The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

The fact that St Mirren are a selling club is probably a major factor in attracting ambitious players like Strain and Baccus to agree to sign for us in the first place. This is what makes it a WIN /WIN for the players and for the club. We provide a platform for them to do the business for us on the park which they hope will catch the eye of a bigger fish. Then we get the additional bonus of a nice big transfer fee plus sell-ons .........

😀

17 hours ago, Captain_Sensible said:

A. Why not play Aberdeen’s European game on a Weds - you know, just like they used to do for decades

B. Okay, whoever in charge doesn’t care less about domestic paying customers and arranges the Euro games for a Thurs night for no good reason - fine - but that’s playing in Europe for you. The domestic games shouldn’t be moved - and I’d be saying this even if it were us playing in Europe

C. Or, as you point out they already knew Aberdeen were going to play on the Thurs, then they should have switched the fixture round so the game was at Pittodrie on the Sunday and we get the game on the Saturday. Why are St Mirren season ticket holders getting mucked about for this? 

D. These are elite fecking athletes getting paid thousands per week. They should be more then capable of playing 2 games in 3 days! 

That’s my rant on the subject over 😜😆

Wait until next season when the group stages are replaced by "leagues" with each team playing a min 8 games stretching from the prelims in summer into January.  

32 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Wait until next season when the group stages are replaced by "leagues" with each team playing a min 8 games stretching from the prelims in summer into January.  

In terms of the SPL, that's brilliant. The more European fixtures, the more points they will likely drop domestically.

9 hours ago, Div said:

Tell you what folks, I’ve never seen such a forensic examination of a goal we lost in a game we won as I’ve seen here 😂

Which is weird as it's pretty much cut and dried. It was a great breakaway by Hibs and we were caught flat. 3 defenders failed to stop one pass and the keeper could have done better. I don't think anyone disagrees with it. In fact, that was effectively your own take on it. The 2nd goal is the more concerning, certainly no fault of Hemming with that one.

Unrelated to that, and in regard to the moving of fixtures. I, in general, don't mind them. Yes, it can hit ticket sales and affect travel plans and the like, but it's just part of the game. I do, however, draw a line with clubs like the OF, who could effectively field 3 different teams due to their strength in depth. A "provincial club" in European club competition? Sure, give them the extra day, it's an inconvenience for us, if the situation is reversed it'd happen for us.

Edited by Ric

11 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

You need to wake up to reality mate but I understand your dreams . 

No need to wake up mate, I know Ryan Strain isn’t signing for that likes of Aberdeen or Hearts. He’s already told the club his intentions and he won’t be staying in Scotland unless the likes of Celtic come in.

Also don’t believe everything you hear or read as we are far from skint etc, believe me.

13 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Does it look like he's away?

Probably a degree of inevitability around that, sadly.  That said, who would grudge the guy a shot at a bigger club with considerably more money coming his way?  He is a level or two above where he is just now

Main thing is we can arrange some form of replacement. Won't be like for like, as we got lucky with Strain.  A last day of the window departure would be an even bigger kick in the stones if it left us with no time to  ring anyone in.

34 minutes ago, Drooper said:

Probably a degree of inevitability around that, sadly.  That said, who would grudge the guy a shot at a bigger club with considerably more money coming his way?  He is a level or two above where he is just now

Main thing is we can arrange some form of replacement. Won't be like for like, as we got lucky with Strain.  A last day of the window departure would be an even bigger kick in the stones if it left us with no time to  ring anyone in.

That's the thing... August is ticking along now. If Strain has, as McG says, been straight with the club then at least we're being given fair warning to make other plans. 

52 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

That's the thing... August is ticking along now. If Strain has, as McG says, been straight with the club then at least we're being given fair warning to make other plans. 

It seems the way that Robinson and Foyle work is to have list of potential replacements for every position in the squad.

I'm certain, with respect to Baccus and Strain, that there will be several options already identified to pursue for each of their positions.

The making of a good manager is someone who plans ahead. Robbo appears to be just that. If strain or anyone leaves I expect the club will have irons in the fire. 

I would love us to actually get decent money for a player. We need to build up the club to the point we can compete in the market with the likes of Hibs etc. 

And of course we are a selling club. Every team in Scotland is a selling club. 

Some teams are just better than others at selling. 

32 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Some teams are just better than others at selling. 

Agree but sometimes it's just the way it is.

When you are bringing in the likes of Baccus or Strain they aren't the sort of players that are going to commit to contracts longer than a couple of years. They are joining us with the express intention of using it as a platform for a move to England and the riches available there, even in the 3rd or 4th tiers.

Nothing we can really do about that. Baccus was clearly a bit of a punt but we beat off other Premiership competition to get him.

Strain lost his way a bit in Israel but he's obviously wanting a crack at it down South and he's used us to hopefully get there.

Getting O'Hara to sign an extended deal really was an incredible bit of business given how he has performed for us since joining. If he continues to play that way then there is every chance we may yet get our first full seven figure sale, but he's obviously been to England before and didn't massively perform so that might put potential suitors off.

As for Baccus and Strain, as fans we will always put ridiculous valuations on them but the board will always take the view of the cost of them leaving next Summer for nowt versus getting a few hundred grand in now and hopefully bringing in a good replacement who can start the cycle all over again.

Our recruitment has been one of the absolute stand outs of the Robinson era to date, if we keep doing it consistently we should start seeing the rewards both on the park and with the bank balance.

6 hours ago, Wilbur said:

The fact that St Mirren are a selling club is probably a major factor in attracting ambitious players like Strain and Baccus to agree to sign for us in the first place. This is what makes it a WIN /WIN for the players and for the club. We provide a platform for them to do the business for us on the park which they hope will catch the eye of a bigger fish. Then we get the additional bonus of a nice big transfer fee plus sell-ons .........

😀

Totally agree , the agents for Strain and Baccus will push their players in St Mirrens direction if they know the club will look after them , give  them first team football and allow them the opportunity to move on if a suitable offer is received. 

IMG_3511.thumb.jpeg.e68dda28eaf7bb4cecd379890a1b6a7d.jpegThe first ever SMiSA legends Q&A night takes place at the SMiSA Stadium Hospitality Suite on Tuesday 19th September at 7pm.

We are delighted to announce that Tony Fitzpatrick and Danny Lennon have agreed to go under the spotlight and be asked anything to do with their time playing for or managing St. Mirren. 
IMG_3512.thumb.jpeg.48e6f16fe3c44df22383bea169a0894a.jpeg

IMG_3511.jpeg

3 hours ago, FTOF said:

It seems the way that Robinson and Foyle work is to have list of potential replacements for every position in the squad.

I'm certain, with respect to Baccus and Strain, that there will be several options already identified to pursue for each of their positions.

Think all teams will have lists of potential signings but as we can see with the LWB and striker it doesn't always happen quickly.

The Bolton one was exceptional.

Anyway best to be a good signing rather than a quick one

24 minutes ago, medals said:

Think all teams will have lists of potential signings but as we can see with the LWB and striker it doesn't always happen quickly.

The Bolton one was exceptional.

Anyway best to be a good signing rather than a quick one

Probably.

However, I get the feeling that we've improved significantly in this respect since Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle arrived at the club and we are better prepared than some of our competitors.

47 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Probably.

However, I get the feeling that we've improved significantly in this respect since Robinson, O'Carroll and Foyle arrived at the club and we are better prepared than some of our competitors.

Yes I'd agree with that. The recruits we have opted for have all been good to be fair, even those like Toyosi, who was originally been labelled a dud.

That's a huge improvement. And so long as we keep managing some player sales, it helps us going forwards too.