The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

27 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

You'd think next season will be make or break for him. I was hoping we'd have seen a bit more of him when he came back from his loan spell as he's looked alright any time he's played.

Think we will see more of him over the next 4 games. 

30 minutes ago, McG said:

This guy really is a bellend. “After all he has done for the club”

Whatever you think of Alan personally he should not be banned from the stadium for simply pointing out what was absolutely true, the Kibble application WAS indicating the use of St.Mirren land.

Whether that was a mistake by the council or not it is a fact now not disputed by either side.

Alan shouldn't have went to the press IMHO, but I don't think that warrants a ban from the stadium!

20 minutes ago, McG said:

This guy really is a bellend. “After all he has done for the club”

Anyone who reads or links to the S*n could easily go in the “bell-end” category. Touché! 😂

Wardrop can rub people up the wrong way. However he has at least volunteered his time to help deliver projects that others involved with the club ignored.
This could all have been avoided had Gordon Scott not needed his money back earlier with the original “Buy-the-Buds” legal agreement.

47 minutes ago, Div said:

I wrote a wee piece on the events of the last 10 days if anyone is interested.

https://www.blackandwhitearmy.com/opinions/2279-kibble-0-wardrop-0

I think that all reads as a balanced take on the situation, and I side firmly with your conclusion that this is all distraction being played out publicly for reasons I don’t understand. 

The only aspect of it that I disagree with is the describing of the decision to ban him from the ground as draconian. Regardless of the degree of merit in his claims, he’s made them publicly (via smisa manifesto) and had that responded to in kind by a club statement. He’s then gone to multiple press outlets and strengthened his claims to name specific directors and club position holders as having lied and sought to scam the club. It’s untenable to continue to having the door held open for you and a match day role etc whilst that’s the case.

If anything, it’s the posting of that letter publicly and bleating again in the Sun today that’s the out of order aspect of all of this. 

For the second smisa election cycle in a row, the entire conversation has been dominated by a big personality and their supporters making use of the press to push forward a particular agenda and it’s the rest of the members, candidates and fans who are left in the dark. 

7 minutes ago, Bobby Boulders said:

I think that all reads as a balanced take on the situation, and I side firmly with your conclusion that this is all distraction being played out publicly for reasons I don’t understand. 

The only aspect of it that I disagree with is the describing of the decision to ban him from the ground as draconian. Regardless of the degree of merit in his claims, he’s made them publicly (via smisa manifesto) and had that responded to in kind by a club statement. He’s then gone to multiple press outlets and strengthened his claims to name specific directors and club position holders as having lied and sought to scam the club. It’s untenable to continue to having the door held open for you and a match day role etc whilst that’s the case.

If anything, it’s the posting of that letter publicly and bleating again in the Sun today that’s the out of order aspect of all of this. 

For the second smisa election cycle in a row, the entire conversation has been dominated by a big personality and their supporters making use of the press to push forward a particular agenda and it’s the rest of the members, candidates and fans who are left in the dark. 

Yeah I don't think going to the press was a wise move at all, nor was resigning from the board only to start throwing grenades. I'd have much preferred if the concerns had just been raised, and kept, in the boardroom.

Alan definitely hasn't come out of this brilliantly even if I do genuinely believe he has/had good intentions.

Personally I don't think the banning order is a good look though, what point does it really serve?

What happens now if Alan is elected to the SMiSA board?

All a fucking mess that should never have been allowed to get anywhere near this point.

29 minutes ago, Div said:

His name should be nowhere near the SMiSA board elections whilst this remains a point of such contention.

I'd argue he shouldn't be anywhere near the board elections anyway given that this is clearly electioneering, directly or indirectly.

34 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah I don't think going to the press was a wise move at all, nor was resigning from the board only to start throwing grenades. I'd have much preferred if the concerns had just been raised, and kept, in the boardroom.

Alan definitely hasn't come out of this brilliantly even if I do genuinely believe he has/had good intentions.

Personally I don't think the banning order is a good look though, what point does it really serve?

All a fucking mess that should never have been allowed to get anywhere near this point.

A mess of Wardrop’s doing though. He’s acting like a boxing promoter trying to garner up public interest in a fight instead of having a discussion at the relevant level and an outcome then put to the membership via a discussion like the AGM, or an EGM, should it come to that. It’s a company matter not a public one.

He’s gone about it all the wrong way and shown every reason why he is not fit to sit on the board. He shouldn’t even be in contention. If (when) he’s in then I’m out. SMiSA funds will need to be saved to buy out Kibble, rather than the current purpose.

If this issue isn’t the one that gets rid of Kibble then we’re only weeks away from the next attempt.

It is 100% electioneering. There's no escaping that fact. Based on that alone, his candidacy should be revoked immediately.

As Div has pointed out, this could all have been dealt with at boardroom level. The fact that it hasn't been and has only been made public by Mr Wardrop tells me that it is nothing more than an electioneeering tactic.

There is no denying that the documentation which was submitted suggesting he was in fact correct is not a good look. But the fact that he has been set straight on the matter by St Mirren, Kibble and the council yet still ran to the press suggests that he is looking to do nothing other than cause drama and get himself elected onto the SMISA board.

As I've made clear in the thread earlier, I still believe his supporters will elect him onto the board after all of this.

Regardless of all of the above, he has been electioneering and should stand down or have his candidacy pulled at the very least.

It’s really strange how all the smisa stuff before was kept behind closed doors, you very rarely heard much and everything seemed to be dealt with properly in private but ever since Gilmour reared his head all sorts of aliases have been posting on black and white and the likes of Twitter, it’s turned into a circus.

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

A mess of Wardrop’s doing though. He’s acting like a boxing promoter trying to garner up public interest in a fight instead of having a discussion at the relevant level and an outcome then put to the membership via a discussion like the AGM, or an EGM, should it come to that. It’s a company matter not a public one.

He’s gone about it all the wrong way and shown every reason why he is not fit to sit on the board. He shouldn’t even be in contention. If (when) he’s in then I’m out. SMiSA funds will need to be saved to buy out Kibble, rather than the current purpose.

If this issue isn’t the one that gets rid of Kibble then we’re only weeks away from the next attempt.

Yeah I think a lot of that is valid.  I'm sure Alan has more beef with the Kibble board reps than *just* this issue, but I do think the way this has been played out in public and in the press has been pretty disappointing especially with such a big game coming up and with the SMiSA elections now sidetracked (again).

I guess the issue to address here is are Kibble really bad guys, or do they maybe just have bad rep(s) on the board.

I don't personally believe the former, jury is out for me on the latter.

21 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah I think a lot of that is valid.  I'm sure Alan has more beef with the Kibble board reps than *just* this issue, but I do think the way this has been played out in public and in the press has been pretty disappointing especially with such a big game coming up and with the SMiSA elections now sidetracked (again).

I guess the issue to address here is are Kibble really bad guys, or do they maybe just have bad rep(s) on the board.

I don't personally believe the former, jury is out for me on the latter.

I think there are a lot of people now starting to ask similar questions about SMISA. Do we think these guys are going to use the money we donate each month for the good of the club, or to massage some egos and chase petty vendettas?