The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

18 hours ago, ZingaliMan said:

Not surprised Hibs are interested. Yes money talks. I think there is more to Robinson than many imagine. I believe Robinson it's a project. It's a project that is working. To grow attendances with success on the pitch is brilliant. I think Robinson will stay with Saints he is a smart cookie. He has built a good team, a team that could win a cup. Get into Europe by league position I think is possible. Robinson will stay. 

Some amount of nonsense  being spouted in here. Robinson is the reason we are we’re we are. The things that he’s put in place to be successful would also be lost. Martin Foyle? Diarmund O Carroll this is not good for us not at all. Folk also saying I’d be happy to lose Bacchus! Really you’ll happily trade the chance to do something special so easily. I’ve been watching and supporting since 1987 and this team I think could be the best I’ve ever seen. Losing Bacchus this late would be a shambles and for what 275k . Peanuts 

Edited by Norrie82

3 minutes ago, medals said:

Maybe i cannot tell you!

Though common sense might steer you there - we paid 6 figures to get him and he's the highest paid manager for us ever. Wasn't JG nearly on about that much? Further he recently signed an upgraded contract.

Do you doubt it?

I’d agree Robinson will be well into sox figures - Lennon was on more than 75 k

16 minutes ago, Vambo5 said:

Sky reporting that Arnold has pulled out of the running for the Hibbles job., so looking closer to home

Id guess that McInnes is the favourite. He's beaten both uglies and assembled a far better squad than last season. Proven track record with the Dons for many seasons etc.

2 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

Some amount of nonsense  being spouted in here. Robinson is the reason we are we’re we are. The things that he’s put in place to be successful would also be lost. Martin Foyle? Diarmund O Carroll this is not good for us not at all. Folk also saying I’d be happy to lose Bacchus! Really you’ll happily trade the chance to do something special so easily. I’ve been watching and supporting since 1987 and this team I think could be the best I’ve ever seen. Losing Bacchus this late would be a shambles and for what 275k . Peanuts 

Agreed, Norrie. It's for the board to be all scared and snap at guaranteed money. It's for the fans to dream big, want to keep good players, and hope to finish up the table and gain more prize money in doing so. I don't really go in for this fad of fans playing at being "realistic businessmen".

5 minutes ago, Vambo5 said:

No, not at all.

If, however, we play them both in the current 3-4-3 which seems to be working very well for us, where does Goga fit in (if he's not one of the back 3)

I don't think we will have fixed guys in fixed positions every week, not least due to injuries and suspensions. 

3 minutes ago, medals said:

I don't know if he is. I was asking the question though.

Of course it depends on an offer being accepted. 

Robinson has clearly said the offers tabled weren't good enough. So Aberdeen will now have their price and it's up to them whether to meet it. That's all there is to it, we're under no pressure to sell whatsoever and he'll go if the price we've deemed acceptable is met.

I'd imagine with every passing hour, the asking price is going to go up bit by bit given how increasingly unlikely we are to replace him in the window.

32 minutes ago, medals said:

If Baccus is travelling up to Aberdeen today, there's a high chance someone is travelling to us also.

But, we could cope with O'Hara due back, andcthere is also the free agent option in emergencies.

Where are you getting Baccus travelling up to Aberdeen from. That stage would only be reached if the clubs had agreed on a fee. As it stands Robbo say that hasn't happened and he doesn't expect anyone to meet our valuation. 

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Where are you getting Baccus travelling up to Aberdeen from. That stage would only be reached if the clubs had agreed on a fee. As it stands Robbo say that hasn't happened and he doesn't expect anyone to meet our valuation. 

My post starts with "If".

Also JR spoke early this morning.  A lot can change over several hours on deadline day.

No doubt the Dons have the money or that Baccus is not too expensive. 

27 minutes ago, medals said:

Maybe i cannot tell you!

Though common sense might steer you there - we paid 6 figures to get him and he's the highest paid manager for us ever. Wasn't JG nearly on about that much? Further he recently signed an upgraded contract.

Do you doubt it?

Yes .

35 minutes ago, Norrie82 said:

I wouldn't be that worried with losing Baccus. Players come and go, and we know he's offski at the end of the season anyway. Robinson is more difficult to replace. 

Even for a club like Hibs, paying a fee to St Mirren plus the wages for SR and DOC on top of the wages / pay off for Johnson, will be a lot.

Maybe they’ll wait and see how things go with David Gray? He’s a Hibee hero and would be the cheap option.

Lets hope Hibs get a couple of good results 

The fickle nature of being a Scottish football fan - normally we are looking to the closing of the window in hope we bring players in, this time we're hoping it closes with no players or managers going out.

Can't really argue if we have agreed a release clause, but it would be disappointing (to say the least) should we lose who we are worried about losing... 😟

8 minutes ago, Captain_Sensible said:

Even for a club like Hibs, paying a fee to St Mirren plus the wages for SR and DOC on top of the wages / pay off for Johnson, will be a lot.

Maybe they’ll wait and see how things go with David Gray? He’s a Hibee hero and would be the cheap option.

Lets hope Hibs get a couple of good results 

It's not like a transfer deadline for managers anyway. 

No doubt Gray is in charge for now. Unless their results are awful, they can take their time.

1 minute ago, medals said:

It's not like a transfer deadline for managers anyway.

..and I feel there should be.

I think the window is a good thing, it has flaws but I dislike having richer clubs being able to buy their way out of trouble at any time. For me, the manager should also be included in that.

Fcuk losing our manager to a club we are about to face in a cup quarter final. Fcuk losing our manager to a direct rival, who, come the next transfer window, will be (today’s phrase) ‘flashing his skants’ at several St Mirren players with a view to signing them at his hapless Hibs. Finally, IF we lost our manager to Hibs, fcuk wishing him all the best. Would wish him nothing but abject failure and to completely ‘do a Goodwin’.

End of. IMHO. If he went to a Birmingham City, Swansea City, or someone because he was attracting the right kind of attention? All the best.

I’m frankly sick of the notion that the moment Hibs flash anything in St Mirren’s direction, anyone would walk over broken glass across the M8 corridor to join the behemoth that is bottom-of-the-league Hibernian.

It’s Friday, I need a beer. Time to go get one.