be high as well so I don't expect many family's in the south stand. 

Hoping for a 12-30 k/o but likely be a late Sat or Sunday k/o.

I agree. I have read lots of Tweets in which folk are predicting a full house. I think we'll be lucky if it's 3/4 full. 

8 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I agree. I have read lots of Tweets in which folk are predicting a full house. I think we'll be lucky if it's 3/4 full. 

40% plus will be taken by them and its the cup.