The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, SS77 said:

He chased the ball constantly and left gaps all over the park when he was midfield - he’s a lot more disciplined when he plays at the back and it suits our team perfectly

Did he not end up sent off twice against us for Accies playing in centre mid? Granted one was a clear goalscoring chance where he had no real option but to drag our player back but still.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Did he not end up sent off twice against us for Accies playing in centre mid? Granted one was a clear goalscoring chance where he had no real option but to drag our player back but still.

Aye. He had a reputation for being a bit of a clogger when he played centre mid for them.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Aye. He had a reputation for being a bit of a clogger when he played centre mid for them.

It's why Hibs and Hearts fans were wanting them to target him as the weak point in the team any time we've played them as they have same memories of his time in Hibs midfield. As I said earlier in this thread, Gogic playing centre half for Hibs never joins us as Hibs would've never let a guy performing at his level leave.

Funnily enough, the only two straight reds of his entire career both came against us in those  back to back fixtures against Accies! He did get a bit of a rep amongst our supporters as a clogger for that reason as well but I remember more good performances against us for Accies than poor ones.

Edited by djchapsticks

Posted (edited)

Gutted that there are no current St. Mirrens players in the Scotland squad.

(3 ex though )

The Euros just came too early for...

Shuan Rooney

Edited by medals
Current added

Baccus apparently being announced at Mansfield Town today.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Baccus apparently being announced at Mansfield Town today.

They've just been promoted to League One but he is far, far too good for them.

Don't get me wrong, wasn't expecting a top championship club for Baccus but maybe expected a bigger team just relegated to league one or a bottom end championship team. 

Good luck to him but that's a strange move 

Feels like too many players up here sell themselves short and jump the first time a club down there offers a large wage.

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

They've just been promoted to League One but he is far, far too good for them.

I was sure Hugh Murray last us for Mansfield at one point but his Wiki has no mention of it. 

Was sure he would have got a better club than this, sad reflection on the state of the game when we are losing players to teams like that. 

11 minutes ago, Stan Bo said:

Don't get me wrong, wasn't expecting a top championship club for Baccus but maybe expected a bigger team just relegated to league one or a bottom end championship team. 

Good luck but it's a strange move 

After us, many go downwards.

Main, Big Joe, Carson, etc...

Think he will stand out in that league but hope he has decent teammates ability wise. He is better that that.

I'm pretty sure Baccus will see this move as another stepping stone to where he wants to get to.

Good luck to him on his next chapter. 

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

I was sure Hugh Murray last us for Mansfield at one point but his Wiki has no mention of it. 

Was sure he would have got a better club than this, sad reflection on the state of the game when we are losing players to teams like that. 

Pretty sure Murray went on trial at Mansfield but didn't get a contract so came back to us. 

Junior Mendes went one step further and signed for them after leaving us for a second time. 

Edited by saintmurn

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Munoz said:

I'm pretty sure Baccus will see this move as another stepping stone to where he wants to get to.

Good luck to him on his next chapter. 

No chance IMO. 

Baccus will be 28 at the end of this deal, and there's no big step up for guys playing L1/L2 level at 28. He's absolutely been sold short on this.

Maybe the offers he was receiving weren't what was expected after a stop start season but he could have gotten better than Mansfield and a club up here would have been a far better shop window.

Edited by djchapsticks

Can't wait til the EPL and its lower leagues implode.

No way Mansfield should even be thinking about signing players from a premier league team thats qualified for Europe.

Surprised he signed for Mansfield but even more so that he did it so quickly.  I think he could have got better offers as the summer progressed. 

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

No chance IMO. 

Baccus will be 28 at the end of this deal, and there's no big step up for guys playing L1/L2 level at 28. He's absolutely been sold short on this.

Maybe the offers he was receiving weren't what was expected after a stop start season but he could have gotten better than Mansfield and a club up here would have been a far better shop window.

He's 25 just now, and one standout season down there coupled with continued progress with Australian national team might see him get a move to the Championship. Imo he's probably not good enough for the EPL.