The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

We can't and won't win every game, and as the Motherwell fans said, it's only the diddy cup anyway 😉.

I was watching the Newcastle documentary on Amazon and saw their build up to the Carabao Cup final and thought........... they need to speak to some Motherwell fans 😀

2 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Be glad and hope when Ayunga returned, he is as good as he was before his injury.

I just can't see any real ability from Mandron or Olusanya up front, and the lack of goals between them in the league does worry me. 

Please prove me wrong next week guys.

But yet we're 2nd in the league after 7 games 🙈🤣🤣

2 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Be glad and hope when Ayunga returned, he is as good as he was before his injury.

I just can't see any real ability from Mandron or Olusanya up front, and the lack of goals between them in the league does worry me. 

Our main goal threats are Tanser and Strain, who needs goal scoring strikers these days.

Tanser alone has been involved in four of our last five goals. Scored the winner at Motherwell, set up Strain for the winner against Hearts, scored against Hibs midweek and set up the OG today. 

48 minutes ago, Lex said:

Our main goal threats are Tanser and Strain, who needs goal scoring strikers these days.

Tanser alone has been involved in four of our last five goals. Scored the winner at Motherwell, set up Strain for the winner against Hearts, scored against Hibs midweek and set up the OG today. 

So we can expect Tanser and Strain to be among our top scorers at the end of the season  😜

Both Mandron and Olusanya were poor but they've had good starts to the season. Mandron had a perfectly good goal chalked off last week, and it was a brilliant finish.

Yesterday the ball spent so much time in the air that it was hard for the forwards to get a foothold in the game.

Edited by houston_bud

5 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Think Greive should have been on earlier... games like that would have suited him.

Yes a top staring Ayunga is better than the rest of our strikers, but they are all contributing to the team performances.

6 hours ago, tam the bud said:

I'm quite happy with Mandron , he holds the ball up well and adds height when we're defending set-pieces . He slipped Tanser in for his cross/own goal yesterday !

2 hours ago, DumbartonBud said:

When was the last time a st Mirren player scored against Killie in the league?

This game I think. Collin Quaner 😆 I forgot he even existed. 

The line up shows what a stalwart Marcus Fraser has been for us. In times where players last a season or two - at best - with a club, he's still here and must be one of the first names on the team sheet every week.

Screenshot_20231001_094454_BBC Sport.jpg

Screenshot_20231001_094601_BBC Sport.jpg

9 hours ago, tam the bud said:

Yes, but do we really want to depend of our full back scoring goals every week ?

Roberto Carlos allegedly has a Scotty Tanser tattoo on his left leg.

He is considering a Ryan Strain one on his right leg but is waiting on Ryan scoring a similar free kick against a team in blue next Sunday:

8 hours ago, billyg said:

I'm quite happy with Mandron , he holds the ball up well and adds height when we're defending set-pieces . He slipped Tanser in for his cross/own goal yesterday !

He also headed the ball down for Tanser's goal v Hibs.

Made the run and pass for Greive's goal v Aberdeen.

His link up play is really good.

I also don't remember him passing up too many goal scoring chances, when he's had them.

Create more chances for him and he'll score them.

When I read the news about Frank McDougall, it occurred to me that he would be in my top 5 players I ever seen in the stripes. 
That got me thinking, who would the other 4 be, I’ve been watching since the early seventies and the first names that came to me were McGarvey and McAvennie.

Hang on, I thought, 3 of my top 5 are Frankie Macs and all of them strikers.

There it is, bizarre but true.

My other 2 would be Peter Weir and Iain Ferguson.