The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

25 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

That is really not a high benchmark at all. 

He cleared our debt and got us a new stadium into the bargain. Also overseen 2 national cup finals with us winning one. Decent chairman if you ask me.

I remember being at the fans meeting around the time of the Sevco stuff when Gilmour, McAusland et al told us we had to vote Rangers into div 1. We were sitting in the main stand and they were at the front.

I mind they took a vote and most voted against them. They were utterly exasperated.

I’ve read the last 80 or so posts and thought the tone and discontent mirrors our own Saints page. Might not be the same financial problems you suggest but some of our fans are unhappy and spreading rumours and allegations all round.
I thought football was a game, not a blood sport.

2 hours ago, Drooper said:

That's not what he said.

I sat in the boardroom and listened to what he had to say. I've been down this road before, but suffice to say, he was very much punting the armageddon line as a justification for sevco being gifted direct entry to the then 1st Division.

When I asked what this forecast was based on, he shifted in his seat before conceding that it was the claims of one Neil Doncaster  - the very man he had just referred to as a p***k

I can confirm this to be the case. That’s where I have sympathy for what SG said. He also clearly stated that if the information he was given was correct (about Scottish football finances), then it would mean cutbacks, and therefore staff redundancies, at SMFC. Now, those predictions of doom from the Cockwomble were clearly panic stations, but put yourself in SGs shoes. Directors have a responsibility to the company and staff. He was being fed a doomsday scenario, and passed it on. I do not believe SG ever personally wanted a Deadco ‘fast-track’. I believe he personally would have happily seen Deadco flushed down the toilet. Ach, why worry. Sevco went on their journey, St Mirren are still in business, and everyone is going about their business.... some, like the hapless Dundonian twins, the Inverclyde Soapdodgers, and the Bairns of Grangemouth, are going about their business in Scotland’s nether regions, but come on, we can’t blame that on SG. 😀

Edited by pozbaird

We appear to have reached the stage where one of our directors is challenging folk who give him online abuse (which was OTT) to a charity boxing match. 😂

End the season now. We're not topping that.

1 hour ago, Silvio said:

I remember being at the fans meeting around the time of the Sevco stuff when Gilmour, McAusland et al told us we had to vote Rangers into div 1. We were sitting in the main stand and they were at the front.

I mind they took a vote and most voted against them. They were utterly exasperated.

When they took it out to the Main Stand, about 80% supported their position.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

We appear to have reached the stage where one of our directors is challenging folk who give him online abuse (which was OTT) to a charity boxing match. 😂

End the season now. We're not topping that.

Well, I’m happy to continue my participation in the annual Fan Council Charity Golf Day, but if the club plan to replace it with a Bare Bum Boxing Bout, then sorry, but I’m out. I couldn’t be arsed with that.

51 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I can confirm this to be the case. That’s where I have sympathy for what SG said. He also clearly stated that if the information he was given was correct (about Scottish football finances), then it would mean cutbacks, and therefore staff redundancies, at SMFC. Now, those predictions of doom from the Cockwomble were clearly panic stations, but put yourself in SGs shoes. Directors have a responsibility to the company and staff. He was being fed a doomsday scenario, and passed it on. I do not believe SG ever personally wanted a Deadco ‘fast-track’. I believe he personally would have happily seen Deadco flushed down the toilet. Ach, why worry. Sevco went on their journey, St Mirren are still in business, and everyone is going about their business.... some, like the hapless Dundonian twins, the Inverclyde Soapdodgers, and the Bairns of Grangemouth, are going about their business in Scotland’s nether regions, but come on, we can’t blame that on SG. 😀

Aye, not seeking to demonise Gilmour and Co. Just keen to ensure the account is accurate.

I wouldn't have wanted to be in their shoes at that time.

3 hours ago, Munoz said:

He cleared our debt and got us a new stadium into the bargain. Also overseen 2 national cup finals with us winning one. Decent chairman if you ask me.

The Marrs cleared our debt, saw us into Europe for the first time in 30 odd year, saw us into our first Scottish Cup final for many a year and allowed us to believe that we'd be favourites when Celtic played us home or away. 

Didn't stop them almost killing my club and the successes Gilmour had didn't stop him being an OF sychophant.

Regardless of what Pozbaird says the info he was given at the time - to genuinely believe Scottish football clubs couldn't survive without the Rangers pound is embarrassing.