The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Arch Stanton said:

Thanks also for the other post on the Scottish cup defeat of 2004 when we definitely had a better team than yesterday which won promotion as champions to Division 1. I once lived near (as a young boy) Jacky McGugan who won the Scottish Cup with St Mirren in 1959. I can't remember ever seeing Airdrie win at Love street but the archives might remind me yet.

2 minutes ago, Chapelhall chap said:

Thanks also for the other post on the Scottish cup defeat of 2004 when we definitely had a better team than yesterday which won promotion as champions to Division 1. I once lived near (as a young boy) Jacky McGugan who won the Scottish Cup with St Mirren in 1959. I can't remember ever seeing Airdrie win at Love street but the archives might remind me yet.

Well, there was this one which was, IIRC, Tony Fitzpatrick's final game as manager (2nd time around)

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1998&GameID=199812120

37 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Well, there was this one which was, IIRC, Tony Fitzpatrick's final game as manager (2nd time around)

http://www.stmirrenprogrammes.co.uk/StMirren/STM_Match_Details.php?Season=1998&GameID=199812120

Reading that Airdrie team out, has there ever been a larger collection of arseholes that nobody likes in Scottish football in the last three decades? 

Apart from Rangers of course. 

18 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Reading that Airdrie team out, has there ever been a larger collection of arseholes that nobody likes in Scottish football in the last three decades? 

Three of that Airdrie team, Johnston, Cooper and McGrillen, are no longer with us, scary when you consider it was less than 20 years ago.

57 minutes ago, Hendo said:

Three of that Airdrie team, Johnston, Cooper and McGrillen, are no longer with us, scary when you consider it was less than 20 years ago.

I had no idea Cooper and Johnston had passed away. 

5 hours ago, houston_bud said:

That was the season we won the First Division in 99/00. We put 6 past Raith on their own patch and 8 past Clydebank at home too.

We played each other in a Scottish Cup tie in about 2004 i think. We won 2-0 if memory serves, Barry Lavety in his 3rd spell got one of the goals.

There were also games in 2001/02. Despite us being laughably bad and finishing eighth, we managed to take eight points out of 12 against Airdrie and didn't lose at all. Brian McGinty scored three goals against them :lol: Yardley's last goal at Love Street was against them.

It's appropriate Basher's last Saints goal was against Airdrie in that cup game as his previous last goal was against them in their previous guise.

4 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Right you, back aff, he's a Sons man.

Just a matter of time until he signs for us then.

2 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

A fair chunk of that Saints team were key players in the Millennium Champions season that followed but there were some chancers in there too, including McQuilter and Creaney - the latter making Yardley look slim. Scrimgour consistently getting the nod over Ludo was ridiculous and they swapped over as soon as Fitzy left. Leaving O'Brien and McNamee on the bench probably didn't help his cause either when you consider they were punted to Blackburn for £600k before the end of the season.

That will be where he seen it then [emoji23]. Unless you are mystic meg.

Haha... unfortunately not. The rumour will probably appear in the sun within the next few days, they get most of their football info from speculation on forums.

Definitely think we should be asking the question to Hibs, he's not gonna play much for them this season.

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

It's a close run thing, but at times Gretna were lining up with combinations of Alan Main, Stevie Tosh, James Grady, Andy Smith, David Graham and David Bingham in the same team.

7 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

It's a close run thing, but at times Gretna were lining up with combinations of Alan Main, Stevie Tosh, James Grady, Andy Smith, David Graham and David Bingham in the same team.

You had me at Alan Main. The c**t.

17 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

I had no idea Cooper and Johnston had passed away. 

Stevie died suddenly from a Brain tumour and even more sadly Paul McGrillen and Forbes Johnson took their own lives. As for that Airdrie team's players  having such a poor reputation from djc I would gently disagree.

On 30/07/2017 at 19:36, djchapsticks said:

Add in Jim Dick, Ken Eadie and (puts tin hat on) Jim Goodwin!

Out of interest are there any ton players that St.mirren fans have had a real dislike for recently? Don't think we've had a c**t in the Goodwin mould. 

22 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Add in Jim Dick, Ken Eadie and (puts tin hat on) Jim Goodwin!

Out of interest are there any ton players that St.mirren fans have had a real dislike for recently? Don't think we've had a c**t in the Goodwin mould. 

It's impossible to answer that without sounding like I'm trolling, but you've been so far below us it's been quite difficult to care. :whistle

Another few seasons like the last couple and I'm sure we'll develop some hatred for one or two. 

Players generally don't hang around for as long, either, so it's sometimes hard for antipathy to really kick in.