The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

11 minutes ago, Div said:

I’d be fairly certain that Baccus will go.

The market will have seen what we were prepared to sell at with Bolton and I reckon that will tempt someone else from down South to take a punt on him once he’s fully fit again.

Strain is a less clear cut situation.

He would be nigh on impossible for us to replace and regardless of his defensive qualities he’s almost certainly going to top our goal assist charts this season not to mention weighing in with a handful of free kick goals himself.

He is almost priceless to us in that regard and you’d like to think the board realise that and put a realistic value on his head.

We are a selling club end of the day, who isn’t, but in his case we have to play hardball.

For me, Strain is as valuable as it was keeping Lewis Morgan beyond the summer transfer window and fortunately getting him back in on loan for the rest of the season when he moved to Celtic.

I don't think he would sign an extension with us, though if there was any glimmer of hope of extending his contract with a wage increase and having a gentlemen's agreement he can be sold for 'X' amount next summer, that would be the perfect scenario. 
I do however think it's a flip between him going before this window closes or in the next window.

47 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Thing is - and I hate to be the voice of crushing realism here - but £350k plus two players would probably do it. Not Halliday and Forrest, obviously. But it'd be close.

Sorry.

Whilst true, Hearts don't have any dispensable squad players currently that I would look at and think they'd improve us or fit our system so it should be a complete non starter.

I'd much rather bank double that and spend half the money bringing in two players we want, rather than two players deemed surplus that a team are desperate to shed as a make-weight.

Just like Carson, we should have a single red line in any discussions: "no rival teams".

I accept Strain will move on, and unless we somehow qualify for Europe, I do not see him staying round for another season. No ill will about that, he's a good player and should look to make the most of what can be a short career.

Again, bottom line... "no rival teams".

To be honest I can't believe an offer hasn't arrived for Strain yet. 

He does tend to get a lot of small injuries forcing him off during games. I wonder if this holds suiters back a bit. 

On his game he is the best we have had in his position. 

I hope he stays but until the 1st of September it will be a nervous time

Strain won’t stay in Scotland unless the likes of Celtic come in for him, i believe the club won’t be letting him go cheap at all, you can triple the offer we were getting offered for Baccus.

No chance we are accepting the likes of Halliday plus cash from hearts, Halliday is done plus an absolute tosser to go with it. 

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

That wasn't far off what Hibs were offering us a couple of summer transfer windows ago for McGrath and we accepted it only for it to fall through.

Yeah, that was where my head was at. Was it not Drey Wright + someone else? We had accepted it to the point we brought in Kiltie as a replacement.

2 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yeah, that was where my head was at. Was it not Drey Wright + someone else? We had accepted it to the point we brought in Kiltie as a replacement.

Yeah it was Drey Wright and Scott Allan.

3 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Aye him and Scott Allan, currently rarely getting a game for Arbroath. 

1 hour ago, McG said:

Strain won’t stay in Scotland unless the likes of Celtic come in for him, i believe the club won’t be letting him go cheap at all, you can triple the offer we were getting offered for Baccus.

There's also the likelihood that Maccabi Haifa have a sell on percentage due to them.

Not sure how well stocked they are at RWB, but Ipswich would be a shout, for two reasons that I have plucked out the air:

1) Strain's grandfather scored even more goals for them than he did for us.

2) They are in possession of a certain wall-shaped asset that might be a decent makeweight if required.

1 minute ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not sure how well stocked they are at RWB, but Ipswich would be a shout, for two reasons that I have plucked out the air:

1) Strain's grandfather scored even more goals for them than he did for us.

2) They are in possession of a certain wall-shaped asset that might be a decent makeweight if required.

It's the thought of Halliday in the stripes that worries me.