The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 minute ago, Torfason said:

Surprised he signed for Mansfield but even more so that he did it so quickly.  I think he could have got better offers as the summer progressed. 

Would the failed move to Bolton maybe have spooked him into taking the first concrete offer?

8 minutes ago, Torfason said:

Surprised he signed for Mansfield but even more so that he did it so quickly.  I think he could have got better offers as the summer progressed. 

PCA?

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Would the failed move to Bolton maybe have spooked him into taking the first concrete offer?

It was all down to fitness issues that deal failed, so probably seeing the opportunity to play at same level as Bolton as you say a chance worth taking to get himself in the English market.

13 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Australia have qualifiers coming up I think I'm guessing he wanted a move sorted sooner rather than later to protect himself.

Poor call from Baccus. Who is advising the lad?

A chance to play in Europe or skirt around the bottom of league 1

He has ambition to play in the EPL that is not happening anytime soon. 

Wonder where Strain will rock up Forest Green Rovers or Macclesfield

1 minute ago, Jives Miguel said:

Mansfield 😂😂😂

The biggest matches coming for your club in 40 years and your best players would rather join fucking Mansfield HAHABAHAHAHAHAHABHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

How tinpot can you get? 

who is that GIF

Just now, Arch Stanton said:

who is that GIF

Was literally just looking for that gif 😂

That is an absolutely astonishing move, tbh. Unless he's got an injury issue that's holding him back and preventing bigger clubs from taking a punt, I absolutely cannot understand why he's taken that move. I think he's a class player. This is mystifying.

4 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Was literally just looking for that gif 😂

That is an absolutely astonishing move, tbh. Unless he's got an injury issue that's holding him back and preventing bigger clubs from taking a punt, I absolutely cannot understand why he's taken that move. I think he's a class player. This is mystifying.

As far as I believe he had an injury from at the very least after the World Cup and it scuppered a move to Bolton. Possibly a bigger club would have picked it up in his medical and hes went with a smaller club.

Like most others, very surprised with this move. I tried to watch one of their games on Sky recently, as they were on a good run and going for promotion, but it was truly mediocre and I had to switch channels. They are a division above Morecambe now, but wonder what Robbo really thinks about this move. Should have held his nerve and waited for a better offer. But, hey ho, hope it goes well for him. Maybe Clough will be a good mentor for him.

I never thought we’d get any money for him or that he’d move on to a decent sized club, but even I thought he’d get a bigger club than Mansfield. They’re a right little tiddler in Football League terms and they’ll be in a relegation battle next season. 

Can only assume he simply had no better offers. He’s been available on a PCA since January, but there clearly hasn’t been a stampede of clubs to his door, or really much interest from anyone of note. 

Understandable in a way, given he’s spent so much of the season on our bench. 
No matter, he’s gone and we move on to next season with CBM, O’Hara and a couple of new midfield signings. Would be great if we could get Kwon back.

Posted (edited)

Do we not usually announce on the official twitter that players have left? Guess might be different when it's under freedom of contract (although I'd imagine his contract would probably end at the end of this or next month) 🤷

Edited by saintmurn

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Munoz said:

He's 25 just now, and one standout season down there coupled with continued progress with Australian national team might see him get a move to the Championship. Imo he's probably not good enough for the EPL.

He's 26 in a couple of weeks and will be playing for a nothing team who have just came up to L1 so will be unlikely to be troubling the upper reaches of the league and is very unlikely to be drawing suitors for a move after a season in a side dossing around about 18th in League 1 and scraping survival.

This is it for him IMO. He's not going to go down there to a shite non-entity of a team and pull up trees. Makes me think there must be something else there in terms of injury, fitness etc that big clubs just don't fancy as he's definitely good enough to play Championship but unless Mansfield go on a mad run that leads to a second promotion, never will.

Edited by djchapsticks

Underwhelming and disappointing is how I’d describe this and Mansfield fans will be trawling forums to find out more about him and St Mirren thinking who do they think they are as well. I wish him good luck and there’s definitely another move on the way. 

Just now, Lola montez said:

Underwhelming and disappointing is how I’d describe this and Mansfield fans will be trawling forums to find out more about him and St Mirren thinking who do they think they are as well. I wish him good luck and there’s definitely another move on the way. 

To be fair, that's understandable. Mansfield have won a watch. They've got a player who is far about the level they operate at. Most of us accepted he was gone and felt it would be at the very least, a good L1 side like Wigan or the aforementioned Bolton. More likely a lower to middling Championship side.

Christ, he'd have been far better staying up here and going to Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen. But you need to believe that through all the opinions we have, the offers just didn't materialise.

Still mental to think that in a straight choice between us and Mansfield, he was so desperate to play in English football he picked them instead of telling his agent to shut the f**k up and let him sign whatever we offered him for another year or two.

To be honest, I don't give a monkeys about where Baccus plays his football now that he's gone - just as long as he hasn't signed for any of our Premiership opponents !!

Mansfield certainly doesn't feel like a natural home for a current Aussie international, but obviously they are offering him a sign-on fee and a weekly wage well in excess of what we were offering him.

For the vast majority of his 2 seasons with us he has been a major asset to our squad. We should thank him for that, and wish him well going forward. 

5 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

To be honest, I don't give a monkeys about where Baccus plays his football now that he's gone - just as long as he hasn't signed for any of our Premiership opponents !!

Mansfield certainly doesn't feel like a natural home for a current Aussie international, but obviously they are offering him a sign-on fee and a weekly wage well in excess of what we were offering him.

For the vast majority of his 2 seasons with us he has been a major asset to our squad. We should thank him for that, and wish him well going forward. 

Good post. 

Glad he is not playing against us. Good lad and wish him well. 

46 minutes ago, Lex said:

No matter, he’s gone and we move on to next season with CBM, O’Hara

Better hope there's no big dogs like Exeter City or Crawley Town sniffing about or they'll be off like a dog eating hot dogs.

It's a decent enough move. You've got to put these things in context.

Mansfield have just gone up, and my mates who support them have been banging on about them needing to bring the age of the squad down a bit, so I think they'll be moving a lot of players on. Likely to have a bit to spend as a result, as they're keen to cut the squad to a more lean one next year.

It's quite a nice part of the world and he'll be on a good wage at a club that gets bigger crowds than St Mirren (despite the MANSFIELD?? chat on this thread).

League One is a decent level to play at, and at his age if he has a really good year next season he could get a good move. Also, it's not a particularly strong League One, so Mansfield will have an eye on maybe pushing up the table a bit, which is no doubt how they've sold it to him.