The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Just now, NorthBank said:

I thought he looked pretty decent but did a bad injury not send him back down South? He was only a young lad with us but read the game well and his passing was good but too young for the position and the responsibility.

Seems to have been the case re: injury. Robinson references it in the bit of blurb about his signing. Seems we had him in to look at him for a while a couple of weeks ago but has been bouncing a few clubs since he was released by City at the end of the season. He was on trial at Bradford and was at Chesterfield last week. I don't know whether or not Stevie Hammell's injury at the weekend has expedited things a bit.

7 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Seems to have been the case re: injury. Robinson references it in the bit of blurb about his signing. Seems we had him in to look at him for a while a couple of weeks ago but has been bouncing a few clubs since he was released by City at the end of the season. He was on trial at Bradford and was at Chesterfield last week. I don't know whether or not Stevie Hammell's injury at the weekend has expedited things a bit.

He made his debut at Motherwell on the first game of the season and was the first sweeper I had seem in the stripes for a long while. That day he looked reasonably composed and one of the better signings of that close season. We got beat 1-0 even though I thought we were the better team (did Goody get sent off?). He did make a few mistakes but there was obvious talent about the lad. But he did not last long. Injury and months of rehab ended his brief stint with us.

38 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We've just signed Ellis Plummer who was apparently with you guys for a short while. What's the script with him? Any good?

Good young player in the little I saw of him. Was restricted to only a handful of games due to injury and was sent back for that reason. I remember him being pretty good on the ball, reasonably quick, and a bit short for a centre back, but was also capable of playing left back from what I remember. Think he'd have been a good signing but for injury.

34 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not really. IIRC we had two Man City lads at the same time. Neither had much of an impact, TBH. Plummer played a few times in one of our shittest ever teams and got sent home early. Go figure.

I literally can't remember the name of the other guy. Petite winger-cum-number-10, which are basically ten a penny in England.

Adam Drury?

Though Plummer looked decent the one time I seen him play, composed on the ball as you would expect for a Man City Academy player.. but he got injured and went back south.

Edited by irvine_buddie

35 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Not really. IIRC we had two Man City lads at the same time. Neither had much of an impact, TBH. Plummer played a few times in one of our shittest ever teams and got sent home early. Go figure.

I literally can't remember the name of the other guy. Petite winger-cum-number-10, which are basically ten a penny in England.

Adam Drury, scored 3 in 12 starts for us. Far from Tommy Craig's worst signing, although that's not saying much...

54 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

We've just signed Ellis Plummer who was apparently with you guys for a short while. What's the script with him? Any good?

Very enthusiastic when looking for a contract and works hard for the first few minutes before asking for a cup of tea and a biscuit. 

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Ill give you a name. James Marwood....

giphy.gif

1 minute ago, ShaggerG said:

Very enthusiastic when looking for a contract and works hard for the first few minutes before asking for a cup of tea and a biscuit. 

His spell at Saints was hardly flushed with success...

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

I thought he looked pretty decent but did a bad injury not send him back down South? He was only a young lad with us but read the game well and his passing was good but too young for the position and the responsibility.

Was it not rumoured that he was feigning injury in order to get away from the club. I think this was refuted by his girlfriend

1 minute ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Was it not rumoured that he was feigning injury in order to get away from the club. I think this was refuted by his girlfriend

That rings a bell. I've not seen a player more desperate to leave in January, aside from Gavin Gunning, obviously.

1 hour ago, Gosport Buddie said:

Saints fans love their made-up rumours right enough...

I thought Drury and Plummer were OK. Drury was a bit lightweight. Plummer looked decent enough, especially in first game against Motherwell and a few Well fans seemed to like him that day. Club was a shambles back then so no surprise he went back down south.