The European football level St. Mirren FC 2024/25 thread

3 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

There’s a player in there, definitely. Actually wouldn’t mind him as a squad player, if he came back.

He's far from a bad player, I'm just not sure what level he's at. He didn't grab the opportunity with United, although you have to weigh in the Goodwin factor to that.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

He's far from a bad player, I'm just not sure what level he's at. He didn't grab the opportunity with United, although you have to weigh in the Goodwin factor to that.

Maybe he’s one of those guys, like Van Zanten and Shuggie (and Gogic?), where he just fits right in here, and St Mirren is the place for him. Stelios was another. Just seemed to be a good fit. 

9 goals in 75 apps for Greive. I think we all wanted him to develop and do well for us but he’s not really changed at all from the guy who first rocked up from the lower leagues in NZ.

Popped up with some important goals and I’m grateful for that but it’s best for both us and him if we part ways.

18 minutes ago, Ric said:

Yeah, never going to judge a striker who's failing to perform in a Jim Goodwin team.

However...

Just now, SS77 said:

9 goals in 75 apps for Greive. I think we all wanted him to develop and do well for us but he’s not really changed at all from the guy who first rocked up from the lower leagues in NZ.

Popped up with some important goals and I’m grateful for that but it’s best for both us and him if we part ways.

This is spot on. I've made the point before that Grieve was never offering anything wildly different to what was already on the pitch. If you're looking for someone to change a game, you chuck on Olusanya over him every single time.

16 minutes ago, SS77 said:

This is it for me, there was a lot of good will for the lad to succeed, he worked hard, never seemed to be annoyed at his limited appearances and chucked in a couple of crucial late goals, but I think the ship has sailed.

53 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Agree wholeheartedly with this. Greive tried his hardest, he was far from a dud, and I think we did all like him. There’s a player in there, definitely. Actually wouldn’t mind him as a squad player, if he came back.

Whilst I like Greive as an honest hard working player we have too many so called squad strikers who don't get enough goals. 

Olusanya would have been in that catagory but he has turned it around by adding goals to his game. 

Out of our current crop of strikers only Mandron and Toyosi should be retained imo

Don’t think anyone expected much when we heard we had signed an amateur from New Zealand so in that respect he definitely exceeded my expectations and always looked like he could do something coming off the bench but certainly not a starter. Would be surprised if we offer a new deal. 

Just now, AW saint said:

Keep hearing that Jacob Bedeau will be with us next season

Think this was pretty much a lock from the moment Morecambe knocked us back last season. He was Robinson's top defensive target last season for LCB and has apparently had another good season. The years extension for Dunne was the end of our interest.

@RandomGuy. any chance of a graph? 

33 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Think this was pretty much a lock from the moment Morecambe knocked us back last season. He was Robinson's top defensive target last season for LCB and has apparently had another good season. The years extension for Dunne was the end of our interest.

@RandomGuy. any chance of a graph? 

Remains a good, well rounded, LCB. "Style wise" it compares him to Marcus Fraser and Richard Taylor, if that means anything.

bed.thumb.png.f257a70967958e74ba293711dd76b86c.png

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

He was a Danny Mullen type. Came up with goals at some big moments in matches but just wasn't a goalscorer.

He will be going with the best of wishes.

Nah, he was more an Alan Logan type. Ran nonstop with the odd cameo appearance. 

17 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Remains a good, well rounded, LCB. "Style wise" it compares him to Marcus Fraser and Richard Taylor, if that means anything.

bed.thumb.png.f257a70967958e74ba293711dd76b86c.png

Cheers! Taylor is very good at LCB and still developing but has been out of the team lately. Fraser does OK in that role but struggles a wee bit sometimes due to not being left footed in the slightest.

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Cheers! Taylor is very good at LCB and still developing but has been out of the team lately. Fraser does OK in that role but struggles a wee bit sometimes due to not being left footed in the slightest.

Aye Fraser comparison wasn't a direct one as a LCB, just a "these centre backs are playing a similar style (aerial more than ground/progressive passes rather than simple etc.), so it likely means Bedeau is either in a system similar to your own, or he plays a similar way.

Either way he seems like a good fit for your defence while also being a good player.

22 hours ago, smellthepaw said:

Baccus actually does have a niggling injury which prevented him going to Bolton last summer.

I was under the impression Baccus felt it was not the right move did they not still have financial problems at the time ? 

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

Aye Fraser comparison wasn't a direct one as a LCB, just a "these centre backs are playing a similar style (aerial more than ground/progressive passes rather than simple etc.), so it likely means Bedeau is either in a system similar to your own, or he plays a similar way.

Either way he seems like a good fit for your defence while also being a good player.

First choice back three of Bolton, Gogic and Bedeau is both encouraging and refreshingly settled sounding.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

First choice back three of Bolton, Gogic and Bedeau is both encouraging and refreshingly settled sounding.

I'd find it difficult to bump Marcus Fraser out the starting 11. Who'd be a manager?

5 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Yeah, no harm to Fraser but he's being managed towards a backup role. Not because there's anything wrong with him, but because we are rightly looking to improve.

Edit: just saw @houston_bud's post. It's definitely a tough one. I wouldn't have the stones to be that ruthless.