The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

On 03/01/2024 at 17:39, Div said:

Think Elvis will be our first choice RWB after the break allowing Fraser to move back to RCB.

He can also cover for Tanser if he's injured/suspended.

Sounds like Strain is going to be out for the majority of the season going by Robbo's post match comments last night but I think with Fraser providing the cover option there we won't see us rushing to bring in another Wing Back.

Offord coming back is a strange one but I imagine he'll go out somewhere else, he's maybe been recalled because Edinburgh are getting hammered every week and/or as Stu suggests maybe they can't afford his wage percentage.

Wouldn't be surprised if Aberdeen offered Baccus a PCA and if he was to agree that then the inevitable cash bid to spring him early will come in.

Someone else I spoke to said they expect Bacchus to go for a small fee. I’m not sure that helps our cause. I’d rather he stayed and played out the season rather than take 25 grand or something. We won’t replace Bacchus like for like - I’d also hope he moves south rather than Aberdeen. 

7 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

Someone else I spoke to said they expect Bacchus to go for a small fee. I’m not sure that helps our cause. I’d rather he stayed and played out the season rather than take 25 grand or something. We won’t replace Bacchus like for like - I’d also hope he moves south rather than Aberdeen. 

Out of contract in the summer or not, the notion we would sell Baccus for 25k is laughable. There would be zero logic in that at this stage.

Edited by Billy Jean King

2 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Out of contract in the summer or not, the notion we would sell Baccus for 25k is laughable. There would be zero logic in that at this stage.

What if you got offered 20% of the next fee too?

25 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What if you got offered 20% of the next fee too?

Pretty big gamble to accept a pittance with a sell on. Most players end up running down contracts and moving on, so I think the chances of a bumper pay deal from a sell on aren't great.

For Baccus to leave now I'd be looking for at least £200k with a decent sell on.

Here is a copy of the interview with Robinson from the Herald (might also be in the PDE too)...

“We need to refresh ourselves and get new bodies in,” Robinson said.

“There's not loads wrong - we are sitting fifth in the table after a year where we finished in the top six.

“There's a lot of good stuff, a lot of positives, it's now up to me to try and keep that going and sign players that I owe to the current players to give them another boost and a kick-on. We are going to have to do a little bit of wheeling and dealing to do that.

“Everybody would have [taken our current position at the start of the season], of course. But now we are here, when you get something in life you get used to it, and we want more of it. That's the challenge, to give that.

“People were talking about Europe and a couple of people were talking about breaking the top two up and things like that earlier in the season.

“If we can remain a top six side, that's a huge goal for us. And you can start to establish yourself, you can start attracting more players and moving forward. That's our aim, that's our challenge, to try and repeat what we did last season, and we are on course to do that.

“But when you have had a taste of stuff and gone unbeaten and you taste a few defeats, it's harder to take for everybody.”

The reality of St Mirren’s financial station though means that Robinson will have to evacuate to accumulate when it comes to January signings.

“Certainly, there will have to be people going out for me to strengthen,” he said.

“There's not a bottomless pit to go and invest in the squad. We need to move people out and it's up to me to do that.

“That's the hard bit of football because sometimes, through nobody's fault, you need to create some funds to strengthen areas we are weak in. We need to do that, and we are going to spend the whole of January trying to do that.

“We have already got plenty of targets. Attracting them and getting them up to Scottish football is quite difficult at times, but we are working on it.”

--

“Unless it's a ridiculous offer, and then it becomes a financial decision for the football club, which I totally understand, the board are in no rush to sell anybody,” he said.

“It will have to be at a very good price, and we must have a replacement for them.

“Our challenge is, for the resources we have, we have got a very good starting XI. We don't pay them particularly well but to replace them on that level of resource is very, very difficult.

“To strengthen your starting XI is very difficult but if we can overall enhance our squad and add a little bit of freshness, it's been a very, very good year and we have to try and kick on.

“I'm confident the group of boys we have that we want to keep at the football club, will still be here.”

Edited by Ric

33 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

Pretty big gamble to accept a pittance with a sell on. Most players end up running down contracts and moving on, so I think the chances of a bumper pay deal from a sell on aren't great.

For Baccus to leave now I'd be looking for at least £200k with a decent sell on.

This time last year I was assured we'd get a "high six figures or low seven for Baccus".

Keep Baccus, if he's willing to stay.

If he's going to somewhere like Aberdeen they will claim he's worth buttons while at the same time claiming their big lad up front is worth £20m. We won't get a decent deal from them, and for me, I see it as an easy write off if he continues to play to the level we know he can.

1 minute ago, Arch Stanton said:

The last time Sky covered a SaInts away league match in the top division was THIRTEEN YEARS ago

What fixture was that? I remember us playing a 0-0 away to Hamilton on ESPN (?) the same day as Sky had the 6-6 game from Fir Park 🤣

12 minutes ago, flyingscot said:

What fixture was that? I remember us playing a 0-0 away to Hamilton on ESPN (?) the same day as Sky had the 6-6 game from Fir Park 🤣

Was it an Aberdeen game?

Edit - Think that was way earlier IIRC.

Edited by FTOF

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

Dunfermline away first game of the season IIRC.

3 hours ago, Lex said:

Dunfermline away first game of the season IIRC.

I remember that game well. Hasselbaink and Teale were excellent but we just lacked a cutting edge. 

We had a few games on BT Sport even back in the Championship days.  

18 hours ago, Norrie82 said:

I've got a feeling you might be right , don't know if he already has agreed to go to a team or if there are a couple of teams interested.  But I wouldn't be surprised if he has played his last game for us .  Would love him to sign a new contract , but I don't think it will happen . Wonder if one of his Australian team mates has been trying to influence his next move .

22 minutes ago, Road Dogg said:

Maybe when Baccus is away, folk will learn how to spell his name 

To be fair, it was only one misspelling of his name.

I tried, and failed, to think of a witty wine related reply...........................................

Edited by FTOF

11 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I tried, and failed, to think of a witty wine related reply...........................................

If there was a pile-on because I misspelled his name I'd hope at least one person would Baccus up.

1 hour ago, FTOF said:

To be fair, it was only one misspelling of his name.

We should sell Baccus right now, try to make a buck fast.