The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I'd be amazed if went into the new season with Hemming as No 1 and Urminsky as backup.

Wouldn't make any sense.

Hemming as backup to Carson (or A.N Other experienced keeper) with Urminsky moving on would surely be a more likely scenario.

Guess we will just need to wait and see.

14 minutes ago, SS77 said:

Yeah I think Carson is the best of the lot - anyone we sign is likely to be a bit of a drop off.

If there has been a falling out then it must be pretty serious and that’s made us go for Hemming.

I feel we used to have some bloody terrible keepers in my time. I loved Ludo as he was a cult hero, he was a good stopper, but not a good keeper as an example.

I think after the likes of Craig Samson we have been consistently getting better with keepers. I was worried for the likes of Hladky going to then get Alnwick in was good too. I worried with Carson coming in, but I prefer him to the lot. He is the best of both shot stopper and keeper. 

25 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

35 isn’t old for a goalie. Especially these days. 

It's not young either tbf. I think he'd likely be the second of third oldest starter in the league next season, behind Hart and possibly Marshall, but Hibs have signed a new keeper as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he stayed, I can just see a scenario where a bid might be accepted.

28 minutes ago, GAD said:

I suppose another way of looking at the Carson thing is he's 35 and will need replacing at some point. If there is a team offering us decent money to do that now instead of a year or two's time maybe they think it's worth doing?

35 is still young for a keeper.

We will be in big trouble if Carson goes and we go with Hemming as number 1.

3 minutes ago, Mainstand Sweary Mob said:

I feel we used to have some bloody terrible keepers in my time. I loved Ludo as he was a cult hero, he was a good stopper, but not a good keeper as an example.

I think after the likes of Craig Samson we have been consistently getting better with keepers. I was worried for the likes of Hladky going to then get Alnwick in was good too. I worried with Carson coming in, but I prefer him to the lot. He is the best of both shot stopper and keeper. 

Yeah, I'm not sure we had a consistently good keeper between Money and Hladky. We had a few that were alright, not properly shite or anything, but none that were as good as the last few.

Just now, GAD said:

It's not young either tbf. I think he'd likely be the second of third oldest starter in the league next season, behind Hart and possibly Marshall, but Hibs have signed a new keeper as well.

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather he stayed, I can just see a scenario where a bid might be accepted.

Yeah but he only signed his contract extension 3 months ago, I don't think the club was planning for his departure.

I'm hoping we've all put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 here but if he hasn't gone to NI and he's not injured then you'd have to ask why!

1 minute ago, GAD said:

Yeah, I'm not sure we had a consistently good keeper between Money and Hladky. We had a few that were alright, not properly shite or anything, but none that were as good as the last few.

The last 3 keepers have been the best St Mirren keepers I can remember. I never really got to see Money in his pomp.

I thought Paul Gallacher was a good keeper and I was worried when he left and Samson was going to be the number 1, but actually I think Samson was a better keeper for us over the piece. He got pelters from other clubs but he was a solid keeper for us. 

5 minutes ago, Div said:

Yeah but he only signed his contract extension 3 months ago, I don't think the club was planning for his departure.

I'm hoping we've all put 2 and 2 together and come up with 5 here but if he hasn't gone to NI and he's not injured then you'd have to ask why!

Yeah, but if a team have offered money for him now, plans may change.

2 minutes ago, GAD said:

We had more decent goalies during that stretch than really poor ones IMO.

The only really, REALLY bad keepers I can recall at Saints were Les Fridge, Derek Scrimgour, Mark Ridgers, Danny Rodgers, Scott Gallacher, David Cornell and the legendary Scott Strang.

Everyone else was passable or decent for the level we've played at.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

The only really, REALLY bad keepers I can recall at Saints were Les Fridge, Derek Scrimgour, Mark Ridgers, Danny Rodgers, Scott Gallacher, David Cornell and the legendary Scott Strang.

Sorry to say, but Langfield never filled me with confidence between the sticks. 

I thought Ridgers was ok actually. Think decent Championship keeper is his level though.

12 minutes ago, Div said:

Isn't Carson's agreement that he is with family at the start of each week?

Just now, houston_bud said:

Sorry to say, but Langfield never filled me with confidence between the sticks. 

I thought Ridgers was ok actually. Think decent Championship keeper is his level though.

Aye good point, think Langfield is first to admit his days were done by time he came to us. He's done far more good as a goalkeeping coach though so has definitely redeemed himself.

8 minutes ago, GAD said:

Yeah, but if a team have offered money for him now, plans may change.

As good as he is I cannot see a bid for a 35 year old keeper being sufficient enough to tempt us into selling.

Particularly not one that is coming off the back of such a good season.

Hopefully all this speculation is bollocks. I will be gutted if he goes.

If Carson stayed at United last season, they stay up and we probably don't make the top 6. 

Carson leaving gives me the fear for a few reasons.

Finding a replacement. We are due a bad one.

Secondly, how is it possible for the manager and player to have a fall out literally days after they have came back for training? 

8 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Do we even know for a fact that he hasn’t travelled or is that just a rumour too?

Everything is a rumour unless it comes direct from the club 😘

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I had erased that name from memory. His most memorable trait being unnecessarily punching the ball when a clean catch looked easier, presumably because he'd seen Manuel Neuer do it properly at some point.

I remember he nearly caused a goal v Morton with an ill-advised punch, so you're thinking, he got away with one there, at least he'll not try that again.

Stoppage time. Does it again. Morton equalise.

Confiming that it's much better to have someone between the sticks who puts points on the board instead of taking them off.

Is it time to post this again?

Spoiler

mh8harU.png

Like a few, I am amazed at how quickly this seems to have escalated. If there is any substance in it, of course. Robinson and Carson must know each other well enough by now that, if it was minor, this could be resolved. You can't fault Carson's performances, there's no way Robinson looks at that situation and says "time for a new keeper". Is it game time? Can't see it, even when Carson was reportedly carrying an injury he was still being picked.

The only other reasons I can think of as an issue is either finances and/or principles. That's where the rabbit hole opens. Carson signed a new deal recently, but was he told there was a cap, and has the return of Dunne, on presumably a better contract than before, changed that? As I say, rabbit hole. It's all postulation and correlation. Was he promised the captains armband this season, but denied it? Again, just rabbit hole nonsense.

It's no secret that we've had a run of luck with our keepers, but that doesn't mean we are due a bad one now. I'd maybe have played those percentage games in the Championship, but we have the finances to secure a decent keeper, even more so dependent on the Baccus deal. Yet, we all watched on in horror as the slow motion car crash of Birighitti destroyed any chances of survival for United.

20 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I thought that Mark Howard was a decent keeper

I thought Paul Gallacher was a backward step when he was signed to replace him 

Gallagher would never come off his line leading to Saints conceding a ridiculous amount of goals from crosses in added-on time.