The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Hard to agree with that.

They've spent about a million quid between Duk, Miovski and Ramadani.

They'll make at least 8x their outlay between those three when they sell them on and have hit form at just the right time. Yeah not every signing has been a hit - it never is but most of the bigger money spends are going to return for them.

For most of this season they were awful defensively. Given they have about twice our budget, they are only a few points ahead of us.

Sacked the manager because of it and got beaten by a "Junior side" in the cup.

Yes they are now on a fab run, but let's see where they finish.

9 hours ago, kingjoey said:

I'm presuming you weren't reading any Hearts threads in January/February this year.

I definitely was reading them, around the time we went toe-to-toe with them and there looked little between us as teams. I’m not being over confident or billy big baws, just not wanting to go down the usual route of thinking we’ll f**k it up, it’s the St Mirren way etc. Of course we might fcuk it up, but I’m confident in this team to go out and get the job done. No time for negativity.

Before the Livingston-Hearts-Rangers trio of games, I thought we'd had it, so it's nice to be in with a shout with a game to go. The Hearts result, frankly, could well end up being the one we look back on thinking, "this is where everything really started to go right".

On Saturday, it was frustrating as we got a lot closer than I am sure most of us could have imagined to getting what we needed at Ibrox. As I say, two weeks prior to this I worried we were out of contention, so it was funny being annoyed at not getting a point or more in Govan (I remember leaving the home game against them being annoyed we hadn't beaten them, mind - another marker of where this team is, because how often did we really feel aggrieved when we lost on all those games where we ONLY sat in, and had no counter attack to speak of?).

I'm nervous about Saturday. We SHOULD get the result we need because I think we are a better team than Killie. We have been good at home, they have been terrible away. BUT one of the rare grounds they have gotten something from is ours.

I am grateful we don't need three points (although, like DJ Chapsticks, I am really most concerned about a shot at Europe, so I hope we get them as the biggest cushion we can have over sixth as the post-split games start would be best - even if it's only 1 over Hibs or something, that's better than starting behind them) because if they can do nothing else, McInnes teams can stifle and be hard to score against.

I am in agreement that we should be on the front foot, both because three points would be best but also for another reason. The one way I could see this going badly pear-shaped is if we give away a penalty and have someone sent off into the bargain at 0-0. Killie could shut up shop on us since, as I say, McInnes teams are good at at least that. So if we can try not to hang around our own box too much, the chances of that scenario unfolding are lessened.

I wouldnt worry, theres zero chance we dont beat Hibs this weekend once Tommy Wright is announced as the interim manager.

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I thought McLean was interim manager? Or is he just taking training?

Just putting cones out for a few days then being demoted to standing watching, hopefully.

43 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldnt worry, theres zero chance we dont beat Hibs this weekend once Tommy Wright is announced as the interim manager.

Do you really think Wright would take it for 7 games or whatever just to get punted in the summer? Does he live in the area?

1 hour ago, GAD said:

Do you really think Wright would take it for 7 games or whatever just to get punted in the summer? 

I think he'd be happy to come in knowing 2 wins from 6 games makes him a hero again. If he goes after that he likely ends his career on a high rather than the low of Kilmarnock, plus it gives him a proper farewell to the fans that covid denied him.

If, as seems to be expected, we change ownership in the Summer, theres a chance he can hang on even longer too if they want some continuity to start with. 

I wouldnt want it to become a long term thing as i want a fresh start this Summer, but short term in our situation it makes a lot of sense, to the point its just the obvious right choice.