The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I think Baccus will move this Summer. Would rather he didn't but if his agent is worth their salt they'll be peddling him around all sorts of clubs on the basis that he was at the WC and is likely to improve further. He was a bit of a random when he came to us, so it's hard to criticise him wanting to move. It's not like he's an academy player who has been with us since he was 10 or something like that.

2 hours ago, Ric said:

giphy.gif

Rank awful keeper. I have no idea what is going on with Urminsky, quite a few saying his cameo show at the tail of last season showed he was perhaps not all that solid of a backup (which would be a shame as we've spent a lot of time developing the lad), but there is no way he's a worse keeper than Hemming. He looked a bombscare every second he was on the field.

One of those, "I trust Robinson's judgement", but still, and even if finances are stretched thin covering other places on the pitch, I would prefer we nominated a "running keeper" than have Hemmings between the sticks.

Think he felt he was made to play with an injury last season at Kilmarnock which didn’t help his performances. He was very good for them in the Championship the year before. 

32 minutes ago, Ric said:

I think Baccus will move this Summer. Would rather he didn't but if his agent is worth their salt they'll be peddling him around all sorts of clubs on the basis that he was at the WC and is likely to improve further. He was a bit of a random when he came to us, so it's hard to criticise him wanting to move. It's not like he's an academy player who has been with us since he was 10 or something like that.

I wonder if the delay in signings is because we are waiting on movement out and need that to happen first so we can increase offers to others.

3 minutes ago, Hendo said:

I wonder if the delay in signings is because we are waiting on movement out and need that to happen first so we can increase offers to others.

That's not the case. There's no chance we'll be hanging about on something that might never materialise.

Edited by djchapsticks

8 minutes ago, Cjbright1 said:

Think he felt he was made to play with an injury last season at Kilmarnock which didn’t help his performances. He was very good for them in the Championship the year before. 

I saw little of what he was like in the Championship, but being St Mirren fans we know the quality needed to succeed there.

What I did see in the Premiership was a very poor judge of play, and no amount of physical injury, or lack of, can account for that. On that basis alone it has to be a very strong no.

9 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Doubt it. If we had a 'blue ribbon' signing needing pushed across the line, and the only pushing that'll do it is money, we might hold off in hopes of securing Baccus (or A N Other) out of the club to do that, but I can't see us needing to go for such a player. I understand the FOMO - especially as other clubs are signing players, and in turn under Goodwin and Robinson we've previously being pro-active as soon as the window has opened, but it's not like our rivals (whomever they may be) are signing the players we want to sign. Killie (and you can argue whether they are our rivals) have taken Magennis, Kennedy and a loan keeper. Not even heard of the keeper, but I'm glad Killie 'won the battle' for the other two signatures I wouldn't want either at Greenhill Road.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

That's not the case. There's no chance we'll be hanging about on something that might never materialise.

The worry though is, as random guy says, we add squad players then lose our star players late in the window with no time to bring in competent replacements. 

I am getting slightly nervous about the lack of signings, coupled with sinister rumours about Donnelly etc which makes me think we are perhaps having to lower our ambitions.

1 minute ago, Hendo said:

The worry though is, as random guy says, we add squad players then lose our star players late in the window with no time to bring in competent replacements. 

I am getting slightly nervous about the lack of signings, coupled with sinister rumours about Donnelly etc which makes me think we are perhaps having to lower our ambitions.

Robinson wouldn’t have signed a new contract if he was being told his budget was being lowered or he wasn’t getting any extra cash to spend after a top 6 finish. The signings will come in good time, we just need to be patient.

I think Baccus will move this season . Bolton is a reasonable step up . I think St Mirren and his agent are working together on this,  ideally we would like him.to sign a new contract , failing that we get the best price . Watch other clubs start to get interested . Think along the lines of Ipswich , Norwich , Derby , Coventry.  

15 minutes ago, Hendo said:

The worry though is, as random guy says...

Not sure that is the arbiter you should be basing your opinions on.. ;)

15 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Dundee and Killie seem to have been the most busy, but then that's to be expected. After all Dundee barely made it out of the Championship despite having considerably greater resources than their peers, Killie on the other hand narrowly avoided the drop, or even the playoffs. They needed to act, and quickly.

Of the others, you only need to look at players such as Yuoan at Hibs, Clarkson at Aberdeen or Obika at Motherwell, these are all players that were well known to the club and presumably had talked at some length before the end of last season on whether they wished to (re)join for this one.

All in all, I understand FOMO, it's the staple of Scottish football, always having one eye on the greener grass of your opponent, but really, we have a solid spine of the team, and the only place we are possibly struggling is up front. If, by the middle of July, as in the start of the League Cup, we still haven't seen new faces then I'd be more worried.

Edited by Ric

23 minutes ago, MenstrieSaint said:

I think Baccus will move this season . Bolton is a reasonable step up . I think St Mirren and his agent are working together on this,  ideally we would like him.to sign a new contract , failing that we get the best price . Watch other clubs start to get interested . Think along the lines of Ipswich , Norwich , Derby , Coventry.  

A move to Bolton isn’t going to be great for his ambitions of being in the national team surely? It’s a step up for him in wages but I think Graham Arnold might look elsewhere in midfield if one of his starters moves to League 1.

Not in the least worried. We have been actively chasing some players but missed out on a couple of targets. Reckon we already have a couple ready to sign but with the manager being on holiday no announcements as yet. We need players better than we already have - no point in signing players just for the sake of it. Not in the least worried about who Killie, Dundee and Ross County are signing as we aspire to be back in the top 6 this season. Whether that happens remains to be seen but that is the standard we should be aiming for.

£800,000 for Baccus along with a couple add-ons is my prediction. Might get close to a million if mid-range Championship clubs get involved. Assume we will owe some of that to his Aussie club as well. This shouldn't matter, but I think his relatively slight build/stature is the only thing stopping top-end Champ clubs going for him.

This is a very different summer transfer window to what we've been used to over the years where we have either come out of a relegation scrap, or we've got a new manager on board who wants to shape the squad his way.

We've currently still got the majority of the regular staring first team players who got us that top six place last season. Of the ones that have left Main is obviously the big one, and I suppose you could make a case about Dunne, but less so I feel.

Robbo and Foyle will have done their homework months ago, but it's not always as easy as just nipping in and picking up those targets. If they are good players then we won't be the only club making an offer.

The new faces will come. Patience!

ps; I don't think the door is completely closed on Curtis Main btw