The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I like the sound of Idowu.

However, he looks like another one of Foyle/Robinson's projects and I'm not expecting too much until he's had a proper manager spend some time developing his talents.

If we want to increase our chances of being top six, we need to start scoring more goals. Whether that's by some sort of miracle signing of a forward, or further developing what we have, it's crucial to us winning more games. We were a decent team last season and hard to play against for the most part, but we lacked the killer touch in a lot of games.

When you look at last season's bottom six teams, who were overall of a pretty poor standard, a few of them could have possibly suffered Livingston's fate, if it wasn't for a forward who was scoring goals regularly for them. E.g. Bair/Biereth, Murray, Miovski, and latterly even Sidibeh for St.J.

An age old problem, but one that it would be nice to sort out for once in a pretty long time.

4 hours ago, FTOF said:

I like the sound of Idowu.

However, he looks like another one of Foyle/Robinson's projects and I'm not expecting too much until he's had a proper manager spend some time developing his talents.

If we want to increase our chances of being top six, we need to start scoring more goals. Whether that's by some sort of miracle signing of a forward, or further developing what we have, it's crucial to us winning more games. We were a decent team last season and hard to play against for the most part, but we lacked the killer touch in a lot of games.

When you look at last season's bottom six teams, who were overall of a pretty poor standard, a few of them could have possibly suffered Livingston's fate, if it wasn't for a forward who was scoring goals regularly for them. E.g. Bair/Biereth, Murray, Miovski, and latterly even Sidibeh for St.J.

An age old problem, but one that it would be nice to sort out for once in a pretty long time.

Yeah, though I think most of our strikers will score if given chances, I think it's a bit more creativity we miss. Last season Strain was the main provider when fit, but mostly wasn't fit. Tanser will chip in a bit, and CBM is decent from a dead ball but beyond that we struggled to create chances a lot of the time. I think we need someone who can beat a man and create a bit of space and put in a decent cross/pass more than we need a new forward.

2 hours ago, GAD said:

Yeah, though I think most of our strikers will score if given chances, I think it's a bit more creativity we miss. Last season Strain was the main provider when fit, but mostly wasn't fit. Tanser will chip in a bit, and CBM is decent from a dead ball but beyond that we struggled to create chances a lot of the time. I think we need someone who can beat a man and create a bit of space and put in a decent cross/pass more than we need a new forward.

Maybe we did struggle in terms of creating chances more than in previous seasons.

However, over the past few seasons, how often have we sat through games and thought we should be two or three up having scorned several goal scoring chances?

12 minutes ago, AW saint said:

I expect Rooney, Idowu and O'Hara to chip in with a few goals. 

I would like a penalty box striker to come in. Gives us a different option

Expecting a lot more from McMenamin this year too, seemed to come back onto a game at the end of the season so hopefully he kicks on and can add some consistency this season. 

2 hours ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Is the Dunfermline game likely to be on St. Mirren TV on Saturday (or whatever the Dunfermline equivalent is)?

I don’t think we’ll have a stream for it mate. I’m not sure what Dunfermline’s plans are either!

But lets face it none of this matters compared to the upcoming Renfrewshire Cup Final.

Spoiler

They lied to me you know when they told me back in the 90s it was gonna be the last one.

9 hours ago, btb said:

But lets face it none of this matters compared to the upcoming Renfrewshire Cup Final.

Hide contents

They lied to me you know when they told me back in the 90s it was gonna be the last one.

It's not. There's a discussion about it here.

https://forum.pieandbovril.com/topic/291993-renfrewshire-cup