The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

In the cold light of day we need to keep backing the side. Are we struggling right now? Yes we are. 

I think something is missing from our early season form. 

We lack a natural finisher and our midfield is not winning enough battles. 

Bolton needs to come into the centre of defence and push Fraser to fullback. 

Get Kiltie in the midfield along with Baccus and O'Hara 

Try Nahmani up top with Ayunga and McMenamin. 

Nahmani looks like he knows the way to goal and should get more game time. 

At this level you get inconsistent players.

If they all hit form at the same time theres a very decent chance theyll lose form at the same time.

Stop overthinking it and just ride the wave.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

At this level you get inconsistent players.

If they all hit form at the same time theres a very decent chance theyll lose form at the same time.

Stop overthinking it and just ride the wave.

Does that mean you're gonna give the stats up?

6 hours ago, AW saint said:

Or visa versa

Kiltie has impressed in the more forward role he was given this season. I think he’d be wasted playing deeper. 

Absolutely this.  Nahmani has looked composed and comfortable on the ball.  He’s got goals in him.

18 hours ago, AW saint said:

In the cold light of day we need to keep backing the side. Are we struggling right now? Yes we are. 

I think something is missing from our early season form. 

We lack a natural finisher and our midfield is not winning enough battles. 

Why not give Jamieson a chance, too?

3 minutes ago, Black_and_White_Stripes said:

Why not give Jamieson a chance, too?

Either way.

Bottom line is that of the 3 main strikers that have been used, Mandron hasn’t scored in the last 5 games, Greive hasn’t scored since the home game against Aberdeen and Olusanya hasn’t scored since the first game of the season.

So surely it’s time the likes of Nahmani, Jamieson (and of course Ayunga now he’s back) get some reasonable game time to see what they can do?

On 28/11/2023 at 21:40, medals said:

Dire tonight

1 shot on target over 90 minutes.

Got what we deserved though they were just as bad.

I’m not even sure that was on target , I’m sure it was going wide but their keeper simply couldn’t take any chances. 

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Either way.

Bottom line is that of the 3 main strikers that have been used, Mandron hasn’t scored in the last 5 games, Greive hasn’t scored since the home game against Aberdeen and Olusanya hasn’t scored since the first game of the season.

So surely it’s time the likes of Nahmani, Jamieson (and of course Ayunga now he’s back) get some reasonable game time to see what they can do?

We can't afford proven top flight strikers (like most of the other diddy clubs), with the exception of Steven Thompson who signed partly for sentimental reasons (and bloody grateful I am for this) the only other 15 goal a season striker (top flight) we've had recently is Michael Higdon, before that it was Frank McAvennie in 84/85 - so one in 40 years.

We have to rely on bits and pieces and hope the manager can come up with a formula that will allow a miracle.....

32 minutes ago, btb said:

We can't afford proven top flight strikers (like most of the other diddy clubs), with the exception of Steven Thompson who signed partly for sentimental reasons (and bloody grateful I am for this) the only other 15 goal a season striker (top flight) we've had recently is Michael Higdon, before that it was Frank McAvennie in 84/85 - so one in 40 years.

We have to rely on bits and pieces and hope the manager can come up with a formula that will allow a miracle.....

What’s that got to do with my post?

All I am saying is that if the two bit mediocre strikers we’ve mainly been using haven’t scored in donkeys, then it’s time to give the other two bit, mediocre strikers we have an equally fair crack of the whip. 

Edited by TPAFKA Jersey 2

Robinson can shuffle around the strikers but it's unlikely that any of them are gonna score 15 league goals in the top flight. What we currently have and have to rely on is being a hard working unit where the goals will be spread around - that is the magic bullet for a diddy club like Saints.

I've read similar posts to your original most seasons we've been in the top flight.

1 hour ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What’s that got to do with my post?

All I am saying is that if the two bit mediocre strikers we’ve mainly been using haven’t scored in donkeys, then it’s time to give the other two bit, mediocre strikers we have an equally fair crack of the whip. 

I agree with you. Jamieson scored 8 in 18 games for Airdrie. Given a chance, he could turn out to be prolific. 

When strikers aren't getting any shots on target, then there's no chance we're scoring. You can't really do worse than 0 shots on target, so we have nothing to lose.

17 hours ago, btb said:

Robinson can shuffle around the strikers but it's unlikely that any of them are gonna score 15 league goals in the top flight. What we currently have and have to rely on is being a hard working unit where the goals will be spread around - that is the magic bullet for a diddy club like Saints.

I've read similar posts to your original most seasons we've been in the top flight.

What nonsense. 

Let’s not bother changing the strikers coz the other ones we have probably won’t be much better?

What’s the point in having them then?

If Hemming started chucking balls into the back of our net, would you say let’s not play Urminsky because he’s not going to be much better?

3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

What nonsense. 

Let’s not bother changing the strikers coz the other ones we have probably won’t be much better?

What’s the point in having them then?

If Hemming started chucking balls into the back of our net, would you say let’s not play Urminsky because he’s not going to be much better?

That's not what I said, in fact it's the exact opposite, I said (or attempted to) that we can afford a certain calibre of striker and we have to hope/trust that the manager can find a  combination that will be more than the sum of the parts.

Just now, btb said:

That's not what I said, in fact it's the exact opposite, I said (or attempted to) that we can afford a certain calibre of striker and we have to hope/trust that the manager can find a  combination that will be more than the sum of the parts.

Yes but you said it specifically in response to my post saying it was time to change the strikers. If you didn’t mean it as a counter to my point then fair enough, but if it was just an independent statement/point, then I’m not sure you needed to quote my post to make it.

However, I think every St. Mirren fan is very well up on the quality of striker we’re generally able to attract. 

20 hours ago, btb said:

I've mentioned this before in your thread and some folk took it the wrong way and got a bit pissy about it but as broad observation Robinson didn't really get goals out of the strikers he signed when he was with us - and he signed plenty. It's not a criticism of him and shouldn't be taken as one but it's interesting to see this sort of discussion appear in your thread (again).

Me calling it a blind spot before was maybe a bit unfair as it's clear he values and prioritises other attributes from his strikers but it's definitely a common theme.

A good example is Devante Cole - who he signed twice. We got 5 goals in 30 games from him under Robinson - pretty much as soon as Robbo was out the door he hit a prolific streak under Alexander with 11 in 23 which got him his move to Barnsley where he's currently their top scorer.

Tony Watt's another example (albeit less compelling given his form at other clubs): he was the league's top scorer when United popped up and chucked money at him - he scored 9 goals in total for Robinson.

The one player he had who scored goals was Moult who he inherited as he was at the club when he took the job.

On 19/03/2023 at 13:27, capt_oats said:

I know Saints fans are quite touchy about 'Well fans popping up in their thread offering opinions on Robinson (despite him generally being thought of as one of our best managers in recent times) but nevertheless - and with no snark intended - this was actually one of Robinson's blind spots when he was with us.

In his 3 full seasons at the club the top goalscorer in his first season was a player he inherited who left midway through the season (Moult (14)), his 2nd and 3rd seasons his top goalscorers were midfielders (Turnbull (15) and Donnelly (11)).

We were discussing KVV in our thread earlier in the season and how he compared with our other strikers over the years.

In comparison here's every forward Robinson signed during his time at the club - it's worth pointing out that both Watt and Cole only really started scoring regularly under Alexander:

• Alex Fisher (0 in 19) 
  • George Newell (0 in 10)
  • Curtis Main (14 in 58)
  • Nadir Ciftci (3 in 15)
  • Danny Johnson (8 in 28)
  • Conor Sammon (3 in 21)
  • Ross McCormack (0 in 4)
  • Chris Long (17 in 66)
  • Christy Manzinga (1 in 7)
  • Ross MacIver (1 in 9)
  • Tony Watt (19 in 70)
  • Devante Cole (16 in 52)
  • Jordan White (0 in 20).

f**k.

SR needs to get the RWB position sorted ASAP then, and stop dicking about with McMenamin there - he's simply not a defender.

I'd even be happy with Fraser at RWB and Bolton coming in to the back 3 over McMenamin dropping in at RWB.

Failing that, Flynn is an adequate defender when needed.

Not sure how much Small has played on the right hand side, but could be another shot.

The injury to Strain is a kick in the balls, as so much of what he does is why we've done so well.