The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

A great day out today almost ruined by the football.

The most alarming summary of a totally abject performance was that Toyosi was probably our best player and that was coming off the bench.

We were absolutely awful and got completely what we deserved.

McMenamin at wing back is an incredible shout; almost as laughable as Mandron as a number 9.

Fuck me!

4 minutes ago, Div said:

The most alarming summary of a totally abject performance was that Toyosi was probably our best player and that was coming off the bench.

McMenamin at wing back is an incredible shout; almost as laughable as Mandron as a number 9.

f**k me!

Got to think that with 2 new strikers rocking up Mandron will be a squad player at best. 

Today was a pisser but come August there could still be changes in and out of the team. 

Suppose we just need to hope Robbo hits the right formation etc sooner. 

14 minutes ago, Div said:

f**k me!

If Toyosi looked ok it was because Montrose is his level. 

I’m consoled by the fact that we also looked a shambles this time last year and it all turned out ok, but you have to ask serious questions as to why we still cannot cope with a team that allow us the ball.

2 minutes ago, DumbartonBud said:

If Toyosi looked ok it was because Montrose is his level. 

Forget the opposition. He was MILES more effective than Greive. 

9 minutes ago, Div said:

Forget the opposition. He was MILES more effective than Greive. 

Greive and a number of players who have been on the fringes aren’t good enough. If we can’t improve this squad with proven quality I’d be more than a little worried. Yes it’s early but footballers tend to be able to show some skill and potential . We just appear a little all over the shop at the minute 

Ps we need goals and we look like a side that’ll score v few at present 

Edited by Norrie82

6 minutes ago, Div said:

I’m consoled by the fact that we also looked a shambles this time last year and it all turned out ok, but you have to ask serious questions as to why we still cannot cope with a team that allow us the ball.

100 percent - the manager acknowledged this after Arbroath last year 

8 minutes ago, Div said:

Forget the opposition. He was MILES more effective than Greive

True but for me why?

Goodwin was forced to play him when we were short up front and he really looked the part. I also think he has a scoring instinct. So why has he gone backwards? Is there something in his personal life or motivation issues with what he's being asked to do or ?

I think he has potential but is our "striker coaching" not suiting him.

Given his partner today was a stranger and worse, that can't help.

I hope we don't write him or most of the others off yet, but we need to create and take more chances.

Goals and wins breed confidence.

9 minutes ago, elvis said:

Grieve can't do anything if he's not getting service from midfield which is non existent. 

It's a fair point to expect more from the middle of the park AND from wingbacks and CB's from set pieces.

We need to be more creative.

Longer term hopefully Stav, and Conor will add goals and assists, with the big superstar scoring for fun too.

Bottom line is were not good enough (yet) team need to get the finger out and stop playing pissy passy passes and hopefull long balls. Feel like we hold onto the ball 2 much and need to make sharp quick passes and turn our markers and be more fluid, composed and direct. Mcmenamin as a wing back is a joke either stick to the tried and trusted 532 or play 4 at the back, 3 at the back will never work its easy to see that 3 centre half's don't work.

4 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I said I think the format stinks for every team… aside from those involved in Europe. I think it stinks because of the time in the season it takes place.

I agree that we are shit at this group stage malarky, no argument there. I strongly disagree with one of the two major trophies that diddies can realistically win taking place right now, in the format it currently does. 

So, your whinging jibe can fcuk right off, thank you very much. Yeah, we’re shite, but so is this League Cup format… IMHO, he added for extreme fcuking clarity.

You're still doing it. The League Cup format has f*ck all to do with a full time professional team turning up at a part time League One outfit and losing. Wish we'd have complained about the Scottish Cup format last season. 

1 hour ago, kingjoey said:

You're still doing it. The League Cup format has f*ck all to do with a full time professional team turning up at a part time League One outfit and losing. Wish we'd have complained about the Scottish Cup format last season. 

Totally agree, though I also agree that having it so early in the season devalues it.

5 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

McMenamin at left wing back has spooked me 

The terrifying aspect is it's clearly been on Robinson's mind. He's mentioned it in interviews and we all hoped it was just loose talk. But no, we are facing the reality that we've brought one of the Irish league's most effective/impactful players with a view to possibly putting him at WB.

8 hours ago, Div said:

Mandron is one of the least talented footballers that I’ve ever seen at Fir Park. Someone described him as a footballer with 4 different people in charge of his limbs. Couldn’t believe it when St Mirren signed him.