The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I thought they'd all been sold?! 

I saw on Twitter that this mob's squad is comparable to Hearts' in terms of value and ranking according to the clubs' coefficient:

So basically, it will be a tough game tomorrow, but we can realistically win this tie. I wonder whether the wet conditions will favour us more?

Think they will be as used to the rain as we are bud , colder but probably as wet as we get.

5 hours ago, weebud said:

Im not convinced but even with that why not tell folk🤷‍♂️

so we sold 350 tickets online in 2 or 3 mins.if tickets had been sold without a 50/50 split then i imagine 746 would be sold online and the first 4 people in the queue at the stadium would join them.

is that fair?

maybe they didn’t tell as they didn’t want an influx of people at the stadium for so few tickets.there must have been loads of people in the queue who missed out today without knowing the selling arrangements so why entice more

i don’t know the answers and i don’t know the solutions but i am genuinely gutted for anyone who missed out 

I saw a st Mirren fan account has done thread for anyone looking/selling a ticket. Didn’t have on my bingo card that there would be scam bots pretending they have st Mirren away tickets for sale!

Edited by zildjian

6 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

so we sold 350 tickets online in 2 or 3 mins.if tickets had been sold without a 50/50 split then i imagine 746 would be sold online and the first 4 people in the queue at the stadium would join them.

is that fair?

maybe they didn’t tell as they didn’t want an influx of people at the stadium for so few tickets.there must have been loads of people in the queue who missed out today without knowing the selling arrangements so why entice more

i don’t know the answers and i don’t know the solutions but i am genuinely gutted for anyone who missed out 

I am a bit surprised tickets sold out so quickly - I wrongly predicted that there would be tickets left given the healthy support we took to Iceland and the challenges with financing 2 away trips in such a short space of time, not to mention getting time of work. Looks like everyone who missed out on Iceland wanted to go to this one.

Gutted for anyone who won't get at least one away European trip.

7 hours ago, Buddie Holly said:

is that fair?

maybe they didn’t tell as they didn’t want an influx of people at the stadium for so few tickets. there must have been loads of people in the queue who missed out today without knowing the selling arrangements so why entice more

No system is entirely fair BH, I agree with that. There was always gong to be a larger number trying online and the site queueing figures bore that out so again I'm not sure 50/50 was the right split maybe 80/20 would have been better. Someone posted earlier that anyone not in the ticket office queue by 13:00 wasn't getting a ticket, my pal went into the queue at around 13:45 due to not getting them online, he just missed out and reckoned there was maybe a handful in front of him that didn't get tickets when John Needham started taking names. I guess the office queue grew after online sales were completed. I'm lucky I've got tickets but I just think the messaging could have been better and similarly gutted for anyone missing out.

The upside is that we sold out our allocation which will have come as a surprise to a few who didn't think we'd take 750 fans with us. I also know of quite a few more who have taken some sort of semi-hospitality.

Edited by weebud

10 hours ago, Insert Amusing Pseudonym said:

Transfermarkt need to get their squad valuation updated to reflect the Gerald Taylor Millions 

Just think how much our squad would have been worth had we held onto International stars Ryan Strain and Keanu Baccus. 😃

Not slagging either of them, both very, very good for us and popular players, but we haven’t missed them. Not one bit. Anyway, if Brann and Hearts are ‘similar’, then it should be a competitive affair.

I would have imagined 750 tickets would have been enough,

The bigger clubs - Old Firm, Aberdeen & Hearts - all have a loyalty scheme whereby this kind of ticket scramble is averted and the most ardent fans are given priority. 

Here's how Aberdeen award points: https://www.afc.co.uk/tickets/priority-points/

Is it worthwhile implementing such a scheme for the Saints? I would guess not, because these European games and, perhaps, Hearts away, are the only time I recall this happening. However, it only seems fair that those who go to Ross County on a Tuesday night, when we have nothing to play for, get first dibs.

Talk of implimenting a travel points system at a club our size is nonsense. The arse cheeks, Aberdeen and Hearts fair enough. Much bigger clubs with far more regular European participation. These schemes require a ton more admin and therefore cost. For a start as we rarely fill any domestic away capacity bar perhaps Tynecastle a lot of the times we are buying tickets direct from the likes of Dundee, Killie etc, how would that work ? Presumably we would need to handle ticket sales for every away game just to make a scheme work that let's be honest might not be needed for years on end. It's just not practical for these very rare occasions that it might be required. 

We have been unlucky (in one respect) with the draws. It's a bit of a viscous circle in that we drew clubs geographically close enough to allow folk to travel but with the downside of limited capacity for travelling fans. Anyway no problems in Kazakhstan, we should get 1500 min (30k capacity) so that should avoid a mad scramble. 

38 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

I would have imagined 750 tickets would have been enough,

The bigger clubs - Old Firm, Aberdeen & Hearts - all have a loyalty scheme whereby this kind of ticket scramble is averted and the most ardent fans are given priority. 

Here's how Aberdeen award points: https://www.afc.co.uk/tickets/priority-points/

Is it worthwhile implementing such a scheme for the Saints? I would guess not, because these European games and, perhaps, Hearts away, are the only time I recall this happening. However, it only seems fair that those who go to Ross County on a Tuesday night, when we have nothing to play for, get first dibs.

Ross County sell away tickets direct so how do you monitor that? 

1 minute ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

So do the Fakes and Livi. Both Dundee and Hibs had a pay at the gate for Away fans last season.

So, if we had a points system, you would get points if you bought away tickets through SMFC. If you PATG, you don’t. If it’s not offered by the club (RC etc) then we’re all in the same boat. 
I reckon that we would get a fairly obvious idea of who went to the majority of away games from the info gathered through SMFC ticketing. 
I also think you should get points for being a SMISA member, as there isn’t really much of a personal benefit to it as it stands  

36 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I think you and @Billy Jean King might have missed this part of my post:

Is it worthwhile implementing such a scheme for the Saints? I would guess not, because these European games and, perhaps, Hearts away, are the only time I recall this happening. 

To clarify, I suggested it is not worthwhile implementing such a scheme. I merely lamented the fact that the way this has been done will have meant that some folks who travel everywhere will not see the game, and I think that's a shame given they may well have missed out on Iceland, too, and the opportunity might not arise for another few decades.

19 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

So, if we had a points system, you would get points if you bought away tickets through SMFC. If you PATG, you don’t. If it’s not offered by the club (RC etc) then we’re all in the same boat. 
I reckon that we would get a fairly obvious idea of who went to the majority of away games from the info gathered through SMFC ticketing. 
I also think you should get points for being a SMISA member, as there isn’t really much of a personal benefit to it as it stands  

As devil's advocate........what if someone goes to more away games than home games because of where they live, doesn't have a season ticket for obvious reasons and therefore doesn't financially support St Mirren as much as someone who attends games at The SMiSA, who should get priority there.

Just now, weebud said:

As devil's advocate........what if someone goes to more away games than home games because of where they live, doesn't have a season ticket for obvious reasons and therefore doesn't financially support St Mirren as much as someone who attends games at The SMiSA, who should get priority there.

If we were to have a points system - which is probably not worthwhile, unless it could be administered by volunteers, or something - then every fan would know how points are allocated prior to the start of the season:

Screenshot2024-08-0810_47_03.png.a015f4288887a8ec4dd506ee2f51edb6.png

In this example, a season ticket is worth 40 points. So in your example, one would have to travel to 20 away games in order to obtain the same number of points as a season ticket holder. 

2 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

If we were to have a points system - which is probably not worthwhile, unless it could be administered by volunteers, or something - then every fan would know how points are allocated prior to the start of the season:

Screenshot2024-08-0810_47_03.png.a015f4288887a8ec4dd506ee2f51edb6.png

In this example, a season ticket is worth 40 points. So in your example, one would have to travel to 20 away games in order to obtain the same number of points as a season ticket holder. 

That's similar to the one operated by the SFA for the Supporters Club which I'm in.........it used to be an issue when points were only given for away matches as it was strictly a "travel club" at the time. It didn't really affect me as I travelled enough to get points for most away games but I understood why people who were mostly home game attendee's couldn't build enough points to start going away. At that time especially a lot of travelling Scotland fans did it for the "experience" and never really set foot in Hampden.

7 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

To clarify,  the opportunity might not arise for another few decades.

Isn't this a wee bit small club mindset?

It kind of assumes were going to accept pissing fans off because we do expect that we'll have to piss them off not too often.

Surely, if Aberdeen et al have a better system, why can't we?

They never needed it this season, but who is to say we won't need it more often If we keep progressing?

We've been priding our club on its improved connections with the community and the fans, so here is an area we can clearly improve on.

In the meantime, rather than queues online and on the street, we should have a database of all those who want tickets and do an electronic draw. If that allows seasonticket holders 1st sweep I'm OK with that.

Good management gets rid of bottlenecks and clear issues.

Edited by medals

I’ve got two adult tickets for tonight I don’t need. They are front row near Family stand.

PM me if interested

…GONE….thanks

Edited by Theatom