The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

52 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Out of interest are there any ton players that St.mirren fans have had a real dislike for recently? Don't think we've had a c**t in the Goodwin mould. 

Morton have been such an irrelevance to us for so long that many of us would struggle to name more than a couple of your players from the last 15 years. 

23 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It's impossible to answer that without sounding like I'm trolling, but you've been so far below us it's been quite difficult to care. :whistle

Another few seasons like the last couple and I'm sure we'll develop some hatred for one or two. 

Players generally don't hang around for as long, either, so it's sometimes hard for antipathy to really kick in.

That was partly why I asked and I'm genuinely not surprised to hear you say that. Stevie Mallan was probably the closest for me last season although I wouldn't say I hated him just disliked the wee c**t because he was a cracking player and wore the black and white!

8 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

Not really,its the same the world over.The wee insignificant team hates the big team and its players with a passion,the big team could not

give a flying f**k about the mickey mouse outfit 

And for every Coventry Saint there's a Kanyewestbank:)

4 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

That was partly why I asked and I'm genuinely not surprised to hear you say that. Stevie Mallan was probably the closest for me last season although I wouldn't say I hated him just disliked the wee c**t because he was a cracking player and wore the black and white!

Even as a fan, he definitely had one of those faces :lol:

I am drawn to dislike the players that you guys like more, but generally I think you have a difficult-to-dislike squad at the moment. 

Mind, if you can be bothered, have a look at our highlights from the weekend. We're 2-0  up when Airdrie are given a penalty against us and Gary McKenzie has an absolute heads gone moment. I could imagine him being a player that might wind opponents up a little more this season. :lol:

I think I've pasted the time code correctly here:

37 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

I am drawn to dislike the players that you guys like more, but generally I think you have a difficult-to-dislike squad at the moment. 

Mind, if you can be bothered, have a look at our highlights from the weekend. We're 2-0  up when Airdrie are given a penalty against us and Gary McKenzie has an absolute heads gone moment. I could imagine him being a player that might wind opponents up a little more this season. :lol:

Whose the imposter missing the penalty? Would be one of the worst I've seen in a while if it hadn't been for Hearts efforts against the pars.  Theirs been some horrible misses in the league cup this season.

15 minutes ago, geo87 said:

He couldn't have been cheap even with his injury. Hopefully we have similar space left on wage bill for a
Striker

We don't, unless we offload Sutton and/or Quinn. Or unless we secure a good loan deal...

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Whose the imposter missing the penalty? Would be one of the worst I've seen in a while if it hadn't been for Hearts efforts against the pars.  Theirs been some horrible misses in the league cup this season.

Andy Ryan :lol:

Safe to say our reported interest in him seems to have cooled since the weekend.

49 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Haha. He looks as if he wants to leather the referee.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Add in Jim Dick, Ken Eadie and (puts tin hat on) Jim Goodwin!

Out of interest are there any ton players that St.mirren fans have had a real dislike for recently? Don't think we've had a c**t in the Goodwin mould. 

We were so shite last season, bar the final match between us, I was finding it difficult not to hate some Saints players, never mind your players.

I don't have any great dislike for any of your current players. O'Ware comes closest in mild dislike, simply because he keeps scoring against us from unmarked headers!

25 minutes ago, minijc said:

What's the best 11 for your side and what formation do you expect Ross to play this season?  thanks

We looked set for a 4-2-3-1, but we don't really have a striker who can lead the line on his own, and one of our better midfielders is out, so it looks like a 4-4-2 is on the cards.

As things stand:

------------Samson

Irvine - Baird - Mckenzie - Stelios

Smith - McShane - McGinn - Morgan

-------------Sutton - Reilly

If everyone was fit and we signed a new striker:

------------Samson

Irvine - Davis - McKenzie - Eckersley

------McShane - McGinn

Magennis - Smith - Morgan

-------------Striker-------------

26 minutes ago, minijc said:

What's the best 11 for your side and what formation do you expect Ross to play this season?  thanks

When the injuries clear up the starting formation should be along the following lines ....

Samson

Irvine   MacKenzie   Davis   Eckersley/Stelios

Magennis    McShane   McGinn       Morgan

Reilly  Smith

We are on the lookout for another striker as Reilly cannot appear to play there on his own and Smith may take over Magennis role moving Magennis inside to replace McShane.

But 4-4-2 if Reilly is playing.

29 minutes ago, FTOF said:

We were so shite last season, bar the final match between us, I was finding it difficult not to hate some Saints players, never mind your players.

I don't have any great dislike for any of your current players. O'Ware comes closest in mild dislike, simply because he keeps scoring against us from unmarked headers!

Lol. That was me the season we were relegated to league 1. I was so busy berating a lot of our players that I couldn't give a f**k about anyone else.

12 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

We looked set for a 4-2-3-1, but we don't really have a striker who can lead the line on his own, and one of our better midfielders is out, so it looks like a 4-4-2 is on the cards.

As things stand:

------------Samson

Irvine - Baird - Mckenzie - Stelios

Smith - McShane - McGinn - Morgan

-------------Sutton - Reilly

If everyone was fit and we signed a new striker:

------------Samson

Irvine - Davis - McKenzie - Eckersley

------McShane - McGinn

Magennis - Smith - Morgan

-------------Striker-------------

I think a big part of Reilly's problem in a 4-2-3-1 has been the lack of support from behind. All very well being a loan striker, but the three behind have to give you some help, and against Thistle especially, he got none, with Smith, Kirkpatrick and being pushed far too deep to be of any real assistance.

2 hours ago, Mr.Blue said:

Add in Jim Dick, Ken Eadie and (puts tin hat on) Jim Goodwin!

As said, O'Ware probably comes the closest. Mainly because, again as said before, he's got a knack of scoring (or nearly scoring) against us. I wouldn't go as far as to say I hated him, just heard myself say things like "We'll need to watch that cnut O'Ware" or, more often "Why's nobody marking that cnut O'ware"

Edited by Saint Garf

45 minutes ago, minijc said:

At the moment, on Saturday, without any further additions or miraculous recovery from injury, we'll line up:

Samson

Irvine Baird MacKenzie Stelios

Smith McShane McGinn Morgan

Reilly Sutton

with Davis, Magennis, Eckersley, Hilson vying for starting places when they get back from injury, and Todd, Kirkpatrick, Stewart and Buchanan as decent backup. Another striker will come in.