The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

15 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I mean surely this team should still qualify. Sad that we are now actually worried about a part time team at home 

Arbroath beat us in Paisley last season, they are absolutely no mugs.

9 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

They’ve regressed badly since then.

Barely stayed in the Championship last season.

Comfortable 2-0 Saints home win. 

Nothing is ever comfortable when supporting the Saints.

7 hours ago, Torfason said:

Totally agree, though I also agree that having it so early in the season devalues it.

It's only about a fortnight earlier than it used to start when it was groups from 1949/50 to 1976/77

Prior to 1950 it started a wee bit later.

58 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

They’ve regressed badly since then.

Barely stayed in the Championship last season.

Comfortable 2-0 Saints home win. 

Would disagree with this. They’re not the easiest to play against and breakdown. I thought last season they should’ve finished higher in the league than they did with their standard of play. 

4 hours ago, Molotov said:

As an aside what I noticed on the thread when I first looked at it this morning was a period (from 1977-1986) in St Mirren’s history when we arguably had the best squads of players but they never won any major domestic honour.

One of life’s greatest mysteries. 

0BABBA23-D0E4-406E-906A-35F36A6D669A.thumb.jpeg.b38dbbd88a196851307c02de03fc6071.jpeg

And during that period The Rangers had one of their weakest squads, yet still won plenty of cups. 

Not really a mystery though.  

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

I mean surely this team should still qualify. Sad that we are now actually worried about a part time team at home 

Hopefully still qualify but even if we do, unlikely now to be seeded - so potentially a much harder route to the last 16.  

With this group, especially after what happened last year, the team should have come out all guns blazing yesterday.  

For some reason they did exactly the opposite.

Leaving formations aside the team just didn’t look that bothered till the last 20 minutes.  Assuming something would happen rather than making sure it did.  

5 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

With this group, especially after what happened last year, the team should have come out all guns blazing yesterday.  

Exactly this.

A couple of years back we got to two semi finals and just missed out on top 6. Is getting papped out the league cup by part timers and finishing 6th a better season?

I suppose what I'm getting at is that a club like St Mirren needs to aim to do well in every competition we play in. Success doesn't come around all that often. Doesn't look like we take this competition seriously based on the last couple of seasons.

1 hour ago, Norrie82 said:

We should still have a good chance to qualify, but with the group we are in we really should have been looking at topping the group and being seeded in the next round. 

We haven’t performed well in any game yet so can take nothing for granted on Saturday. 

Right now I wouldn't expect us to beat anyone. However this week we should have 2 new strikers to come in. 

Get Conor higher up the park and out of LWB and we should be more potent up front. 

Unless Stav and the mystery striker are as bad as Mandron

40 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

And during that period The Rangers had one of their weakest squads, yet still won plenty of cups. 

Not really a mystery though.  

They hadn’t been born back then. But I know the two semi finals where refereeing bias went the way of the blue bigots. Lex Richardson was cruelly on the end of two horrific decisions and having spoken to him and seen photographic and video footage I know why he feels so aggrieved. 
Great player was Lex. I was absolutely gutted when he was transferred away from Paisley. 

6 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Right now I wouldn't expect us to beat anyone. However this week we should have 2 new strikers to come in. 

Get Conor higher up the park and out of LWB and we should be more potent up front. 

Unless Stav and the mystery striker are as bad as Mandron

Thought it was just one striker due in where did you hear it's two ? How many dud strikers do we need.          We need a left back sweeper pronto 

1 minute ago, ZingaliMan said:

Thought it was just one striker due in where did you hear it's two ? How many dud strikers do we need.          We need a left back sweeper pronto 

The Israeli Stav is a striker/winger plus the new Benzema will be in for training next week

8 minutes ago, ZingaliMan said:

Yeah, that's counting Nahmani as a new arrival, if not a new signing.

2 hours ago, willywastecoat said:

It's too easy to look at a lower league team and say we should be beating them,did you watch the game David?
Sean Dillon,Michael Gardyne and Rory McAllister right down the spine of the gable endies made sure the saints never got it easy.
Gallagher and Dunne missing the midfield out with 40,50 yard passes to McMenamin out to the wing was a strange tactic especially when you have a big lump of wid up top to play off.

If only I'd known you were going to the game yesterday, wee willie, I'd have foregone our trip abroad and we could have met up in the Legion for a pre-match drink. Let me know next time.

21 hours ago, Make Saints Great Again said:

We’ve hit a new low when I’m thinking Olusanya has been one of our better players

hate having to agree, previous sights of him remind me of schoolboy football, he is fast and runs around chasing everything........as Obika also did, well he did same again today and looked way better than everyone else apart from Kiltie