The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

I have confidence in Hemming and think he looks good.

The issue I have is that Urminsky doesn’t appear to be genuine competition. TBH, I haven’t seen enough of Urminsky to really know if he’s any good but the fact that he got virtually no game time in pre season suggests to me that SR doesn’t see him as genuine competition either.

I suppose this was the situation last season as well though. 

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I have confidence in Hemming and think he looks good.

The issue I have is that Urminsky doesn’t appear to be genuine competition. TBH, I haven’t seen enough of Urminsky to really know if he’s any good but the fact that he got virtually no game time in pre season suggests to me that SR doesn’t see him as genuine competition either.

I suppose this was the situation last season as well though. 

Having seen Urminsky in a few of the B team games, he always impressed me. I think the boy needs games and a regular starting spot to get his confidence back up. 

He would benefit from another loan move for me.

Edited by glenburn bud

22 minutes ago, smellthepaw said:

I've no doubt, at least the top 5 teams in the league and possibly Dundee would sell out the away allocation if we upped the capacity. The issue we have is the cost it would take to fill in one of the corners short term. I'm take a stab in the dark here, though I couldn't see a corner making more than 300-500 extra seats available with current layout.

Good comedy but The Fringe finished yesterday.

Their recent visit was 700 below the current capacity of the North Stand so there's no chance of them filling an increased allocation. 

2 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Having seen Urminsky in a few of the B team games, he always impressed me. I think the boy needs games and a regular starting spot to get his confidence back up. 

He would benefit from another loan move for me.

I’m sure he would benefit from a loan move but then we’d need to sign someone to replace him. 

The management obviously have confidence in both keepers though so let’s hope they are right. 

I’m not sure whether I ever remember us having a reserve keeper who was genuine quality since Campbell Money though?

Was Howard still here when we signed Gallacher? I actually preferred Howard! 

4 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’m not sure whether I ever remember us having a reserve keeper who was genuine quality since Campbell Money though?

Think he was. When he left we brought in Samson who - despite what other team's fans say - was very good. He was initially second choice to Gallacher but was a better keeper for us.

14 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

I’m sure he would benefit from a loan move but then we’d need to sign someone to replace him. 

The management obviously have confidence in both keepers though so let’s hope they are right. 

Never rated Gallacher he should have saved that Kenny Miller header in that infamous cup final. 

Howard was a far better keeper.

10 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Think he was. When he left we brought in Samson who - despite what other team's fans say - was very good. He was initially second choice to Gallacher but was a better keeper for us.

Sammy had great reflexes and was quite brave. He seemed to have more difficulty with low shots from outside the box than anything else for whatever reason.

21 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

The issue I have is that Urminsky doesn’t appear to be genuine competition. TBH, I haven’t seen enough of Urminsky to really know if he’s any good but the fact that he got virtually no game time in pre season suggests to me that SR doesn’t see him as genuine competition 

I don't think your conclusion is right.

I suspect SR wanted to get Hemming fully bedded in, sending him the message that he is No.1 to help assure him - given his loss of confidence at Killie.

It's helped him and the defence get to know each other better.

Other that Sundays mistake and a penalty in the cup it's been a solid performance. 

The fact that Peter is here and not on loan suggests he is considered a serious alternative.

3 minutes ago, medals said:

I don't think your conclusion is right.

I suspect SR wanted to get Hemming fully bedded in, sending him the message that he is No.1 to help assure him - given his loss of confidence at Killie.

It's helped him and the defence get to know each other better.

Other that Sundays mistake and a penalty in the cup it's been a solid performance. 

The fact that Peter is here and not on loan suggests he is considered a serious alternative.

My view is that a lot of the negativity surrounding Urminsky stems from one end of season game where, yes, he might have got down a bit better to one of the shots in particular but his defence was in Holiday Mode and let Rangers skip through almost at will. Hung him out to dry, I believe. 

1 hour ago, AW saint said:

The Goal was as much Tansers fault as it was Hemming. Tanser ran towards Zach and they left it to each other. If Tanser doesnt make his move then it's an easy catch. 

Hemming is our number one and I don't see him being replaced. 

While I mostly agree with this and feel Hemming has a lot of our fans on his back for no real reason, I always believe in that situation the keeper should be clearing out the defender and claiming the ball.

Think it's a bit of a mad take to suggest Tanser was in any way at fault for it. He's following the ball in to protect from any potential attacker, shielding it for the keeper to collect.

Even as a mere spectator, I know there is a 0% chance he was ever even attempting getting his leg to a ball dropping into that area with that sort of angle on it as the only two places it would have gone would have been for a corner or an own goal and Hemming should have known that. If he did clear it, folk would have wondered what the f**k he was thinking.

Keeper needs to be braver and read that situation better. It's an absolute howler from him and hopefully one he'll learn from.

1 hour ago, smellthepaw said:

I've no doubt, at least the top 5 teams in the league and possibly Dundee would sell out the away allocation if we upped the capacity. The issue we have is the cost it would take to fill in one of the corners short term. I'm take a stab in the dark here, though I couldn't see a corner making more than 300-500 extra seats available with current layout.

Not a chance Dundee would. They were 600 seats short in their first away game back up on a Saturday afternoon only two weeks ago. 1100 away fans is a good effort but they are never bringing more than that.

Top 5, Killie and Motherwell would all have a stab at filling it. Motherwell brought nearly 1400 to the cup game and always travel to us in big numbers.

Outside of that Partick, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd and Morton would all make a fair fist of it.

Edited by djchapsticks

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Not a chance Dundee would. They were 600 seats short in their first away game back up on a Saturday afternoon only two weeks ago. 1100 away fans is a good effort but they are never bringing more than that.

Top 5, Killie and Motherwell would all have a stab at filling it. Motherwell brought nearly 1400 to the cup game and always travel to us in big numbers.

Outside of that Partick, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd and Morton would all make a fair fist of it.

Falkirk have a good core support who would travel in good numbers to an away cup game at our midden too. Ayr United too. Wouldn’t fill it maybe, but would trump County and Livvy combined.

Livi and Ross County are here on merit so fair play to them.

I’ve never understood why fans of other teams get so upset at teams with smaller supports. The last thing I care about when I go to a game is how many fans the opposition have brought but maybe that’s just me. 

Just now, SS77 said:

I’ve never understood why fans of other teams get so upset at teams with smaller supports. The last thing I care about when I go to a game is how many fans the opposition have brought but maybe that’s just me. 

Personally I could give two hoots but I sort of understand in a way - fans want that "big game feel" and I think a large and noisy away support can contribute to that.

Dingwall is such a small place, it has to be remembered. If they filled it, it would mean about 30% of the population of their entire town was there or something. For comparison, the equivalent for us would be taking 23,000 to away games!

3 minutes ago, SS77 said:

2 main reasons I’m “upset”

1. I’d rather have a day out up to Maryhill than travelling up to Dingwall

and

2. Partick’s travelling support would boost our coffers in comparison to Ross Co

3 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

2 main reasons I’m “upset”

1. I’d rather have a day out up to Maryhill than travelling up to Dingwall

and

2. Partick’s travelling support would boost our coffers in comparison to Ross Co

I hear you on 1.

I also understand on 2 but, at the same time, Partick's away support would likely boost the coffers of most other teams in the league comparatively as well (central belt teams, at the very least) so the benefit may be marginal at least vis-a-vis our domestic competitors.

Edited by Eddie Hitler

15 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Personally I could give two hoots but I sort of understand in a way - fans want that "big game feel" and I think a large and noisy away support can contribute to that.

Dingwall is such a small place, it has to be remembered. If they filled it, it would mean about 30% of the population of their entire town was there or something. For comparison, the equivalent for us would be taking 23,000 to away games!

You could fit the whole town of Dingwall in Victoria Park, or whatever it's called this season, and still have a fair few seats to spare.

There's a lot of other small towns round about though, like Alness, Tain, Fortrose. Think historically they've been seen as a team for all of Ross-shire.

I like a trip to Dingwall and I think it's good that the Highlands have some representation in the top leagues. Hopefully more highland youngsters start following Ross County and Inverness.

Edited by houston_bud

Just now, houston_bud said:

You could fit the whole town of Dingwall in Victoria Park, or whatever it's called this season, and still have a fair few seats to spare.

There's a lot of other small towns round about though, like Alness, Tain, Fortrose. Think historically they've been seen as a town for all of Ross-shire.

I like a trip to Dingwall and I think it's good that the Highlands have some representation in the top leagues. Hopefully more highland youngsters start following Ross County and Inverness.

Yes, while I was typing out the comment I was aware I was being a bit reductive but was just making the point they aren't the same numbers of people to draw upon. Even the other places you mention are quite small.

By same token, we well know that not everyone in Paisley support us  :(

2 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

By same token, we well know that not everyone in Paisley support us  :(

Absolutely. Just makes me a bit sad to see all the buses going from cities, towns and villages across Scotland to Ibrox and Parkhead when there are good clubs on their doorsteps.