The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 hours ago, AW saint said:

You can still play narrow and get caught with a ball through the centre. Robbo said it himself about the ball through the centre

So maybe that’s why he was playing narrow , as he was aware of this issue? Yet you’re complaining the teams too narrow?

🤣🤣

Shaun Rooney trolling, pissing off Scandinavian sides who have some weird superiority complex, going to their home ground and shitfesting a win.

I miss it 😭

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Also… fcuk the M8, fcuk the Clydeside Expressway, fcuk the never ending works at Charing Cross. Fcuk, fcuk, fcukedy-fcuk.

Goodnight. 🙃

I had a horrible drive back to Stirling last night . Managed to get through the Clyde tunnel , but switchback was all roadworks and took the wrong turn off , ending up at Bearsden Cross, so ended up on a very misty  Stockiemuir Road . Horrible drive .

1 hour ago, thomas said:

Credit has to go to Marcus Fraser last night, I imagine the ref and Brann player were putting him under pressure to instruct Rooney to give it back, could easily have caved and agreed.

I’m not sure the referee was putting pressure on the St Mirren players. I thought it looked like he was indicating to the moaning Brann players that there was nothing wrong with the ‘injured’ player and they booted it out simply to waste time. Who knows. Never mind. Get it up ye’.

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

Is he definitely suspended though?

He shouldn’t be - UEFA competitions are three bookings before a ban. 

Safe to say we wont be winning the Uefa fair play award.

f**k them.

Brann are some team though, whoever came out with the Norwegian Hearts comparison though 😂, never seen Hearts or Aberdeen play like that before. Maybe similar size clubs/income but the comparison ends there.

We didn't do ourselves justice either, we will need to up it to have any chance of qualifying. 

1 hour ago, Biscuits said:

Is he definitely suspended though?

Possibly not.

In case of repeated cautions:

1. before the league phase, players and team officials are suspended for the next competition match after three cautions, that did not result in a red card, as well as following any subsequent odd-numbered caution (fifth, seventh, etc.). Exceptionally, after the completion of every two rounds in a UEFA club competition (i.e. UEFA Champions League and/or UEFA Europa League and/or UEFA Conference League) in which a player was registered on a club’s list and eligible to play, the number of cautions that player received that did not result in a repeated caution suspension is reduced by one;

Edited by FTOF

31 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Safe to say we wont be winning the Uefa fair play award.

f**k them.

Brann are some team though, whoever came out with the Norwegian Hearts comparison though 😂, never seen Hearts or Aberdeen play like that before. Maybe similar size clubs/income but the comparison ends there.

We didn't do ourselves justice either, we will need to up it to have any chance of qualifying. 

Came on to say the same about the Hearts comparison from that guy on X.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Hearts or any team up here outside Celtic under Ange play like that.

32 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Never a booking in a million years.

Goalkeeper is at it.

The keeper learned a lesson last night. If you're going to try and waste time, don't do it by giving your opponents a throw in 20 yards from the goal line. And definitely don't do that moments after feigning injury to waste more time and get an opposing player booked.

After we scored one of their players was having a go at him, gesturing that he should've hoofed it out at the half way line. 

They also had three chances to defend after that; one from the throw in, again from the resulting corner, which they cleared to about 25 yards out, and finally the last ball into the box. So, they can moan all they like but they only have themselves to blame.

I'd say the cheating went both ways. St. Mirren got free kicks from dives/semi dives/smartness the 1st half and even the Norwegian commentator Henning Berg (ex Man Utd/Blackburn) pointed out that your goalie most likely went down to allow the rest of the team a tactical chat. He can't be sure though, but every team does that when in trouble nowadays.

Have to say the Brann fans you hear or read post match are the ones with the loudest voice or caps lock on. Most Brann fans are pissed off with goalie Dyngeland naively/cynically choosing to kick the ball out of play. He shouldve at least smashed if 50 meters further up the pitch, because he got really nice long pass skills.

I love our coach. He is extremely on fire during the matches, but he didnt want to talk about fair play post match. It happened. Next match please. Players are quite the same so they sent director Christian Kalvenes (ex Dundee Utd) instead.

I don't understand why Brann stopped playing on 1-0. They were so good. I think they might be a bit obsessed with learning how to act cynical in European games when in the lead away from home. This style of play has reached the Norwegian league as well and they have lost matches when they have surprisingly been down 0-1 and the opponent have started to waste time.

It all started with Brann - Fredrikstad 0-2 when 13 (!) minutes was added in the 2nd half because of time wasting. Fredrikstad needed on-pitch treatment no less than 13 times in that match. In the next away match FFK needed treatment 14 times.

After that, I think Brann have tried to learn how to control and slow down games when needed. Didnt need that yesterday though. 

Edited by RagaRocker

Just to move anyway from the game for a minute....Ryan Jack? Was sitting next to Jim Gillespie from the picture I could see 

Im not sure he fits the Robbo type of signing and I'm not sure he's actually what we need (albeit, despite tactical reasons I still think the midfield was off it until Dennis came on last night)