The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

32 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A six-figure fee for Brophy is fucking mental.

Fair play to the board for that.

I’m assuming the money is more for Henderson, rather than Brophy.  50,000 x2 doesn’t sound quite so financially insane, I choose to think.

8 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

I’m assuming the money is more for Henderson, rather than Brophy.  50,000 x2 doesn’t sound quite so financially insane, I choose to think.

It's specifically a six-figure fee for Brophy.

I would assume the development fee for Henderson will be on top of that.

7 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Not sure that a statement announcing Brophy's transfer informing us of a six figure transfer fee would be announced if it wasn't for Brophy.

I suppose there could be an element of creative writing, but I'm choosing to believe you paid us the money for Brophy and there's more to come for Henderson's development fee.:P

Does the ticket office ever answer the phone? I have tried a number of times without success.

Not sure if anybody on here would know how the finance option works for season tickets? It doesn't appear as though I can buy online, hence why I'm trying to contact the ticket office. I can't go in person, unfortunately. 

1 minute ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Does the ticket office ever answer the phone? I have tried a number of times without success.

Not sure if anybody on here would know how the finance option works for season tickets? It doesn't appear as though I can buy online, hence why I'm trying to contact the ticket office. I can't go in person, unfortunately. 

To take up the finance option you have to go in to the ticket office in person to set it up.

49 minutes ago, Shuggie_Murray7 said:

A six-figure fee for Brophy is fucking mental.

Fair play to the board for that.

Aye, that can't be sniffed at. Recoups some of the money we have lost on him over the years and frees up his wage.

I thought I seen Roy McGregor saying in the media about teams over spending to get in the top 6, days later they pull this off 😂.

A fit Brophy could be the difference between a relegation scrap and a plain sailing season, but we know he'll have his issues this season. 

Scored some raspers for us though, shame it never worked out. 

Brophy can play against us now, which will be interesting. Interesting to see if he can actually score in Paisley*. Best thing for St Mirren and Brophy that we parted ways.  I’d like to say that I hope he does well for them, except in games against us, but I don’t. I hope everyone in a County shirt has a kunt of a season and they’re below us. Whatever is best for the Mirren is my only concern.. I stand by the view though that Brophy will receive a decent welcome back, he tried, just didn’t work out.

*Me bad man.

Edited by pozbaird

With Shaughnessy and Brophy away, that's 2 of the highest earners off the wage bill plus incoming transfer money.

Jay Henderson's development fee won't be buttons either as he's been with us since the age of 9.

Great business by the club to get cash in for both of them: Brophy played 169 minutes of football for us last season, Henderson 57.

2 hours ago, Savage Henry said:

Henderson isn't confirmed as a signing yet though. Two separate deals. You can't throw a player into a development fee

2 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Nahmani confirmed

A good age (20) for us to be signing him as there is clearly scope for development. In contrast I am less happy at the prospect of signing signing McMenamin who is 27 and still playing in a League which can't be entirely Full-Time - IMO he's 5/6 years too old for us to take the gamble. 

This may all just be spin.

Brophy signs a long term contract with Ross County on a lower wage but he wants a pay off for loss of wages in his last year with us.

Ross County don’t want to cause issues with their current players so pay us a transfer fee and we give Brophy a pay off.

Everyone happy and we get to spin it in a good light 

😉

Edited by Captain_Sensible

Just now, Captain_Sensible said:

Sounds like great business getting a six figure transfer fee

But if we’ve had to give Brophy a six figure pay off because he’s going to be on lower wages at Ross County then maybe not so much…..

This May all just be spin. Brophy signs a long term contract with Ross County on a lower wage but he wants a pay off for loss of wages in his last year with us. Ross County don’t want to cause issues with their current players so pay us a transfer fee and we give Brophy a pay off. Everyone happy and we get to spin it in a good light 

😉

I don't think we'd be spinning that as a six figure fee in that case - we'd surely just say what Country have said that Brophy has signed from us with no comment on the fee changing hands.

4 minutes ago, btb said:

A good age (20) for us to be signing him as there is clearly scope for development. In contrast I am less happy at the prospect of signing signing McMenamin who is 27 and still playing in a League which can't be entirely Full-Time - IMO he's 5/6 years too old for us to take the gamble. 

The McMenamin deal looks to be dead in the water. 

Interesting to see Robinson say he is working on bringing two forwards in. I'm going out on a limb and saying that is not including Nahmani as he'd have known by the time of the interview last night that the deal for him was already wrapped up, so that's not something he'd be actively working on anymore.

So it seems like that WAS going to be Fletcher and McMenamin. Now it's obviously Fletcher and another of the targets that they have their sights on.

Either way, it does look like we'll be going with a completely revamped forward line this season and will also have a bit of depth there.

Edited by djchapsticks

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I don't think we'd be spinning that as a six figure fee in that case - we'd surely just say what Country have said that Brophy has signed from us with no comment on the fee changing hands.

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw, just my guess on the situation. 

Brophy has been offered a longer contract on lower wages but wouldn’t budge unless he got compo for loss of earnings in final season. There will no doubt have been tax implications involved somewhere 

They’ve paid us and we’ve paid him. 

2 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Mibbes aye, mibbes naw, just my guess on the situation. 

Brophy has been offered a longer contract on lower wages but wouldn’t budge unless he got compo for loss of earnings in final season. There will no doubt have been tax implications involved somewhere 

They’ve paid us and we’ve paid him. 

Is there any suggestion of this at all? Bear in mind we are talking about Roy McGregor here. Brophy will go up to Dingwall and be without question, their highest paid player.

9 minutes ago, callum-g said:

The McMenamin deal looks to be dead in the water. 

Everything is caveated with 'at the moment' and 'at this moment in time' on both sides from Robinson and Feeney.

I actually am not sure this is as dead in the water as it appears and there's a bit of poker being played. Glad we aren't hanging about though to be honest.

16 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

This may all just be spin.

Brophy signs a long term contract with Ross County on a lower wage but he wants a pay off for loss of wages in his last year with us.

Ross County don’t want to cause issues with their current players so pay us a transfer fee and we give Brophy a pay off.

Everyone happy and we get to spin it in a good light 

😉

What a load of pish.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Everything is caveated with 'at the moment' and 'at this moment in time' on both sides from Robinson and Feeney.

I actually am not sure this is as dead in the water as it appears and there's a bit of poker being played. Glad we aren't hanging about though to be honest.

Possibly , a game of who blinks first ? 🤔