The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

20 hours ago, Desp said:

All the best for tonight, lads.  I hope you get the result to progress.

Nights like these don't come along too often for clubs like ours, so enjoy every minute! 

Well in lads.  A thoroughly convincing performance.  Getting St.Mirren at 13/10 half an hour before kick-off was a wonderful wee treat as well.  Printing money!

It's almost like Stephen Robinson knows what he's doing at this level. 

50 minutes ago, meadowroadsaint said:

Tom English said on the radio last night that Saints are already guaranteed €900,000 so far.

I appreciate there are probably a fair few expenses needing to against that e.g. travel etc. I can only dream of what another round win into the group stages could do for our club finances. 

44 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Have a look at Tuesday night Glasgow flight and a wee overnight in travellodge

That did cross my mind but having looked at the flight times I think we are aiming for the flight that lands in Bergen at 11.40 on the day of the game. A couple of the guys I’m planning to travel with are pushing their luck with regards to time off work so it’s going to have to be a flying visit.  

From my seat in W3, I thought the tifo effort in the family stand looked great. Grabbed a quick pic, but fair play to those who organised something that covered the entire four stands. These things take time and effort. I thought it was an excellent effort and added to a long-awaited ocassion. All I had to do was to hold up a bit of plastic for thirty seconds, then it’s onto the game. I can manage that.

9810A8EB-2A62-4BFB-9D7D-4ECC938C6AC5.jpeg

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I still remember being at the court, the day we lost 5-1 to Morton in 1999 and the 5th goal going in and the noise sounding like it was coming from about 50 yards away rather than half a mile.

I’m glad both you and St Mirren have turned their fortunes around. 😂 

It’s been some rollercoaster since our promotion under Tom Hendrie in 90/00. 

The 90s really were a tough time to be a Saints fan.

This is why it’s so important to enjoy these moments just now.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Balcombe is a player. I’d be all for us passing back to the keeper as much as possible and watch him ping it about the park. 

His save just after Rooney scored was phenomenal. Thought the Valur guy was miles offside but having watched the game again this morning the linesman got it right - as opposed to our second 🤣

What a night that was. Makes all the shite days over the years (and the roadworks on the way home) absolutely worth it for moments like that. Incredible atmosphere, fantastic weather, tremendous performance (couldn't care how good/bad Valur are in the grand scheme of things), really could not have asked for more.

9 minutes ago, iceblink said:

The Saints website has kick off TBC for the Brann hame, however according to Livescore it's 1800. That would be a pisser!

Screenshot_20240802-103847.png

They did that for the Valur game(s) - kick-off times will likely be agreed today. Only way we’ll be anything other than 7.45pm next week will be if TV pay enough to warrant a switch - away game will likely be 6pm based on Brann’s previous matches.

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

I believe the winner of our tie will be seeded and will therefore avoid Chelsea.

Save them for the League Phase.

Brann ticket bought. No offence to Valur, but this is a step up in every way. Proper European stadium, higher standard of league, and God bless their cotton socks, but Brann will bring more than 22 fans.… my attitude now is that this is a free shot for us. We’ve qualified for Europe, we have negotiated a tricky tie, and in doing so, didn’t become another Scottish team who got pumped by an Airbus New Saints Diddyship FC mob. Anything now is great, but if not, and Brann progress, no shame. Bring it on. Their stadium looks good on their website too. 

0201C5B8-44A8-48A9-9517-3CE1D3865C9C.jpeg

Edited by pozbaird

10 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I believe the winner of our tie will be seeded and will therefore avoid Chelsea.

According to Wikipedia we will be unseeded for the play off round if we win this tie. I was also under the impression that we would take the seed of Brann if we won, but our potential opponents in the final qualifying round are teams like Fiorentina, Chelsea and Betis. 

2 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

According to Wikipedia we will be unseeded for the play off round if we win this tie. I was also under the impression that we would take the seed of Brann if we won, but our potential opponents in the final qualifying round are teams like Fiorentina, Chelsea and Betis. 

That was my understanding too.

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong mind. 

9 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

That was my understanding too.

Wikipedia has been known to be wrong mind. 

Kassies website also states we will be unseeded. And we have a higher seeding than Brann anyway. They took Go Ahead Eagles seed for this round but that disappears afterwards for the final qualifying round.

Edited by Turkmenbashi