The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

7 hours ago, Molotov said:

Hitting top 6 for us this season will be hugely significant as we are definitely punching above rivals in the league with greater resources.

Being able to use that additional prize money to start negotiations with some existing players, staff and new targets early doors will hopefully set us up for next season. 

Your current season accounts will show you paying off the entire covid loan (£1.75m) too, seeing as you decided to do it in one lump sum rather than make smaller payments earlier on while everyone else was.

42 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

I agree with your point and think that overall he was a good manager for us, but we were hardly comfortable in his first season. If we'd lost that final game against hearts by 2 goals we'd have been relegated. His time with us was generally an upward trend though and we were unfortunate to not achieve a top 6 finish.

Fair point. Looking back it feels a lot more comfortable than than the previous season's penalty shoot out play off. Although, given Dundee Utd's ability to score penalties it was maybe similar.

9 hours ago, bishoptonbuddie said:

Jim Goodwin would never have been appointed St Mirren manager if it wasn't for his past association with the club. He was appointed because of who he was, not because of what he had done as a manager at Alloa, which was bang average. 

Don’t agree with this at all. St Mirren have appointed three managers directly from Alloa in my lifetime (Hendrie, Ross and Goodwin) and regularly take punts on guys from the part time teams - Lennon and Murray being other recent examples. In terms of his time at Alloa being ‘bang average’ he got them promoted to the championship and then kept them up? He had a better record with them than either Ross or Hendrie.
In terms of his time at St Mirren he inherited a shambles that finished 11th and stayed up on a pen shoot out. We finished 9th in his first season, 7th in his second - when the 0-3 COVID games having to be replayed shafted us - and then left us in the top six in his third. We also performed well in the cups. Like every St Mirren manager there were and downs, but the overall trend was clearly continually upwards.
I think COVID has probably contributed to a lot of the retrospective negativity toward his reign. Highlights that would have been hugely memorable (winning at Parkhead, being the only Scottish team to beat Gerard’s Rangers in 90 mins in the season they won the league, winning 1-5 at Tannadice etc) all had to be watched on TV. It just ain’t the same. 

2 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Your current season accounts will show you paying off the entire covid loan (£1.75m) too, seeing as you decided to do it in one lump sum rather than make smaller payments earlier on while everyone else was.

How are you getting all this financial information from within our club?

It is my understanding that the COVID loan has started to being repaid. It is being processed on a annual basis to an agreed schedule.

The credit facility agreement specifies that the total amount borrowed is to be repaid in equal instalments starting on the 1st of September 2022, and ending on the 1st of August 2042. The Scottish Government can vary the timing and amount of repayments.”

There are conflicting reports in Scot Gov FOI requests surrounding this. 

This FOI response is published 11th December 2023 but was responded in May 2023.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/details-of-loans-made-to-scottish-football-clubs-foi-release/

IMG_7737.thumb.jpeg.cb74eea8043fc9b14a9cc3c5c2cf7204.jpegIMG_7740.thumb.jpeg.00d5d3ced4b9b67ed302ee915f7522e3.jpeg

There is an FOI Request responded on 24th August 2023

https://www.gov.scot/publications/scottish-football-clubs-in-receipt-of-interest-free-loans-foi-release/

and the position of the clubs taking the loan was:

IMG_7735.thumb.jpeg.c31affd6d5773c6eaf4756b0a7e926ea.jpeg

Notable absences including St Johnstone, Hamilton, United. Does that imply that those clubs no longer have loans? Seems highly unlikely.

Given the loan was interest free why would the St Mirren FC Ltd club board pay this off far sooner than the terms of the agreement?

That makes no sense whatsoever. 

Please explain to a concerned shareholder why my club board would be following your path of reason.

It makes no commercial sense to pay off an interest free loan over 20 years in less than two years.

Do you work at the Scottish Government and have access to such information from each club?

Please show your working. 

Edited by Molotov

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

@Molotov

Screenshot_20240224_085246_Chrome.thumb.jpg.9fd4ab3face0a8b26c04ff13b855cda2.jpg

Reading it again and ive misread it? 

I at least supplied the appropriate link. 

This image you supplied came from this article:

https://www.gov.scot/publications/foi-202300359038/

The response is dated : 26th June 2023.

I can confirm that at the last AGM this issue was discussed and payments on an annual basis have started. I can’t remember why this loan repayment delay was being reported as such. 

You can always raise an additional FOI if you want further clarification. How accurate that response is will depend on who researches the information as it’s clear that there are conflicting reports from that Government source.

@RandomGuy.

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

I don’t believe this claim to be accurate. It is my understanding that St Mirren are paying off in instalments annually. 

Was it you who claimed previously that St Mirren used the majority of the Covid loan to spend on players?

I believe that there was clear guidance on what the loan would cover and clubs had to provide evidence to support a loan. 

Maybe we need you photographed outside the SMiSA stadium by the national press claiming “St Mirren are Covid loan cheats”.

IMG_7742.thumb.jpeg.1f701dab04e2db5b457d46100d6ed94b.jpeg

4 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

Any supporter digging into the repayment of loans by a club other than their own is utter oddball behaviour. Why would that even cross someone's mind. It smacks of some sort of obsessive syndrome !

Because i was looking up our repayments and that article came up.

Edited by RandomGuy.

15 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

If you calm down and look about 50 paragraphs ago youll see me admit i misread it.

You wrote

Putting a question mark after that sentence could easily imply a different interpretation to what you are now claiming. 

5 minutes ago, Molotov said:

You wrote

Putting a question mark after that sentence could easily imply a different interpretation to what you are now claiming. 

If ive misread it once theres a chance ive misread it twice.

3 minutes ago, Molotov said:

@RandomGuy.

I am pretty sure that you have claimed in the past that St Mirren FC Ltd have misused the agreements of the Covid loan.

Am I incorrect in saying that?

Or do I need to search the forum. 

Its common knowledge how you used your covid loan. 

3 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

Quick question Random, how many fans will you bring down from Perth today?

Screenshot_20240224_102554_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.0f95842d253a047a7b9cd8e8f1cfca22.jpg

Thats what shows when you go to buy a ticket.

Suspect itll be one youll take the pish out of. Think we're now at 3 goals (+1 own goal) away in the league all season, and we've been eye bleedingly bad since the winter break. Theres almost no reason to attend our matches just now bar habit, as we wont be exciting in the slightest.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Its common knowledge how you used your covid loan. 

Please provide evidence. Not discussions on an internet forum. 

Why don’t you pass on this information to the relevant authorities?

You are clearly suggesting inappropriate use of a government loan.

That’s a bold claim. 

7 minutes ago, Friskysteed said:

No, not going to take the pish. It was you who said your away support was better than Livy or County. I just wanted to see if the evidence backed up that claim. 
I would wish you well today, but…….

When?

5 minutes ago, Molotov said:

I’ve often wondered @RandomGuy.

Do you use a keyboard that has no ability to display apostrophes?

That buttons too high up so my forehead misses it.