The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I don't have any issue with Goodwin resting "tired" legs, but surely any substitutions should cause as little disruption to the formation and game plan as possible, when you're so far on top of a game.

It looked like the substitutions were being drawn out of a Lucky Bag last night.

It almost got to the stage that if Lyness had come on for Obika , we wouldn't have been surprised, such was the errant nature of our substitution strategy.

Goodwin is an intelligent guy with plenty footballing experience, but too often I look at his decisions and think, "Is he watching a different game from me?".

I've given him the benefit of the doubt when we've been down to the bare bones. However, we have numerous options now, so he has no excuses.

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Our wee club played a part in that historic win last night.

So proud of John McGinn and Kenny McLean.

Fair enough it went to shit when John went off but Kenny redeemed it with the 5th penalty at the end.

I'd definitely put that down to the other two baffling substitutions. McLean for McGinn at least made some modicum of sense. ;) 

I'd definitely put that down to the other two baffling substitutions. McLean for McGinn at least made some modicum of sense. [emoji6] 
True. That post made out I was blaming McLean, which is totally not the case. The other 2 numpties however.....

Ach f**k it we made it and that's all that matters [emoji51]

Maybe because of your age but you forgot about the manager [emoji56]
Can't even use age as an excuse, I knew he played for us [emoji85].

I'll put it down to lack of sleep.

Anyway is anyone really bothered about the game today? [emoji23]. I have hope in Football again.

Would love a comfortable 3-0 win but a scrappy 1-0 win with a goal of Obika's arse will do nicely. As long as we get out the group.

Can't even use age as an excuse, I knew he played for us [emoji85].

I'll put it down to lack of sleep.

Anyway is anyone really bothered about the game today? [emoji23]. I have hope in Football again.

Would love a comfortable 3-0 win but a scrappy 1-0 win with a goal of Obika's arse will do nicely. As long as we get out the group.
Or his head.

That was dreadful. Won't be paying for another stream that's for sure.

Another stupid red card from Shaughnessy. Goodwin will need to tinker with the back line for the Livi game now.

Back 4 with Tait Fraser McCarthy Mason?

Or his head.

Another stupid red card from Shaughnessy. Goodwin will need to tinker with the back line for the Livi game now.

Maybe we'll see Finlayson get a start, is he not a central defender?

Or his head.

Yeah I think we'll almost certainly go with that.

Shaughnessy is a complete idiot. [emoji2357]

I honestly don’t know how Jim can keep saying the same things after every poor performance as we are eye bleedingly bad to watch at times.

Do we work on anything at Ralston beyond defensive shape and drills? Previous managers have been slaughtered for the type of football we are playing right now and it can only be a matter of time before Jim’s job comes under threat if this continues.

He is a cup winning captain, a real advocate for the club and a thoroughly nice guy but ultimately it will all come down to performances and results and right now it feels like a game of blink between us and Accies as to who makes a change first 😳

33 minutes ago, Torfason said:

I honestly don’t know how Jim can keep saying the same things after every poor performance as we are eye bleedingly bad to watch at times.

Do we work on anything at Ralston beyond defensive shape and drills? Previous managers have been slaughtered for the type of football we are playing right now and it can only be a matter of time before Jim’s job comes under threat if this continues.

He is a cup winning captain, a real advocate for the club and a thoroughly nice guy but ultimately it will all come down to performances and results and right now it feels like a game of blink between us and Accies as to who makes a change first 😳

I was listening to the latest Misery Hunters podcast earlier on, and 2/3 of them were saying maybe we need an attacking coach. The third was saying Jim needs to go.

I'm somewhere between the two. Thing is, if we got someone to coach the strikers, that won't necessarily change the team's attitude. Something just seems to break down in the final third.

I don't want Jim out. I want him to be a success so much. He was one of my favourite ever Saints players (in a cult hero sort of way) and I desperately want him to make this work. But he just doesn't seem to be making it click. Bearing in mind this is, for me, a really quite good squad, it's tempting to wonder if a more experienced, more attacking manager would make them click.

Can see that the knives are out for Jim among our fans, which surely means he’s not long for this parish.

In his first season in charge we had our third highest league position in 30+ years.

Second season we are 11th with 3 games in hand (five points from those games would see us back to 9th) on the teams above us and in the next round of the league cup. All this coupled with unprecedented off field COVID issues and repeatedly interrupted matches and training sessions.

Despite these unfortunate facts would i be the least bit surprised if he was sacked before Christmas?

No, absolutely not. We are St Mirren and we sack managers. I can’t remember how many managers we’ve had since 2014 but why not add another scapegoat to the list? Gordon loves a managerial fallout and I’m only surprised he hasn’t had a public spat with Jim already, it must be in the post.

Who’s next? Tommy Wright? If I was him (or another perspective candidate) I would take one look at this thread and other social media and be like, no, thanks.

24 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I was listening to the latest Misery Hunters podcast earlier on, and 2/3 of them were saying maybe we need an attacking coach. The third was saying Jim needs to go.

I'm somewhere between the two. Thing is, if we got someone to coach the strikers, that won't necessarily change the team's attitude. Something just seems to break down in the final third.

I don't want Jim out. I want him to be a success so much. He was one of my favourite ever Saints players (in a cult hero sort of way) and I desperately want him to make this work. But he just doesn't seem to be making it click. Bearing in mind this is, for me, a really quite good squad, it's tempting to wonder if a more experienced, more attacking manager would make them click.

Dennis doesn't need coaching, he knows where the goal frame is. The service to him is next to non-existent.

As I said on B&WA Obika is averaging slightly more than a goal in 3 games despite the dreadful service he gets. If he was playing in a side with creative guys around him he would be much more prolific.

We all share the love for JG as a player and as a manager we all wanted it to work. But, yet again, it's a relegation battle. Yet again we are the lowest scorers in the league.

It's not working. IF Tommy Wright is available the club should, IMO, pay him what he wants for as long as he wants because I'm  fucking  sick of  fucking about in the bottom 2 of the league at best and yo-yoing the rest of the time.

Edited by Arch Stanton

Can see that the knives are out for Jim among our fans, which surely means he’s not long for this parish.
In his first season in charge we had our third highest league position in 30+ years.
Second season we are 11th with 3 games in hand (five points from those games would see us back to 9th) on the teams above us and in the next round of the league cup. All this coupled with unprecedented off field COVID issues and repeatedly interrupted matches and training sessions.
Despite these unfortunate facts would i be the least bit surprised if he was sacked before Christmas?
No, absolutely not. We are St Mirren and we sack managers. I can’t remember how many managers we’ve had since 2014 but why not add another scapegoat to the list? Gordon loves a managerial fallout and I’m only surprised he hasn’t had a public spat with Jim already, it must be in the post.
Who’s next? Tommy Wright? If I was him (or another perspective candidate) I would take one look at this thread and other social media and be like, no, thanks.

With the exception of Jack Ross & possibly Gary Teale (who weren’t sacked), which of the dud managers sacked since 2014 do you regret losing?
I’m not advocating the sacking of Goodwin, I believe he should get more time but in what way is he being made a scapegoat? He’s put together a decent squad with various attacking options and stated in the summer he intends to go more attacking learning from his failings last year. This season we’ve seen pitiful attacking tactics in matches against St Johnstone, Killie etc. He hasn’t delivered on his promises from the summer and his defensive football is not successful. His tactics are hindering this team and they are the reason we are in 11th place regardless of the games in hand, should we get to play them. We’ve had umpteen different shapes this season with umpteen different personnel none of which have worked. Even when a team announced at 1.45pm lists numerous attacking options you can guarantee come 3pm we’ll line up with 1 up front and the others scattered about the midfield.
He’s been very well back granted we lost Magennis at an inopportune moment, in the grand scheme of things it wasn’t that big a loss. He needs to start delivering results. If he or any other manager were to start worrying or reading this thread I’d suggest they weren’t particularly suited for the job and would be best in a different field of work.

1 hour ago, Doctor Sanchez said:

All this chat about 'fans' wanting Goodwin to get his pansy-potters are insane.

I don’t think there are lots of shouts about him to go, but a lot starting to get a bit fed up and question tactics, justifiably so.

Thinking back, we started the season reasonably well and with a back 4. First time we went to a 3 was in Perth and it wasn’t pretty, went between the two and seem to have settled on a 3. He just can’t seem to get the balance right, and perhaps that’s the concerning bit.