The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

26 minutes ago, McG said:

Expect Lyons in this afternoon after Blackburn confirm his loan to them as permanent today.

I don't know much about him, but from what I've seen on Youtube, he appears to play through the middle. With Magennis struggling with injuries this season, this leaves us with a potential middle three of Tansey, McGinn and Lyons, but also still leaves us desperate for wide players.

Do reserve/under-23 games count towards the two club limit? Guessing not but thought I'd ask the question following the hilarity at Morton a few years back. Lyons has played for Blackburn's reserves as well as Coleraine.

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

Do reserve/under-23 games count towards the two club limit? Guessing not but thought I'd ask the question following the hilarity at Morton a few years back. Lyons has played for Blackburn's reserves as well as Coleraine.

Remind me which hilarity that was? I mean, there's been that much at Cappielow...

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Remind me which hilarity that was? I mean, there's been that much at Cappielow...

They signed Michael Tidser in January except he'd already played for two clubs so he had to sit twiddling his thumbs for six months.

We should be OK but I see there have been incidents where EPL under-21 games are classed as official games and a game in that counts as appearing for a club.

13 minutes ago, Stu said:

They signed Michael Tidser in January except he'd already played for two clubs so he had to sit twiddling his thumbs for six months.

We should be OK but I see there have been incidents where EPL under-21 games are classed as official games and a game in that counts as appearing for a club.

Ah, ok. That one passed me by. Cheers.

@Skyline Drifter - cheeky request - wondering if you can shed any light on this for us? Brad Lyons has played for Coleraine in the NI league, and Blackburn U-23s. Looks like we're trying to sign him. Can we?

Plus, Jim Kellerman has played for us this season, went on loan to non-league Fylde, and is now rumoured to be going back to Aldershot. Can we get rid of him or is he stuck with us (and vice versa) till the end of the season?

Edited by Coventry Saint

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

@Skyline Drifter - cheeky request - wondering if you can shed any light on this for us? Brad Lyons has played for Coleraine in the NI league, and Blackburn U-23s. Looks like we're trying to sign him. Can we?

"Currently, under the FIFA Transfer Regulations, a football player is only allowed to be registered with a maximum of three clubs in one season. This also applies regardless of what country that player has plied his trade in, whether that is in Europe, Africa or South America.

During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. However, a player may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season if he has moved between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (ie, start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring). This is only allowed if he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs"

1 minute ago, Spam_Valley said:

"Currently, under the FIFA Transfer Regulations, a football player is only allowed to be registered with a maximum of three clubs in one season. This also applies regardless of what country that player has plied his trade in, whether that is in Europe, Africa or South America.

During this period, the player is only eligible to play official matches for two clubs. However, a player may be eligible to play in official matches for a third club during the relevant season if he has moved between two clubs belonging to associations with overlapping seasons (ie, start of the season in summer/autumn as opposed to winter/spring). This is only allowed if he has fully complied with his contractual obligations towards his previous clubs"

So... are those u-23 games official matches?

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

So... are those u-23 games official matches?

No.

Wait, was this in the Carabao Cup? That would count, games played at U23 level wouldn't.

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, Coventry Saint said:

Plus, Jim Kellerman has played for us this season, went on loan to non-league Fylde, and is now rumoured to be going back to Aldershot. Can we get rid of him or is he stuck with us (and vice versa) till the end of the season?

Short answer, not sure. The cross border thing complicates it and FIFA get involved. Domestically games at reserve level and below SPFL don't count. Players can play for half a dozen teams at Lowland level on different loans and still turn out for two SPFL sides also. But an international transfer observes the rules fully. The NI League still uses a winter season doesn't it? So there won't be any exemption based on going from a summer football to winter football season. If he didn't play for Blackburn in the senior cup, and only played age level he might be able to sign professionally in Scotland but it's not a situation I've ever come across before. I know we looked at signing a player a year back who had turned out for an English League side and an English non League side already and were told we couldn't sign him as he'd played for his two clubs, but he wasn't playing age level football for the second one. It was 6th tier or something but it was still 1st team.

As for Kellerman, it will depend I think how the English League interpret the rule. I think there are ways he can go back and play on a "non contract" basis. Did some of the Falkirk releases not do that? They have some strange rules in the English non Leagues. It's not something I'm terribly familiar with.

43 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Short answer, not sure. The cross border thing complicates it and FIFA get involved. Domestically games at reserve level and below SPFL don't count. Players can play for half a dozen teams at Lowland level on different loans and still turn out for two SPFL sides also. But an international transfer observes the rules fully. The NI League still uses a winter season doesn't it? So there won't be any exemption based on going from a summer football to winter football season. If he didn't play for Blackburn in the senior cup, and only played age level he might be able to sign professionally in Scotland but it's not a situation I've ever come across before. I know we looked at signing a player a year back who had turned out for an English League side and an English non League side already and were told we couldn't sign him as he'd played for his two clubs, but he wasn't playing age level football for the second one. It was 6th tier or something but it was still 1st team.

As for Kellerman, it will depend I think how the English League interpret the rule. I think there are ways he can go back and play on a "non contract" basis. Did some of the Falkirk releases not do that? They have some strange rules in the English non Leagues. It's not something I'm terribly familiar with.

Thanks for the response anyway; appreciated. I'm sensing we'll be ok with Lyons, but Kellerman might be stuck unless, as you say, there's a work-around. I'm actually surprised the EU hasn't got more to say on this: you'd think a person would be able to change jobs/employers as much as they wish.

Edited by Coventry Saint

Just now, Coventry Saint said:

Thanks for the response anyway; appreciated. I'm sensing we'll be ok with Lyons, but Kellerman might be stuck unless, as you say, there's a work-around. I'm actually surprised the EU hasn't got more to say on this: you'd thing a person would be able to change jobs/employers as much as they wish.

We have had a Bosman ruling in the past that changed football. Maybe we'll now have a Kellerman ruling.

11 minutes ago, geo87 said:

I’d prefer a stubbs ruling.

As in; for any manager that is a total p***k you can can legally kick f**k of them.

There would be a rather large percentage of our fan base lining up for a  kick at Stubbs and Jackson ....:lol:

1 minute ago, Div said:

More departures imminent, taking us in to double figures for the month.

Next batch includes Dean Lyness.

Shame that Lyness is going to be honest. He looked decent but I'd imagine if (when?) Rodgers goes that means we'll need two new goalies.

Perhaps Lyness going is because he know's he wouldn't be first pick with the Slovakian guy coming in.