The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

Just now, elvis said:

You do know our manager has never won an opening league  game anywhere in his managerial career. 

What a fucking pointless stat that is, no pun intended 😂

9 minutes ago, elvis said:

And it will still be a fucking POINTLESS stat tomorrow at 5pm.

I think you’d be more at home over on the Black & White army, with all the other hysterical merchants of doom, who spend all of their sad existence with the constant barrage of negative criticism towards the players/ management/staff/ directors/SMISA/Kibble in no particular order.

Why do you bother.

34 minutes ago, elvis said:

And it will still be a fucking POINTLESS stat tomorrow at 5pm.

Perhaps it will, perhaps it won’t.

To actually WANT your own team to lose is utterly pathetic though, it really is.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

You do know our manager has never won an opening league  game anywhere in his managerial career. 

What a bundle of laughs you are :lol: Supporting a team like St Mirren means you only get the odd joyous occasion, and every win is celebrated by the fans because the majority of them know that it doesn’t take much for our fortunes to change. I’m pretty certain you are a genuine St Mirren supporter, but I can’t quite get my head around why it is that almost every single post you make on this forum is a negative one towards the team you ‘support’. Last week you had us getting beat off Forfar, but were notable by your absence after we had stuck 4 past them and landed a home tie in the draw.

This can’t be far off St Mirrens longest and most successful run in the Premier division for at least 40 years, so it seems a bit odd that you still continue to find the negatives in almost every single thing related to the club. 

24 minutes ago, IrishBhoy said:

What a bundle of laughs you are :lol: Supporting a team like St Mirren means you only get the odd joyous occasion, and every win is celebrated by the fans because the majority of them know that it doesn’t take much for our fortunes to change. I’m pretty certain you are a genuine St Mirren supporter, but I can’t quite get my head around why it is that almost every single post you make on this forum is a negative one towards the team you ‘support’. Last week you had us getting beat off Forfar, but were notable by your absence after we had stuck 4 past them and landed a home tie in the draw.

This can’t be far off St Mirrens longest and most successful run in the Premier division for at least 40 years, so it seems a bit odd that you still continue to find the negatives in almost every single thing related to the club. 

Because 'Something something about supporting them so long I expect defeat and every win is a bonus blablablah' as if he's the only c**t in our support who has followed the team through rough times.

Some people's coping mechanism is essentially: prepare yourself mentally for the worst and then anything better than that will be a positive. Others seemingly enjoy wallowing in doom and gloom, sort of masochism of the mind. 

I think Hibs are there for the taking, given their performance in Andorra. However, our away form doesn't fill me with much confidence. Win, lose or draw, this result will have minimal impact on our season. We lost to Motherwell at home, this time last year, and went on to have our best finish for 30+ years. 

8 hours ago, Div said:

Perhaps it will, perhaps it won’t.

To actually WANT your own team to lose is utterly pathetic though, it really is.

Where do I say I want them to lose.Expecting them to lose and wanting them to is two different things and if you think i want them to lose your nuts.

7 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Because 'Something something about supporting them so long I expect defeat and every win is a bonus blablablah' as if he's the only c**t in our support who has followed the team through rough times.

Was he not a gloryhunting Celtic fan growing up? 
Can they take him back? Please?

24 minutes ago, Buttocks Brown said:

Good news that Charles Dunne's recovery has progressed quicker than anticipated. Might be in the team today.

It is good news. I’d have him on the bench though, Taylor deserves a starting shirt IMO.

15 minutes ago, elvis said:

Where do I say I want them to lose.Expecting them to lose and wanting them to is two different things and if you think i want them to lose your nuts.

Feels very much like you want us to lose just so can prove some sort of point to everyone.

Each to their own but genuinely if football made me as miserable as it seems to make you then I’d find another hobby.

Doesn't make me miserable but I'm not dumd enough to think we are going to win every game we play like some folk on here I give an honest opinion like the one above if it upsets the happy clappers to bad if I get proved wrong then fantastic it means we have got a result and like all fans I will be absolutely delighted. 

Hib are definitely "gettable", while the aggregate score from the Andorran double header looks pretty convincing, anyone watching it would see that the Hibs defence were not all that great - especially the first game. The flip side to this is that we were also dreadful in some of our LC games, and this is an away game.

The Rangers result will probably have both managers highlighting it for psychological reasons, such as "you can't just go into the game expecting to win" and the like. So I doubt either team will be caught cold with the start of the league.

All in all, if we win 3-0 we're top of the league, if we lose 0-3 we are bottom of the league. I have no idea how this game turns out, could be either (or neither) of those scores.

1 hour ago, elvis said:

Doesn't make me miserable but I'm not dumd enough to think we are going to win every game we play like some folk on here I give an honest opinion like the one above if it upsets the happy clappers to bad if I get proved wrong then fantastic it means we have got a result and like all fans I will be absolutely delighted. 

My issue with you is simple.

Your stance that we'll lose is only a small part of the problem. I go into most games, most seasons, expecting the worst. I think it's in nature of nearly all St. Mirren supporters to do so. We have a podcast called 'Misery Hunters' for fucks sake!

My real problem with you and you've displayed it again in this post, is that in believing we'll be shite, you also take great pleasure in putting yourself above other St. Mirren supporters. You'll obviously deny that's the case but your body of work is there for all to see. It's not enough to think we'll not get a result, if and when things go wrong you'll revel in it (all those famous 'lol' posts when we concede and doomsdaying that a half time lead is sure to slip) and you'll inevitably end calling folk stupid for having a bit of belief, hope and a bit of optimism in the team.

It's a win-win for you, if we're good and win, you can disappear and claim through gritted teeth to be happy, if we lose you can come on here and yuk it up, safe in the knowledge that we were pish but that doesn't really matter as you were right, which does really matter. You go out your way to stick yourself on this pedestal on your own that we're shite, you're the only one who can see and understand that we're shite and every other St. Mirren supporter is a fucking halfwit for daring to hope otherwise.

I await you telling me in a poorly spelt and punctuated reply that I'm talking shite and to find posts of this nature but I'm not going to do that. Anyone who has had to talk to you on here over the years knows that I'm telling the truth.

Edited by djchapsticks

There was no debut, however, for recent signing Trevor Carson. Jon McCracken kept goal with Adam Legzdins taking a place on the bench. St Mirren next weekend is the target for the Northern Ireland international.

Docherty said: “Trevor hasn’t done much of pre-season so we just thought we’d get more training into him. He trained today and rather than sit on the bench he got some training in but should be ready for next week.”

Trev might be a bit rusty going into his debut against us.....

His last game was 3 months ago and, given Docherty's quote above, have to assume he wasn't part of the preseason GK training led by Jamie Langfield. 

Edited by Buttocks Brown