The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Brilliant to get over the line, even with a very dissapointing performance today. However, it's worth remembering that today isn't the reason we are top six, we are top six because over the season we've been consistently good. We've taken points off every team in the league. We've beaten teams like Celtic, Aberdeen, Hearts and Hibs, teams with much, much higher budgets than us. St Mirren deserve this and we've not nothing to fear from the next five games. I'm really looking forward to it.

28 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

So I take it it's not worth tuning into Alba later tonight ? 

Nope. Just be thankful you missed the game. We just never turned up unfortunately but the victories over Livingston and Hearts in recent weeks were key.

Had we got a point last week at Ibrox I think we would have played with more freedom today and the outcome may have been different. 

It just wasn’t to be unfortunately. 

11 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Should be but I'm expecting us to get fucked over somehow 

Will have to go to Aberdeen hearts or rangers for a third time to give a even split of home and away games 

49 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

So I take it it's not worth tuning into Alba later tonight ? 

Nope. Best thing about the day was the flag display in the West Stand. On the field, a day to forget, and a match I never want to see again. Hoofball in a gusty wind with any football coming from Kilmarnock. 

Still made top six though, so we move on. Phew, etc,

33 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Should be but I'm expecting us to get fucked over somehow 

It’s all horribly complicated because (I think) The Rangers would be due 5 home games & Celtic 5 away with the top 6 as it is.

So somewhere along the line, a couple of teams will have to play a team at home three times & three away.

Not sure who, but be rest assured the SPFL will do all they can not to be seen to be screwing over the Glasgow two, despite the league being dead for weeks

As far as the top 6 is concerned it’s the clubs jostling for European slots who should be considered. 

6 minutes ago, WHU said:

Will have to go to Aberdeen hearts or rangers for a third time to give a even split of home and away games

Its sometimes not possible to give all home teams an equal number of home and away games, and this happens if a team expected to make the top 6 fails.  I think only us and Celtic have played 17 home games and the others 16. There would be uproar if Celtic got and extra home game, so maybe we would get it? This post is being posted with a fine wine in hand😁

Mixed emotions. Delighted to have got the top 6 monkey off our back.

Can't help but feel in a few weeks we'll be looking back to this afternoon and kicking ourselves though.

Not that we have any god given right to beat Killie.

Straight shootout between us and Hibs for 5th over the next 5 games and see where that takes us.