The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

Was thinking the same. Really not much dig in the middle of the park. 

Will be a real test for young Fraser. 

I have the fear for today. Players will be knackered with lack of experience on the bench. 

proving exactly to be the case, hopefully the manager has alternate plans because we could play till whenever we don't look like shooting, never mind scoring

Just now, northstbuddie said:

Not at the races today - too many injuries.

We're struggling to win the ball in midfield - Smyth too slow and stiff and Taylor to light/small.

However, the later has shown some nice touches when in possession.

Why is the Premier Sports commentary team unpologetic United homers? Surely they could have got a more balanced.

That midfield is simply out its depth. There is no dig. 

Poor goal to lose. Balcombe does not command his box enough. 

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Yeah, we seem to really miss Adeniran when he doesn't play.

And agree about Balcombe outstanding in 1 on 1 situations but distribution is a bit hot and miss and definitely doesn't command his ball well. We seem really suspect from corners this year which hasn't been like us.

9 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Smyth is brutal, far too slow on and off the ball, looks absolutely miles out his depth.

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

It's like we're conserving energy or don't have much.

Teams are wising up to our defence leaving the 6 yard box to our keeper and the opposition attack. Its costing us.

Utd don't look great but surely we are better that this?

5 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Robbo has 2 weeks to sort out the side. We need a RCB,  a defensive midfielder and a striker. 

Jamie Langfield has also got to work on Balcombe commanding his area. 

shocked the princess bride GIF

44 minutes ago, McG said:

Smyth is brutal, far too slow on and off the ball, looks absolutely miles out his depth.

very few played well today; but Smyth looked lazy, fat and with a bad case of couldn'tbebotheritess.

Tannadice was always going to be tough. Throw in that it was our 6th game in 18 days with Kiltie, McMenamin, MoH, Adeniran, CBM and Jamieson all out. Entirely new midfield compared to last season.

No surprise we got beat and I thought the players did look knackered. Not much in the game mind you and we had a lot of the ball in the 2nd half without doing much.

Anyway, 7 day break now to refresh and get a few bodies back. Glad we've already got a league win under our belts! 

Just now, Billy Jean King said:

Pampers, Pampers, get your Pampers here no doubt from the usual suspects.  Exactly what I expected today, squad needs the next weeks recovery and some of the injured players back.

I take your point ...... but if we have 'equatable' cover in every position, where is it? because it was not on the pitch today, united was far superior to us all over the park, and apart from Smyth's attempt to chip the goalie; I am not sure we had a shot in the first half, Olysanu is good and quick, but he needs service and he got very little. I am not trying to do an Elvis; but we need to recognize our limitations and strategize accordingly, the team on the park today did NOT play like a team, too many short/miss-hit/overplayed balls, yes we can look good when the correct 11 are playing and playing well.........but not today.

4 minutes ago, northstbuddie said:

For a club with our limited resources - the injuries to Kiltie, O'Hara, Adeniran and McMenamin (less so Boyd-Munce) is too much of a handicap for us to succeed.

a fair point, but if are we not supposed to have cover? I feel; as I am sure many others do; that we lack (other than Olysanya), any impact strikers, Manderon and Ayunga are both 'plodders', one is good with his head, the other with his feet, and neither is going to solve our problem, as for Scott, the jury is still out, I wonder if Idowo might fill a role up front?

Get the upcoming Celtic game out of the way, and act like the season starts fresh again with the Dundee game. Can’t see how else to react. Re-group and go again. I’m far from going Pampers shopping tomorrow, but it definitely feels like the feelgood factor is in danger of heading towards the U-Bend at the moment. All we need now is for Dundee United to draw Spartans at home to right royally round off an increasingly scunnersome week.