The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

2 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

You could have a conversation about whether deadline day loan signing Charlie Adam was the difference between us being promoted, or not, in 2005/06. It was far from a one man band, but he was a massive contributor.

Charlie Adam & John Sutton combined were the diffence

We wouldn’t have won the league without them 

1 hour ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Charlie Adam & John Sutton combined were the diffence

We wouldn’t have won the league without them 

Both signed in the hours before the Challenge Cup game at Palmerston on deadline day. I was sitting in the Dumfries KFC car park when the signing news came on the radio and I nearly soiled myself. Adam had played against us in a pre-season game a few weeks earlier and was outstanding, pinging the ball all over the place.

3 hours ago, Dirty Sanchez said:

You could have a conversation about whether deadline day loan signing Charlie Adam was the difference between us being promoted, or not, in 2005/06. It was far from a one man band, but he was a massive contributor.

In all senses of the word

15 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Without doubt, all three were very good. I think we have been fortunate to have had them all. I personally think Carson had the edge. Ultimately, it's a matter of opinion, unless somebody can make a case based on statistics? However, regardless of how good he was, we definitely did the right think in getting shot of him. I think most of us can agree on that (though I do see the point made by some, that selling him to another Premiership team strengthens our rivals). 

Aye, he has to be booed. He has to be! I cannot think of anywhere it's more socially acceptable to boo someone than at the fitba; maybe a pantomime? If it was a pantomime, he'd play the ultimate villain. What he has done is wrong on so many levels and I would be very disappointed with our fans if we don't let him know exactly what we think of him. I don't think it's childish and I do think it would be effective if enough people were to do it.

One final point - I think it would be nice if Shaugnessy received a warm reception, on its own merit. He has served the club and despite being left out of the team by Robbo he didn't act petulantly and stepped up when called to do so. However, by contrast, it will make Carson's reception even more emphatic. I wonder if the Northbank could create a banner - thanking Joe for his service and lambasting Carson? Some may well think that's taking things too far, but I think if we can agitate him it would give us a good sporting advantage and potentially dent his confidence for the season. I do wonder if he will actually play, given all that's gone on, that they have three other 'keepers (?) and the fact he's not had a game yet this season? Would they dare to leave him on the bench? I suppose we will see if features against Motherwell tomorrow.

As I see it, this is a God-given opportunity! 😇

Well I shant get into a boxing match with you over the best goalie, (Hladky by a country mile)  because as you say short of stats it's all about individual opinion for sure, however, as for ALL the rest of your post, I concur wholeheartedly, excellent suggestions, Joe Shaughnessy was a firm favourite of mine also, indeed my thoughts on the dignified manner he displayed consistently at the club,  probably mirror your own and it would be a super show of fan appreciation if something along the lines you suggest were to transpire. I hope it does. ps; I thought Tate also conducted himself superbly while at our club, many younger players perhaps might take note of this, to me humility is almost as good as ability, not quite but I am sure you take my point.

Excited for tomorrow. Couple of pre match boosts for us with Hibs almost certainly having to start with the rookie keeper whilst the new Dutch striker doesn’t have his work permit yet.

Boyle also might not start since Johnson said he went against his medical team orders to start him on Thursday.

Robbo says we are going to go and be aggressive and think that is spot on.

Hibs have plenty good players but so do we!

We can definitely match them tomorrow and hopefully with a wee bit luck we can get off to a winning start.

10 minutes ago, Div said:

Excited for tomorrow. Couple of pre match boosts for us with Hibs almost certainly having to start with the rookie keeper whilst the new Dutch striker doesn’t have his work permit yet.

Boyle also might not start since Johnson said he went against his medical team orders to start him on Thursday.

Robbo says we are going to go and be aggressive and think that is spot on.

Hibs have plenty good players but so do we!

We can definitely match them tomorrow and hopefully with a wee bit luck we can get off to a winning start.

You do know our manager has never won an opening league  game anywhere in his managerial career.