The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

I suspect most of us are feeling optimistic and excited for what is to come this season. I certainly am and I cannot stop looking at the league table. However, I also don't want to build up my expectations, only to be disappointed.

The way I'm trying to manage my expectations is to set goals. Any statisticians on here able to answer these?

- firstly, I understand we need to amass ~40 points to avoid relegation.

- how many points do we need to ensure top-six?

- how many to get top four?

- how many to get the coveted third spot, with its £5 million prize?

10 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

The way I'm trying to manage my expectations is to set goals. Any statisticians on here able to answer these?

I’m no statistician but I do know 6 out of 7 dwarves are not happy. 

In his Open Goals interview Robinson said the team aims to get 6 points from each group of 4 games. We’re well ahead of that. Skooshing it. 

9 hours ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

- firstly, I understand we need to amass ~40 points to avoid relegation.

- how many points do we need to ensure top-six?

- how many to get top four?

- how many to get the coveted third spot, with its £5 million prize?

Cant speak for the top half positions, but this is what i found for the bottom half a year or so ago.

FJPt5vRWYAkj3NE(2).png.926db5979352981ebf22c4a742fc5e29.png

~36pts keeps you safe from the bottom.

From memory 40+pts after 33 games should see you in the top half more often than not.

Things vary depending on how many whipping boys the league has and how strong Celtic/Rangers are. Think this year there'll just be one or two really weak sides, while the stronger sides will get points off Celtic/Rangers. 

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Cant speak for the top half positions, but this is what i found for the bottom half a year or so ago.

FJPt5vRWYAkj3NE(2).png.926db5979352981ebf22c4a742fc5e29.png

~36pts keeps you safe from the bottom.

From memory 40+pts after 33 games should see you in the top half more often than not.

Things vary depending on how many whipping boys the league has and how strong Celtic/Rangers are. Think this year there'll just be one or two really weak sides, while the stronger sides will get points off Celtic/Rangers. 

Much appreciated, thanks. 👍

Just got my brother a ticket for the Rangers game not many in the main stand must be seats earmarked for buy a ticket.  Can't wait Motherwell first game of the season was my last game .  When does 1877 open up for lunchtime kick off anyone remember ? Hot breakfast rolls also the perfect Sunday to beat Rangers .  Put a few bob on us at 7/1 . 

11 hours ago, Molotov said:

@RandomGuy.

Any past and current graphs to display on our free scoring goal assisting wingback Scotty Tanser?

None for this season due to lack of minutes played (750+ needed).

22/23

Spoiler

tanser1.thumb.png.f8f088a96a430d60e42dea5e4144ea3e.png

21/22

Spoiler

tanser2.thumb.png.9fea974a3ccf6fcb45a03b3af12e95ea.png

20/21

Spoiler

tanser3.thumb.png.2a668900c665366e374829c63caf4ba9.png

19/20

Spoiler

tanser4.thumb.png.7114db479eb5091c07f5a64509e04bad.png

18/19

Spoiler

tanser5.thumb.png.265a697b26cafec3ddf7d0fd88b87e5d.png

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

None for this season due to lack of minutes played (750+ needed).

22/23

Hide contents

tanser1.thumb.png.f8f088a96a430d60e42dea5e4144ea3e.png

21/22

Hide contents

tanser2.thumb.png.9fea974a3ccf6fcb45a03b3af12e95ea.png

20/21

Hide contents

tanser3.thumb.png.2a668900c665366e374829c63caf4ba9.png

19/20

Hide contents

tanser4.thumb.png.7114db479eb5091c07f5a64509e04bad.png

18/19

Hide contents

tanser5.thumb.png.265a697b26cafec3ddf7d0fd88b87e5d.png

Looks like last season when he dropped off a cliff was an exception rather than a rule then.

He did mention a week or so back about Robinson being a massive influence on him when he was both injured and going through a rough spell personally in non football related issues.  Glad he's came back so far this season with a bit of a bang.

On 24/09/2023 at 10:22, Coventry Saint said:

I don't think he did. He had put his whistle to his mouth but it looked like he was waiting to see how it panned out. 

That’s exactly what he done, and for once we seen a Scottish official using a bit of common sense and allowing the passage of play to continue. He very nearly blew his whistle but managed to catch himself in time. Unfortunately Walsh then decided he seen a foul in real time (which although still a terrible decision I understand that he only gets one look etc.), but inexplicably a different official with access to slow motion replays didn’t alert him to the monumental f**k up he made. That could have been an easy win for the refereeing team, a quite obvious case of no foul being committed and the VAR overturning an onfield decision. Back slaps all round from the fans, pundits and suits at Hampden Park alike, a job well done. But no, thats not how it goes down in Scottish football instead the incompetence of the refereeing team is laid bare for everyone to see.

£850 quid Walsh pocketed on Saturday btw, nearly half of an average persons monthly wage for a few hours work. Can’t help but feel that money could be put to better use.